Dct question - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 PM

I reached for the clutch and my foot went for the shifter today on a tight corner when I realized the bike had already shifted into the gear I needed. Another "Da" moment with the DCT. After riding the bike enough you learn to use the shift buttons to fine tune the DCT actions.

My son gives me a hard time for having an "automatic" but I just laugh and pull away in a flash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
As said DCT discussions are personally subjective. A DCT owner here and I love it for the 98% of use I put it too. For tight full lock on gnarly or difficult terrain where you might want to foot dab or
balance with a leg out its tricky . Ie if your not possessing stunt rider skills using the rear footbrake to moderate slow speed/clutches can be (v)tricky in that scenario. its all fixable but shame Honda didn't offer a Lh bar rear brake kit accessory to do it (unlike the relatively useless -again subjective DCT foot gearshift accessory) .
Could probably fit a mastercylinder and lever on the left hand bar for that sort of control. Somebody a bit smarter than me would be able to work out the correct bore size required to get the right ratio for good feel at the lever.
The back brake is just as wooden on a manual when using the foot pedal.
Put a rear brake system and lever on the left hand bar of muy 2019 AT DCT, just like an scooter, and relocated the park brake to the right side GIVI crash bar. Everything works great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181207-WA0019_1565495623908.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	49785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181130-WA0010_1565495771714.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	49787  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:18 PM

Perfection is when there is nothing more to take away, not when there is nothing more to add!

A long career in the UK motor industry taught me a lot about automated manual transmissions, both single and double clutch variants. When the technology worked there is nothing to touch them, when they go wrong however the water is always deeper than with the manual transmission. The Germans used to advocate that DCT' transmissions never drank too much or had a row with their wives or girlfriends or both. The only downside was the transmission couldn't see up the road. A read through the DCT section of the shop manual gives some perspective.

I went manual but I miss the benefits of the fantastic DCT, the only possible benefit being the simplicity of fixing the manual bike further down the road.

Don't listen to an old sod like me, follow your heart and get what you want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCollington View Post
Perfection is when there is nothing more to take away, not when there is nothing more to add!

A long career in the UK motor industry taught me a lot about automated manual transmissions, both single and double clutch variants. When the technology worked there is nothing to touch them, when they go wrong however the water is always deeper than with the manual transmission. The Germans used to advocate that DCT' transmissions never drank too much or had a row with their wives or girlfriends or both. The only downside was the transmission couldn't see up the road. A read through the DCT section of the shop manual gives some perspective.

I went manual but I miss the benefits of the fantastic DCT, the only possible benefit being the simplicity of fixing the manual bike further down the road.

Don't listen to an old sod like me, follow your heart and get what you want!
With age comes wisdom. I went manual also. More computers = more expensive problems later.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
RayCollington likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 PM

I have trued goldwing with dct. The big cross runner 1200 too. Now I have choose the Africa twin dct. Since three weeks. Its fantastic. I love it. And believe my gently driving enjoying every little your, will do that I will never get trouble with my dct.
I have five years warranty here in Denmark 🇩🇰. So I will make all service at Honda.
Buy one❤️
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 PM

Nope. My 2016 was a DCT, My new 2019 Adventure Sport is also DCT!
Cuchulainn likes this.

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 PM

I have seen a list of the riding modes, traction control, etc on the DCT. Can someone tell me what the manual transmission has. I am assuming it has various level of traction control and the switchable ABS for the rear wheel.

Trying to decide if the DCT is for me, mostly worried about being stranded in the desert 100 miles away from civilization.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMtnRider View Post
I have seen a list of the riding modes, traction control, etc on the DCT. Can someone tell me what the manual transmission has. I am assuming it has various level of traction control and the switchable ABS for the rear wheel.

Trying to decide if the DCT is for me, mostly worried about being stranded in the desert 100 miles away from civilization.
That could happen with any bike. Probably the only guaranteed way to not get stranded in the desert 100 miles away from civilization is to not travel 100 miles away from civilization. I am not sure DCT significantly sways the odds

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 AM

I have a 2017 DCT and have put 7,000 km on it in. I also have three other bikes that I ride regularly and they are all manuals.

Even after two years of riding the DCT Iím still not certain if I would buy it again. Some days I absolutely love it, and other days I wish it had a manual clutch. Iís all about the slow speed maneuvering, low speed smoothness, and being able to disconnect the power train at any time for any reason. In my opinion, the DCT would be the perfect bike if Honda had also left a manual clutch on it as well, in addition to the DCT. I think the Honda DCT designers forgot that a clutch lever on a motorcycle is not just for shifting gears. My little opinion.

I think you really have to own a DCT and ride it for a few years to start forming your own opinion. I am happy I bought it as I truly enjoy it. Some days I prefer my manual clutch bikes and some days I prefer the DCT. If they had left a supplementary clutch lever on the left handle of the DCT you would have the best of both worlds.

Marc
ProCycle likes this.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
That could happen with any bike. Probably the only guaranteed way to not get stranded in the desert 100 miles away from civilization is to not travel 100 miles away from civilization. I am not sure DCT significantly sways the odds

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
I understand that, But I am not going to stop riding where I wish. With my current bike, I am very confident I will be able fix what is needed to get back to civilization. I realize most bikes have lots of electronics now, just not sure I like the idea.

So, does the manual just have traction control and ABS, or is there something else I am missing?

Last edited by AZMtnRider; 08-19-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page