Dct question - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Dct question

I am just about to purchase a dct model can I ask has anybody purchased one and really wished they had gone the manual way��

Last edited by Grahew; 08-06-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahew View Post
I am just about to purchase a dct model can I ask has anybody purchased one and really wished they had gone the manual way��
Quite the opposite. I originally purchased a 2016 DCT version and had the chance for a "do over" and choose a manual if I wanted when I decided to trade it on a 2019 Adventure Sports model. But I was happy with the DCT model and stuck with that over the manual.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:59 PM

I've never read a post where any DCT owner expressed remorse over their choice.

Everything for your Dualsport or Adventure motorcycle. www.procycle.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM

I have a dct . I really like it. Now imstead of feathering the clutch i learnt to use the rear brake. The only thing i am missing is the capability of cutting the power off the rear wheel. I love the quick shift of manual...even at mid corner it is not a problem,,,,
deltabi likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Personal choice. Just do some research on each , and their problems, then make your decision. My decision was less computer stuff, less to go wrong. So you know which one I picked ;-)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrRobb; 08-06-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Garage
I have to agree with MrRobb that it is a PERSONAL CHOICE. My DCT has been in the shop about a month and a half, with a bill now approaching $2000 dollars. So, MrRobb is correct in saying that it does cost more to drive the DCT. The shop has ordered a new brain for my DCT with a retail cost of about $1200, with no return as it is an electric item. So, I have gambled that this will work, but I still do not have a bike. You can get a lot of helpful advise on this form.

However, I have been riding since 1958 and have owned a bike everyday since 1958... Call me not so bright, but I really do like the DCT so much better than the manual. At my age dropping a bike in the dirt can be a all night adventure. The DCT does do such a great job at keeping me in the proper gear at all times.... I am an adventure rider, and a few of the places I go do not have paved roads.......

Either Africa Twin you decide on will be a great riding bike. However, get the bike that does fit you. I have a short inseam. So there is no way I can ride the Sport version. Other than that, you can not go wrong with either standard or DCT ...
MrRobb likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 AM

As said DCT discussions are personally subjective. A DCT owner here and I love it for the 98% of use I put it too. For tight full lock on gnarly or difficult terrain where you might want to foot dab or balance with a leg out its tricky . Ie if your not possessing stunt rider skills using the rear footbrake to moderate slow speed/clutches can be (v)tricky in that scenario. its all fixable but shame Honda didn't offer a Lh bar rear brake kit accessory to do it (unlike the relatively useless -again subjective DCT foot gearshift accessory) .
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
As said DCT discussions are personally subjective. A DCT owner here and I love it for the 98% of use I put it too. For tight full lock on gnarly or difficult terrain where you might want to foot dab or balance with a leg out its tricky . Ie if your not possessing stunt rider skills using the rear footbrake to moderate slow speed/clutches can be (v)tricky in that scenario. its all fixable but shame Honda didn't offer a Lh bar rear brake kit accessory to do it (unlike the relatively useless -again subjective DCT foot gearshift accessory) .
Could probably fit a mastercylinder and lever on the left hand bar for that sort of control. Somebody a bit smarter than me would be able to work out the correct bore size required to get the right ratio for good feel at the lever.
The back brake is just as wooden on a manual when using the foot pedal.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:49 PM

I've had manual bikes since i started riding in 1980.

If the DCT variant of the Africa Twin did not exist then its highly unlikely i would have bought a Honda.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:31 PM

As a rider in my 50s I appreciate my dct as there is two less things to focus on. I do miss the clutch at times, but definitely won't go back. Can now enjoy other things like figuring out how to answer calls while riding. LOL

'18 ATAS dct leftover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page