Any Old Guys (Over 50) Riding the Africa Twin? - Page 11 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 161Likes

post #101 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon Al View Post
I'm 59, I just brought the AT home, transitioning from a KLR. I probably won't do as much off road stuff, but still want to do the Jeep trails at least. I have wrestled that KLR over most of the passes here in Colorado, and just don't have the interest in playing dodge 'em with the baby head rocks anymore, although I'm beginning to think the AT may be even better at it than the KLR despite the weight difference.
Most of all, I wanted a better Two Up bike, the KLR just doesn't have the guts at this altitude and with that much weight.
Putting the hook ups for the heated gear on it tonight, I'll be riding as soon as the roads are clear of ice again. That's what I love about Colorado, even in mid winter, I can ride much of the time.
I have never 'winterized' a bike here, longest I ever wasn't able to ride was about 5 weeks back in '97
Rubicon,

Just made the leap from the KLR here in Colorado myself. It is a great bike, but I’m wanting to go on longer rides to Utah, New Mexico and one day to the Smoky Mountains. Could I do it on a KLR? Sure. But the ATAS will make it far more enjoyable.

Where about in Colorado have you been? The Alpine Loop and Dinasaur National Monument are two of my favorite adventure rides.

Bookem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Just turned 50. Riding AT and enjoining it. I did by a one-man jack/lift because it seems on flat dry ground I can lift the bike but off road mud/ice/weird angles I can't lift it.
post #103 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:33 PM

49 and turning 50 in May. AT is first move from street to dirt and loving it just wish I had tried to sooner. Will be riding the TAT on my birthday week to celebrate 50 years of life and hopefully many more to come. I love the ergonomics of the bike and enjoy not going so fast like I used to on my sport bikes perviously.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SurfsUp, dascooter, Bookem and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:56 PM

My body is 72 in April. Brain is stuck at 35.
Had a guy get me to pull over Saturday to ask about my ATAS. He has been looking hard at them and likes it and the DCT. He said he was getting old enough that he was ready to not be shifting. I asked how old he was and he said.......80. He did not look it or act it.
paxtonbrimstone1 likes this.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda ATASDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded
'08 BMWLT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission)
'05 BMWLT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 BMWR1200CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #105 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem View Post
Rubicon,

Just made the leap from the KLR here in Colorado myself. It is a great bike, but I’m wanting to go on longer rides to Utah, New Mexico and one day to the Smoky Mountains. Could I do it on a KLR? Sure. But the ATAS will make it far more enjoyable.

Where about in Colorado have you been? The Alpine Loop and Dinasaur National Monument are two of my favorite adventure rides.

Bookem
The Goldbelt tour loop (Victor, Canon City, Cripple creek) is great, the shelf road can be challenging due to gravel/sand mix, and Phantom Canyon is beautiful, as well as the drive out of Colorado Springs on Old Stage Coach and Gold Camp roads.
For real fun, I like a day ride from Denver going through Bailey, south on Wellington lake road to Goose creek road, through Florissant to Cripple creek and do that tour, then back by Stage Coach/Gold Camp and on to Denver via Rampart Range or Mt Herman road.
When I get home, it's about 325 miles.
Bookem likes this.

One cool & froody dude who knows where his towel is!
post #106 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM

I'm 61. Got my 2018 ATAS 10 days ago. Stepson and I are riding from Boise to Anchorage 7/20.This fall we will ride the Idaho BDR.
post #107 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:13 AM

Yeah Gidday from Auckland New Zealand. Nearly 59 (coupla months) bought my 2016 DCT Africa Twin just 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago, already clocked up 2000k's, time for her first service at 12000K's when she gets the Honda panniers to match, can't wait.
Looking forward to meeting some Kiwi's with these great machines soon.
post #108 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 PM

Just turned 56 and have been riding for 50 of those. On dirt bikes, Enduro, Dual Sport, Harley and Victory. Road the dual sports in 26 states. Never got out of state on the big bikes. Hahaha. Trying the adventure now. Love it so far.
post #109 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Im 55 and bought my AT in 2016. Im at 16k miles now and still loving it. The AT does have a bunk mate of a 2017 KTM 690 Enduro R.

I have had some starting issues and battery drain from the AT. I started tearing it down yesterday to undo all the wiring I have placed and install the Eastern Beaver fuse block. I did decide today that while its torn down so far, farings ,tank,etc... That I better go ahead and do the valve inspection. No videos of this process online so I hope to post it on youtube sometime in the next few weeks.

'16 CRF1000L, '17 KTM Enduro R
post #110 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 AM

I’m 54. I traded my NC700X for a 2017 AT manual last year, love it. I’m recovering from repairs to a ruptured rotator cuff so no riding for a few more weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page