What Are You Wearing? - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erey View Post
Klim Latitude and Klim Overland (pant). Nice, quality.
My set up is similar, but the other way round: Klim Latitude pants and Klim Oveland Jacket.

Boots: Daytona TRAVEL STAR GTX (road) and Gaerne GX-1 (off-road )
Helmet: Shoei Hornet Sonora
stormy1954 likes this.

Resigned from purchase in 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:38 AM

If there is anyone who occasionally rides in jeans - armoured ones that is - that can recommend a pair I'm all ears. Thanks.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbeetle View Post
Might need a little sunscreen anotherbiker ;-p

I'm busy looking at dual sport helmets at the moment. I already have an Arai Viper for the road so was thinking an Arai Tour-X 4 such as the following but open for suggestions ??

I figured since I already have an Arai and know the size the above would be a good option but after looking at the prices, holy smokes, they didn't cost that much when I last bought an Arai !

Will also need some new gear as I only have a two-piece Arlenness leather suit currently.
Hi Marsbeetle , like you I have had numerous Arai lids ,, Just found that a Shoei fits me way better and does not move around in the slightest , may fir your head better , and similar price .Regards
marsbeetle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:30 AM

I run Alpinestars Andes Drystar Jacket and trousers, but they were my first touring bike set up having always worn leathers on my sports bikes. They're decent value for money at around 400 for jacket and trousers and very comfortable, but I'll probably get some Ruka kit this year at some point and dig a bit deeper into my pockets
The alpine stars kit I have is totally waterproof though, and I've done 200 mile days in torrential rain and my stuff underneath has stayed totally dry
Have been considering the Dainese D-Air jacket and matching trousers too, which although bloody expensive, could be the best investment you ever make if the worse comes to worse and you send yourself down the tarmac

I use a Shoei Hornet ADV helmet, which is very good and the visor gives no wind buffeting at all, Alpinestars SMX-6 waterproof boots and Richa Goretex gloves

Last edited by graeme4130; 03-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 09:04 AM

I tried the Rukka Armaxion gear at the NEC bike show. It's great quality and well made but even with the liners out it was boiling hot and didn't have great ventilation from what I could tell. I know it was inside the exhibition but it was worse than others I tried on for feeling hot.

I was advised that because of my slender (puny) build the Armaxion was probably the only one that would fit me as it is more of a tailored European cut - whatever that means. Perhaps people who can afford Rukka tend to be older and thus more corpulent. Well, I'm older...just missed out on all the food and drink I guess.

My main requirements are ventilation and protection which leads me more to Klim. But boy is Goretex Pro a stiff fabric to wear... And I don't think Klim cater for the puny build very well.

The search continues.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM

I was wearing a Rukka suit and a Schuberth C3. The Rukka is excellent for cold climates, but a bit too warm for the south of north America.

I've just bought a Klim Apex jacket and Latitude pants. The jacket has 'huge' ventilation zips, which I hope will really help summer rides. And my Arai XD4 Diamante has just arrived, which I think will compliment the red DCT nicely.

I've had BMW touring boots the last ten years. They've never once leaked, but are now literally worn out. I'm fancying one of the latest Sidi touring / Adventure crossover boots. Maybe something like the Canyon?

As someone who grew up in England, but now lives in Georgia where it rarely rains (but when it does - you will surely know about it!), the only advise I'd give is to make sure that 'everything' you buy (gloves, boots, jackets, pants) is has a bonded to outer gore-tex liner - it'll repay you the initial outlay ten fold the next time it's too hot / cold / wet - del as applicable. Oh and body armor - particularly a spine protector too!

For those that can't afford posh togs and lids. Or maybe simply don't want to spend that much, I'd buy cheap unlined waterproofs, because biking is miserable if you're wet or cold. Oh, and still buy an expensive protective helmet anyway - you can survive without some limbs, but your old noggin isn't one of them!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
If there is anyone who occasionally rides in jeans - armoured ones that is - that can recommend a pair I'm all ears. Thanks.
I normally ride in motorcycle jeans and I really like them, the ones I have are made my Hood and I am very happy with them.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

They will do alterations for free which is very useful for short fat people (like me).

Last edited by wytco0; 03-11-2016 at 03:39 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks - I'll take a look at the Hood jeans. When I was last on a bike it was leathers or "nothing"! Times certainly change.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:37 PM
abj

I still ride BMW gear. A rally 3 jacket and pants, BMW system 5 helmet and bmw adventure boots. My gear is almost 5 years old and looking at Klim to change my gear. Would love to buy the rally adventure combo but a bit to expensive. But at the end of the year I probably buy a Klim outfit.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 PM

I have found that some peaks on adventure helmets are not stiff enough for higher road speeds, they vibrate causing slightly blured vision which makes it hard to identify hostile oncoming traffic.I had to stiffen my older arai with a piece of alloy glued under the peak.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page