Beware of Poor Quality Finish 2017 Crf100l - Page 3 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 AM

@Shez - would you mind letting us know the dealer - I too am suffering from a scabby crank case and want to get it sorted. It doesn’t effect the bike for me right now but why should I put up with a poor finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

HI Thebishop ,

sorry you have been affected with Crank Case woes.

I must admit the dealers are spot on and I haven't mentioned them because it's Honda that have pulled the fast one and I didn't want any negativity to be associated with the excellent support Doble Honda have given in helping sort this issue.

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your bike and secondly good luck.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shez View Post
HI Thebishop ,

sorry you have been affected with Crank Case woes.

I must admit the dealers are spot on and I haven't mentioned them because it's Honda that have pulled the fast one and I didn't want any negativity to be associated with the excellent support Doble Honda have given in helping sort this issue.

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy your bike and secondly good luck.

I also purchased from Dobles - I was hoping it was because it will be easier for me to reference to others that they already know of.

Dobles are very good, could have had a very slightly better deal elsewhere but have bought from them before so know their after service is very good.

Have not approached it yet, but will start the process when I finally, if Givi ever sort out making DCT versions, get my crash bars fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure they will be more than fine with you. Like you i'm thinking about some sort of engine protection.

At the moment the parts are estimated to be available from February next year so no means a quick fix but may give more time for Givi to sort out the parts you are after.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
Mine was delivered without the caps for the handlebar mount bolts and without any washers for the windscreen. Not sure if this is normal, but parts are listed in the parts breakdown.

Never contacted the dealer as it is about an hour away.

Marc

AMA & IBA member
2017 690 Enduro R & 2012 Concours 14 traded for the 2017 Africa Twin
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi rider-marc that sounds like a poor show. Not sure when you bought your AT but the things you mention are the sort of things that could be put right at your first service which given he poor standard I would expect to be free.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 AM

Garage
These must be high volume dealers that sell twenty or thirty machines per day; I can see how it would be impossible to spend a full hour inspecting each machine for quality before they go out, (insert sarcastic emoji).
In my case the bike had been in the showroom all year and then it took me a month after payment to return from work to collect the bike, all free advertising as it was the only red model or DCT they had; still they didn't manage to check something as critical as the brake line routing.
Now I have a kinked main brake hose and fear the structural integrity is weakened. I have no faith in their repair shop as this isn't my first issue.
Did any of you go higher that the shop? I would like to know who I can contact when my dealer fails to perform? I shouldn't have to drive to another city for repairs. If Honda cannot stand by their product by insisting dealers reach a certain standard then why should we stand by their brand. Again it's not about a perfect product but how you stand behind it with support.
I purchased this bike from Arher Honda in Krakow Poland; whom do I contact for support? How high can we escalate an issue?
I know there is a website that lists contact info for major CEOs so that you can annoy them and hopefully get things resolved once you've exhausted other options.

Live to ride
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterunnr View Post
still they didn't manage to check something as critical as the brake line routing.
Now I have a kinked main brake hose and fear the structural integrity is weakened. I have no faith in their repair shop as this isn't my first issue.
whoa - have you mentioned this on here previously nightrunner? In what way was it misrouted - I would like to check mine.
As it happens I have just discovered a misrouting of the front brake lines on my 5 year old Triump Rocket 3. On full lock right it's putting a **** of a strain on the lines.
Mike
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 AM

Seems hit or miss nowadays no matter what brand or type of machine you buy. An unrelated subject (sorry) but I bought an argo last year brand new. When I got it home, I took it around the yard and noticed it would buck and rattle when you turned to the right. I didn't have time to drive the 7 hour round trip back to the dealership so I dug into it myself. I discovered one of the brake rotors was warped (they steer by applying brake to one side at a time aka skid steer). I had to go to my local parts supplier and buy a new brake rotor under my own dollar and replace it myself. 0.5 hours on the machine. No time to deal with a shop or warranty stuff because I was 1 day away from a 2 week long hunting trip with the machine.

Anyway I think it's like playing the lottery and I have a theory that it's why you see many bikes or other machines for sale that are only a year or two old. Some annoying problem that can't be reasonably fixed. Sad as it is it is a reality nowadays.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
whoa - have you mentioned this on here previously nightrunner? In what way was it misrouted - I would like to check mine.
As it happens I have just discovered a misrouting of the front brake lines on my 5 year old Triump Rocket 3. On full lock right it's putting a **** of a strain on the lines.
Mike
I sure have Mike, my thread is here; https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...ook-right.html Your issue sounds very similar.

I researched how hydraulic hoses are designed to flex, (one direction only), and minimum "bend radius". The main line to the front calipers on the AT is mounted below the triple in such a way that one side handles left/right movement from steering input and the other up/down from suspension travel. With the extra 180 degree bend on my bike from the banjo being incorrectly installed the up/down side was being twisted to the left as well, not good. The worst was at full left lock with fork unloaded, or parked position that it spent most of its life on the showroom floor. My hose now has a permanent bend or kink which indicates internal damage. Honda tech untwisted it and called it good

Another thing to check; for those with DCT, I noticed the "parking brake" line stretched very tight at full left lock. I relieved much of the tension by simply repositioning the cable through the routing clamp that organizes the brake lines and throttle cable next to the head tube.

Some things only wear out over time because on improper assembly and unintended usage.

Live to ride

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page