Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Any Old Guys (Over 50) Riding the Africa Twin?

107K views 390 replies 270 participants last post by  Trek Moto 
#1 ·
I'm over 60 and used to ride Enduros in my teens and 20s so when a road worthy dirt bike the size of the Africa Twin, after researching the possible alternatives (KTM, BMW, Ducatti, Triumph, Yamaha, etc.), it stimulated my desire to get back in the saddle again. It's a different world with issues like no insured medical coverage for motorcyclists with my insurance company (in my state?) and a lack of bikes on the road but a plethora of automobiles. Finally I hopped on a section I-24 for three exits and while crossing the Ohio river at 75 mph was blown about a bit then was blown passed by a Harley bagger and a much smaller Suzuki dual sport. Am I just getting Old? I enjoy the twisties through the woods and the dirt roads, small stream crossings and logging roads even with the stock 90/10s but I'm sure this might be more fun with say a set of Shinko 804/805 combo. I have Nelson Rigg panniers, 15 liter rolls and a 30L Tail Bag but haven't used anything but the panniers for shopping and extra weather gear. Also I have a Oxford First Tank Bag that I don't recommend. The plan is to do some camping, if time permits? I am relatively short (5'8") with a mid life gut and find that wrong footing like stopping beside an unexpected pothole (patched) is enough to cause a critical shift in the bikes gravity (I fell) and subsequent embarrassment. So feel free to share yours!

#2 ·
I'm sure there are a lot of us...:) I'm 51 and I just traded in my FJ09 for a new AT Adventure Sports (DCT). It's an Amazing bike. I've been riding on and off since I was 14 and this is the best bike I've ever ridden. I've only had it a month, so no real trips yet. I have put 800 miles on it in the past month though up and down I95 to work and weekend rides in the country. As long as you can hold that bike up (98% of the time :) ) and enjoy riding, you're not to old. I'm 6'2" and I find the ATAS pretty tall when stopping next to a pothole or ditch in the road. It's given me a scare a few times.

#5 ·
I'm 63 and purchased a used '17 DCT about 3 weeks ago. My intent was to wait until 2019 or maybe even 2020 to find a great deal on a black 2018. But ..... along came the '17 at such a great price I could not say no. Glad I did not wait! This bike has more power than I'll ever need and more options to configure the operation than I'll ever use. I'll use it 80-20 pavement to gravel roads and some cutting across pasture land. I'll do many 1 day to 3 day road trips and also use it for some coyote calling. So ....... I'll need to practice some tire/tube removal in the near future. I'm looking forward to many years of great service from this bike, I take very good care of my vehicles and being a Honda, I know we'll get along just fine. I told the wife when I get too old and start falling off the bike, I'll just add a sidecar and keep on motoring. Ride safe!

#6 ·
I'm 64 and I ain't riding no bike with a red seat. Found a gray 16 and most importantly a black seat. I'll paint in the black European scheme as soon as I get it home. I ride third world, a red seat would and should get you killed.

'
I take a flight out of Houston to Spokane on the 1st, night in Spokane, 5AM bus to Missoula Montana, seller picks me up...30 miles south ......I gear up, camp at Grand Teton because they have more primitive (no RV) sites and spend three days carousing Yellowstone using Teton as a base.

Glacier's on fire...

#9 ·
I'm 65 and brought my AT DCT two years ago (July 16).
Have clocked up 46,000Km and I think the bike is great.
I ride it most days to and from work (summer & winter) and also try to get out on her at least once in the weekend.
Have upgraded the suspension and fitted Barkbusters BBZ fabric blizzard over the storm guards. The Honda heated grips work a lot better now.
I also have a 1992 Honda GL1500A Goldwing that is parked up most of the time (got to sell her).
Looking forward to summer and attending lots of motorcycle rallies and camping (tenting).

#12 ·
Hello everyone.
I am almost 56 years old, since July 2017 I drive a standard manual AT.
In a year I have done 9,000 km with it, I use it practically every day, short trips around town and a lot of dirt roads and county roads, I have not set foot on the highway.
I had already had other trail bikes, Transalp, Dominator and a Yamaha DR 350, but this is, by far, the best to travel dirt roads (with permission from the Dominator)
The only thing that worries me is its weight, luckily (I touch wood) I have not yet had to lift it off the ground.
I think it's a great bike, smooth running, very agile, and more than enough power for winding roads and tracks.
In summary, a perfect bike for my age and driving style.

#17 ·
I'm 66, and I have a red 2017 AT DCT. I ride mostly on roads, with an occasional off road trip, nothing really hard, just dirt roads. I'm only 5'10'' so after a few scares I ordered the low seat and it helped me a lot. The seat is a little hard, but not a killer, I can live with it. I think the Africa Twin is a very good and reliable bike. I also have a couple of BMWs, a S1000XR and a R1200RS. The AT has less electronic gadgetry, but I don't see it as a big disadvantage, in fact is the one I prefer for a long trip because the ride is more relaxed. Enjoy your ATs!! It is a great bike!

#20 ·
I'm 66 and bought my Africa twin in 2016.
Last year I did a tour of all the national parks in Utah (2500 Miles) and two weeks ago I got back home from riding to Prudhoe Bay - Dalton Highway from Arizona and back for a total of 9980 miles over 7 weeks.
From home in Arizona I rode up through Oregon and Washington and then through BC, Yukon and then up to Prudhoe bay.

Fantastic ride on the twin. All I had to do was fit a knobby on the front and a Heidenau on the back. Ave fuel consumption was 55mpg.....not bad.... but then I take it easy while riding.

Thinking of doing the Trans Labrador next year ..

#24 ·
Im 53 been riding Moab for 25 years on dirt bikes , love this bike !! Im 5-6 and love the low seat from honda gone down a couple times in the deep sand thats when you realize the weight of the front end but picking it up you just have to take your time and set it up right than its not to bad , put 2500 miles on it and getting used to sliding gravel corners very predictable bike when you get a feel for it !

#25 ·
Turned 58 this year, bought my twin late last year after trading in my FJR1300. Love the bike, first Honda by the way, Still yet to do a big trip on her but get out on day trips. Spent a fair bit on farkles but she looks gorgeous. Its gonna be a long love affair.

#27 ·
I'm only 72; got my Red 2017 DCT in May. Got this bike to replace my '97 KLR. The AT is a great bike, but not a replacement for the KLR. Also, at this stage of life I probably won't take the AT on the same adventures I've done in the past. It does want me to take it to Mexico, though. I heard it say so...

Later, Bud...