April riding in California? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
April riding in California?

in mid April we are leaving the AT at home and heading to San Francisco. We am considering renting a bike and riding into Yosemite National Park for a couple of days. So... couple of queries from the Brit....

1) is this doable in April?
2) is the Park good in spring?
3) what weather should i expect and...
4) what corresponding clothing should I expect to wear?

Many thanks if you have the knowledge and a moment to share.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM

I lived in the San Jose area for many years.

April in the valley is mild. Depending on year, some rain. But most of the rain comes in March. Temps in the 60s to 70s(f). 50s(f) at night.

San Francisco, though it was only an hr away from us, was almost always 5 to 10(f) cooler.

Expect 50s or low 60s for most part in and around San Francisco.

And as you cross the valley (Stockton, Modesto) it will be 5 to 10(f) hotter.

But once you reach the Sierras, things change fast. Up high, it can still be pretty cold sometimes during the day, but usually 50s in April, but sometimes hotter, into the 60s. At night it can get cold.

I'd say, be prepared for mostly 50s-range temps, but don't be surprised if it gets near freezing at times or at night. But then, it might be in the 60s the whole time! You really never know.

But in a nutshell:

1) It's definitely doable.
2) The park is nice almost always, but early spring can be beautiful.
3) See above.
4) Be prepared for some cold weather riding but layer up, because it can change real fast.

Have fun, man.

Ride safe, Gary

2018 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports - Manual.
Setup: Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen; Hepco & Becker Lower Engine Guards; Hepco & Becker Handle Bar/ Hand Guard Protectors; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard Soft Bags for OEM Uppers; HTTMT Kickstand Pad Extender (Red);
RAM Mounts X-Grip; Swegotech Forkshield; Touratech Zega Mundo Panniers and 2018 Rack (31/38L); Touratech 20mm Bridged Handlebar Riser; OEM center stand; OEM skid-plate, uppers and tires.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Gary,

thank you for the tips. Apart from a little rain one morning it was all good temperature wise, though yes, as you noted, the temp changes dramatically.

FYI - Routed out of SF to Route 1 along the coast taking in Monterey and Carmel by the Sea. traversed to Yosemite area and took in the Valley loop before circling back to SF. i'm sure its a well trodden route but Oh My... scenery and views coastal or Mountainous are spectacular. A must do and terrific riding roads.

how fortunate to have this on your doorstep!

Thanks again.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM

I'd recommend you grab a Butler map as well. Some amazing roads and trails in CA. From a motorcycling perspective I feel fortunate to live in SoCal and have only scratched the surface of areas to ride in. Constant surprises. Yosemite is amazing as I'm sure you've read. I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to ride there last year and it honestly beat my expectations. There some good fire roads to hit too if you want some dirt action. A lot of tourist traffic in the valleys at the park as you might imagine and a lot of distracted driving due to the natural beauty so be on alert. Have fun man. Send some pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page