Beware of Poor Quality Finish 2017 Crf100l - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Beware of Poor Quality Finish 2017 Crf100l

Hi, Like other people reading posts on this forum I love all things Honda and in particular the Africa Twin which I think is a cracking bike.
However, having purchased the bike new in mid September but unable to ride due an unfortunate rear end shunt whilst driving the car, My AT stayed in the garage until I built myself back up to be able to tolerate the ride. Hence the bike is still new only having 400 miles on the clock

Imagine my disappointment when cleaning the bike for the first time I found badly cast and over-painted engine casings. To say I was disappointed was an under statement. The story gets worse but needless to say Honda have agreed to sort the matter out giving me the option of new parts or having the existing ones re sprayed. replacing the casings means dropping the DCT engine and splitting it before replacing the scabby bits.

I don't want to make this post a pop at Honda or the supplying dealer but would just like to know what peoples views are on the issue and whether or not my expectations of Honda and the dealer for letting it slip through are too high. If this was your bike what would you expect from Honda. ( I have accepted a resolution which involves replacing parts but... well i'm still miffed about spending all that money and finding such shoddy finishes)

As you will see in one of the photos the metal is pot marked and pitted, one of the edges looks like it has been chewed on and painted over. Some of the over painted filings contaminating the engine casing have come through the paint and could possible lead to longer term more serious issues had Honda not be sorting the issue out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6844.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	35754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6849.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	35762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6846.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	35770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6850.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	35778  

Last edited by Shez; 11-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:32 PM

Wow that's bad and never should've got past quality control in the factory. I would definitely have it replaced.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
Is it a big deal, maybe, to some. Will it diminish your riding joy, again, maybe for some people. It is acceptable, hardly. If the paint were bubbling or plastics warped you would likely get more support. To me the whole package is art. If a manufacturer can't get it right, just tell me in the brochure not to expect a first class product or chill if there are imperfections; see how fast I find a different manufacturer.

It may end up being more trouble than it's worth. I'm still trying to get a replacement front brake line after mine was installed with a kink from the factory. Since my problem is cheap to fix, I'll likely not bother with the warranty, sad.

Live to ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

You are right it is both poor from Honda and important for me not to let the experience diminish my riding joy. The frustrating thing is that when I contacted Honda they said if I had reported the fault within 30 days of registration I could have rejected the bike. Unfortunately, my unfortunate incident in the car meant the bike sat until I was fit to ride and that's when I found the faults which were clearly there from factory to dealer.

When I pointed this out to Honda customer care Uk, I was advised it is my responsibility to check the bike for defects and report them within the 30 days and as I hadn't done this my right to reject the back had passed. A lesson learned.

Even though we buy brand new from premium manufacturers the onus is on the bloke left with the keys in his hands to make sure he's getting what he's been promised in the condition a brand new bike should be presented in.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Garage
That's absolute BS! Thirty days to find some odd behavior is one thing, but clearly this is a factory flaw and they accuse you of not inspecting the bike quickly enough?! We pay good money for the manufacturer to inspect the bike, there should not be any time limit on discovering a manufacturing defect, period!

Live to ride
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Exactly my point. Basically I have been told that because I didn't inspect the bike properly at the time of accepting delivery Honda can wriggle out of the 30 day rejection even though the parts were defective and not only passed through Honda's quality control but the dealers pre delivery inspections, below is the response from Honda Europe customer services re the 30 day issue

"As discussed on the phone when you took delivery of your Bike you would have been asked to check Bike over and make sure you are happy with the condition of the Bike."

I pointed out that had i been buying a used bike from a non franchised dealer I might have taken a little more time to inspect the bike but in all honesty I was suffering with a back and neck injury and getting on my knees to inspect the engine casings wasn't actually something I felt necessary.

So there we go - Honda can put crappy parts on their bikes, push them out the factory, then the dealers can turn a blind eye and the poor old bloke who puts his hard earned cash down is left with a kick in the pants because Honda protect themselves with a 30 day no rejection policy even though the issue was clearly there from the beginning.

I'll let you make your own mind up but my advice is don't trust Honda and as nice as the dealers are don't trust them either. Bottom line i've been had over
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:43 PM

My 2017 has an early VIN and has similar rough case casting but I am not going to make a fuss as I do not believe it has any impact on the integrity of the cases. Crankcase replacement would mean major surgery that
i fear would result in real problems.
Anyway, I remember when Triumph sand cast cases were so pourous that they sometimes oozed oil.
mike5100 likes this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 PM

Unfortunately it is not Honda UK who is to blame for 30-day rejection period. It is the law here i.e Consumer Rights Act 2015.

30-days rejection period means that within this time frame you can return the bike and get full refund. That is gone.

So after 30 days you have the right to repair or replace the bike (but not a refund). You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do. But if an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, then you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction - if you wish to keep the product.

Have a read here:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-rights-act
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

i suppose the issue for me is the frustration of being papped with sub standard parts and both the dealer and Honda know that if they offer the major surgery then they are doing what is perhaps expected. Those faults would have been seen both in the factory and by the dealer. It makes me wonder what else we unwittingly inherit.

I just feel that it's the tricks of dodgy car dealers who sneak the problem onto the consumer and sit there pretty smug

I must admit there's an element of dishonesty about it. It's like knowingly doing something that isn't right and falling back on an apology when caught out and hoping that people will not challenge them That's obviously cheaper for them than sorting it out in the first place

Those apologies are worthless - I'm taking the surgery - Time will tell what other issues that might cause - Shame on Honda If I knew how to get this out to more people I would because I think people need to know what they are buying into and not fall foul as I have done.

Sorry your bike isn't as you had hoped and has poor finishings on the casings
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank You Radarman that was really informative. Unfortunately, due to being injured and not riding, I never spotted the defects until I eventually wheeled the bike out the garage and felt well enough to have a real good look around.

I suppose that's what makes it feel even worse. My bike has been sold to me and someone at the factory and certainly at the dealers would have seen the issues. This legislation has given the manufactures and dealers the opportunity to act unfairly and supply faulty goods with protection if the consumer is not on top of their game within the first 30 days of ownership.

If I'm being honest, It makes both Honda and the dealer look dishonest. I think certain cases meet exceptional circumstances and my case certainly feels like the dealers and Honda have pulled a fast one
CliveW likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page