New AT Owner Looking for Info - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By deltabi

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to eldoat
New AT Owner Looking for Info

Hello,

Question for everyone, do the Honda OEM panniers and top box come with inner bags/liners? I thought I saw in a description of the top box that it did. But I can't find that description anywhere now. If they don't what are your thoughts. Are they worth buying and if so, where would I get a set of inner bags. Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Welcome. Iím sure this has been answered in detail somewhere in here but I think they do not come with inner bags.
You can get the set of 3for £90 on eBay though. For the same price or slightly more you can get Givi waterproof inners, which seem better quality but might not fit the same way.

As for whether to get the Honda panniers or not... lots of different opinions on this, mainly based on what you want to do. Theyíre not great for off-road, fine for road. Theyíre not as waterproof as some others in some cases. But they are easy on and off and donít require pannier racks

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:58 PM

See pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	645C5AC7-1619-4D54-A1AE-0E226090C026.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	47551  

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldoat View Post
Hello,

Question for everyone, do the Honda OEM panniers and top box come with inner bags/liners? I thought I saw in a description of the top box that it did. But I can't find that description anywhere now. If they don't what are your thoughts. Are they worth buying and if so, where would I get a set of inner bags. Thank you in advance for any help.
Personally, I am not impressed with the inner liners. I bought a set and whilst they are very good quality, they do not fit the panniers very well at all. Particularly the LH side where they give you one large and one small bag which leaves much wasted space.
I have now bought some second hand BMW liners off Ebay for £20, which seem to fit much better although I have not used them yet. The quality is nowhere near as good as the Honda ones though but the fit is much better.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Normal pannier liners take up much more space in your boxes than you think. Try crushing them up and imagine how many 1 litre milk bottles that looks like - probably 2 or 3. That's a lot of space to lose.
I have bought two of these https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/produc...il-duffle-bag/
Packed up they take up about a quarter of one litre so that must be how much room they occupy within the box. They are incredibly strong and waterproof (although the zip isn't). They also look OK when you carry them into the hotel. And they are flexible so you can bend them when packd to fit in the top box or the big side box. They will fit in the smaller box if you don't put much in them, but they are not ideal for that and I have a different bag for that one.
Looks like SeatoSummit are discontinuing these micro duffle bags so be quick of you want a couple.
Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
Original (and similar) inner bags are a total waste of internal space in the panniers.
I've bought a pair of cabin-style luggage like this:

They are almost the size of the left OEM pannier, about 40 liters of capacity. They easily adapt to any form, including the right hand pannier. Very easy to remove them when you park the bike and go into the hotel. Not elegant but very high functionality (and low cost!).
mike5100 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltabi View Post
Original (and similar) inner bags are a total waste of internal space in the panniers.
I've bought a pair of cabin-style luggage like this: https://www.amazon.com/BXT-Waterproo...ateway&sr=8-96
They are almost the size of the left OEM pannier, about 40 liters of capacity. They easily adapt to any form, including the right hand pannier. Very easy to remove them when you park the bike and go into the hotel. Not elegant but very high functionality (and low cost!).
That looks a great alternative - but no-one seems to be still selling them
Mike
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5100 View Post
That looks a great alternative - but no-one seems to be still selling them
Mike
I've exactly this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/WITERY-Wate...dp/B01DWEP4FQ/ and it looks like they're still selling it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page