Newbie needing input - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 16Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
There's a great video on YouTube that I recommend you watch. Father/son in the Pyrenees. Son on old AT and father on DCT AT. Really good footage and break down on the pluses/minuses and how he overcame the small minuses.
It's a good one isn't it. I also watched this before going ahead and ordering my DCT. Now riding the gravel roads in northern Spain is something I've put on my rider bucket list.

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, let it never be said that I can't make a decision! Bought a manual model today. Let me explain. I made a trip to the Honda dealership today and found a gorgeous left-over '17 DCT for $10,300 and, if I had had a little more money in my funds for this purchase, would probably have bought it then and there. Since I didn't, I told the salesman I would think about it for a day or two (while I scraped up the rest of the money). After I left the shop, my friend (that was going to let me try his DCT tomorrow) called me and said one of his other friends was ready to sell his '16 manual model (same color as the new one: red, black,white) with 3k miles on it and he thought I could get it for $7,500! Long story, short, went and looked and, since it looked new, bought it. Just got it home and went for a short blast and came back grinning from ear to ear. My friends with the DCT models wished it had been a DCT but certainly understood the decision. So... thanks to all for the input. Not sure it affected my decision in this case, but it is appreciated anyway. now on to the accessories. I have a Givi monokey top case that I will make an adapter for, if they don't make one, and start looking for the best bang for the buck in panniers. At this point, that is all I plan to add. Thanks again, Foss
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossilrider View Post
Well, let it never be said that I can't make a decision! Bought a manual model today. Let me explain. I made a trip to the Honda dealership today and found a gorgeous left-over '17 DCT for $10,300 and, if I had had a little more money in my funds for this purchase, would probably have bought it then and there. Since I didn't, I told the salesman I would think about it for a day or two (while I scraped up the rest of the money). After I left the shop, my friend (that was going to let me try his DCT tomorrow) called me and said one of his other friends was ready to sell his '16 manual model (same color as the new one: red, black,white) with 3k miles on it and he thought I could get it for $7,500! Long story, short, went and looked and, since it looked new, bought it. Just got it home and went for a short blast and came back grinning from ear to ear. My friends with the DCT models wished it had been a DCT but certainly understood the decision. So... thanks to all for the input. Not sure it affected my decision in this case, but it is appreciated anyway. now on to the accessories. I have a Givi monokey top case that I will make an adapter for, if they don't make one, and start looking for the best bang for the buck in panniers. At this point, that is all I plan to add. Thanks again, Foss
Awesome..congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Good choice moneywise!!
Just do not forget there is a DCT out there waiting for you somewhere.
Just put it in your bucket list and get it whenever you feel you are ready. It is worth it!!
MrRobb likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Garage
DCT is great! It is very easy to use, but it has a long learning curve to really understand it. Best way to really learn it is to own the bike for a while. In the end, if you really dislike it, just sell the bike. It is not like an automatic in a car with a torque converter. It is more comparable to the SMG and DCT transmissions in performance cars like Ferrari for example.
BTW I have two DCT bikes.
Recommendation: Get the DCT bike to learn about something new.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:19 AM

Rack

Quote:
I have a Givi monokey top case that I will make an adapter for, if they don't make one, and start looking for the best bang for the buck in panniers.
If you plan to add a rack, SW Motech do a nice "Adventure Rack" that, with a small adaptor, takes a Givi case.

2019 Africa Twin DCT in Matt Ballistic Black
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 AM

Having tried the DCT, it is without doubt an incredible well engineered transmission. As someone who only rides for pleasure and spent a working life dealing with automated manual transmissions in trucks, I decided to go with the manual, I enjoy changing gear and prefer the simplicity of a manual gearbox. A quick scan of the shop manual alone shows the sophistication and potential for issues, not so much when the bike is new, but a few years down the road. I guess it also depends on how close you live to a dealer. In summary, I would have loved to have bought one, but as a non-commuter, was attracted to the simplicity of the manual. Apologies to the DCT fraternity for being a simplicity loving dinosaur. I would also add that if you want a DCT then get one.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 AM

IMO if MAN would learn to leave things be instead of always trying to FIX them, things....and life , would be a little bit easier. "Don't fix it of it ain't broke".

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
It was a great deal, so I can't knock your decision
As I have often commented, elsewhere, most people that buy DCT's are happy with their decision. Equally, most that choose manuals are happy with their decision also.
At the end of the day DCT or manual they are all Africa Twins and will provide years of fun. Yeah, some will have faults, as with any bike brand, but I doubt if very many will be total show stoppers. So far my 2017DCT has been totally reliable. 10,000+km.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
James, how on earth did you end up in East Sooke?
Hah! Long story.

Short version....
We were based in the Algarve, Portugal. Went to visit my Dad (He lived in Victoria, Vancouver Island), liked the area (South Island) and decided to move there. Emigrated. Found a log home online - Bought it, and here we are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7811.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	48919  
MildlyInterested and MrRobb like this.

regards
James Mc
Africa Twin Canada eh?

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Previous: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, Sadly left behind in Europe)

Last edited by james.mc; 06-14-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page