yamaha, honda suffered engine failures on Dakar Rally... - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

yamaha, honda suffered engine failures on Dakar Rally...

but all ktms run strong, is this coincidences or Japanese quality got worse?
Looks like ktm will win Dakar again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM

I would agree Japanese quality has got worse. You only have to look at the endless issues with Africa Twin. Back in the 80's and 90's I owned many Honda's and tended to hammer them all year round and can't really recall having an issue with any of them. After a good clean up they would look as good as new. After owning a 2016 AT DCT and having had numerous issues with it and after dealing with quite frankly appalling Honda customer services that's me done with Honda.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Some of your comment is relevant of taken with thought. KTM's/huskeys/husas (all KTM's of different flavors lol) made up roughly 2/3rds of the field as well can be argued with the majority of the best riders and support crews. Also keep in mind the mindset of the manufacturers when making their bikes and what market they serve. Last also consider the bike running in Dakar are about as stock as the "stock cars" in a NASCAR race. I would love to see someone beside big orange win it but it isn't given out of charity, KTM has earned it and will continue unless other manufacturers get more serious about racing and supporting racing in competitions like Dakar. FWIW my 2¢

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Don't know about you guys but I wish the AT had the same rear brake lights as those Dakar bikes. The two side by side between the fender and tire looks great

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 PM

Zero issues with my 2008 VFR800 and zero with my 2018 ATAS so far...the fit and finish on my ATAS is second to none as far as I'm concerned as well. I hope neither ever lets me down.
MPNM and Catfishhands like this.

2008 VFR800A
2018 ATAS DCT
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 AM

I don't know where you take you information, I speak french and was watching french TV following Dakar, I've heard of many KTM failures especially one Swiss compatriot
I was following on his race, had a KTM and changed 2 engines he had to abandon the race on day 4 because of motorcycle failure...

But that's more in the non pro racers, which i'd say is even more relevant because we don't buy pro bikes do we !

I've been buying Yamaha, Kawasaki and Honda for the last 10 years and I must agree that the quality has slightly decreased, but the prices have decreased too, so really
can we complain about it, you get what you pay for there's no miracles.
MPNM likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Garage
I mean you also have to consider that race bikes are hyperspecific one-off machines built for a very specific purpose. I get it, a lot of technology trickles down and comes from the race bikes and everything, but production motorcycles are mass produced and intended to run for a long time without needing major maintenance/overhaul.

I know KTM has made large strides recently (especially here in the states) and are starting to really increase their size/market share/move away from being a niche producer of dirtbikes/2 strokes. But Honda sold 19.5 million motorcycles in 2016 vs 200,000 for KTM (this was just a quick google search).

So just to throw numbers around even if 1% off hondas have major failures (195,000 units) that is still waaay more cases/scenarios/issues/problems that people hear about vs if even 20% of KTMs (40,000) have major failures. So it's easy to say 'wow Hondas have so many problems and just arent made like they used to be', even though it's only 1% o f their produced motorcycles vs 20%.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:07 PM

In the end I think it comes down to who wants to win the race the most & from the results you can see KTM does, they have the most professional teams, they dont rely on their past glorys, they build new bikes every year & thoroughly test them in real world racing conditions, thats why they have dominated Dakar for the last 18 years & have won 12 of the last 16 FIM Cross-Country Rally World Championships, 2 of the years they lost went to Husqvarna that are basically white KTM's, Honda & Yamaha have both won it once in 2013 & 2011
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltazulu View Post
Zero issues with my 2008 VFR800 and zero with my 2018 ATAS so far...the fit and finish on my ATAS is second to none as far as I'm concerned as well. I hope neither ever lets me down.
i agree with quality in older bikes but have a close look on the finish at the front of your engine cases, everyone that i have seen lately on the 2018 ATAS is rough mine included. my 2018 ATAS has just gone bang at 400 miles following an oil pump failure, no warning lights even after it failed. Honda thought it was starter clutch until stripped down, im now left riding a CB500X until Honda decide what they are going to do. over the last 16 years i have had the Blackbird and VFR1200 and was so excited when the Adventure sports was released. i have added my thoughts to my thread about the fail but think we need to be mindful that Honda maybe ditching quality to increase profits at our expense. Only time will tell and keeping an eye on other new Honda model forums.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM

No issues at all, 500 miles now on my 2018 ATAS manual. Am very happy with my Honda😁.

2018 Africa Twin Adv Sports 30th Anniversary Edition 😁

Freedom is not free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page