Mexico and beyond - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Mexico and beyond

Hi
I have been itching to ride south this fall (2019) from my home in Richmond BC Canada and continue through until I have had enough which inevitably could be Argentina.
I don't have a problem on going alone however my wife is not coming around to that scenario. So I am writing this thread to see if there is anyone out there that is like minded for a little jaunt south on there motorcycle with me with no commitments from either of us, in other words if things go south then a friendly goodbye and a toast, cheers!
About me: I'm a 62 year old male retired city bus driver N/S S/D in relatively good physical shape for my age no issues other than aches and pains from 50 years of hard core skiing. I ride the speed limit and have about 50000 KM riding motorcycles ( 2008 KLR, 2011 KLR, 2008 Aprilia Shiver and now a 2018 CRF1000. I plan to stick to the tarmac especially in the mountains, and dessert dirt when its dry when needed to see the sights. I have travelled quite a bit throughout the world ( not by motorcycle)and am relatively able to deal with most situations in a cool manner.
As far as budget goes somewhere down the middle, a mix of camping and hotels with the occasional splurge at a fancy place.
Anyone interested in joining me which I know is a long shot must be independent in all aspects and have the funds.
Look forward to any riders interested or any advice on where I might find a rider interested.
Cheers and have a safe and happy day.
John Evans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Garage
I live in Texas. I have done Mexico a few times going to Baja and Copper cannon across the Sea of Cortez. The real problem with the trip is getting across the Darien Gap. Most folks i have talked too from Panama City use the boats to move their bikes around the Darien Gap to Columbia. Although I have heard of a few who have used air.

If you do not mine a 73 year old along, I am in. I have riding since 1958. I have been to Mexico, Canada, and Alaska a few times.

A few of my NC700 adventures can be seen at: https://m.youtube.com/results?q=adve...na%20chou&sm=1

A few of my Africa Twin adventures can be seen at: https://m.youtube.com/results?search...g+with+Queenie

My email Is: [email protected]

Need to know the dates and routes, and if you will have an old fellow along, I am in....

We do need to figure how we will move the bikes across the Darien Gap coming and going.

Last edited by Old Can Ride; 08-17-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:12 PM

What a great idea! I can't do it, but that sounds so fun! Just got back from a trip to Argentina (not on a motorcycle). Your AT will be the largest bike for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 PM

Garage
Here are a few ideas for getting over or around the Darien Gap. Then you will have to return. So, not cheap!!

https://adventuremotorcycletravel.co...ng/darien-gap/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page