Panniers - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Panniers

Hi guys. I’m about to buy my AT adventure sport, not the DCT model.
Would like to ask your opinion please. Honda panniers or Touratec?
I plan to go to Europe camping and sightseeing.
I would appreciate any advice you may have.
Thanks very much👍
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM

Bumot - mine have been great on the AT and they now do racks for the AT AS.

I have drop tested mine - static drop on concrete with full weight of the bike resting on one pannier, still using that pannier with no problems.

Last edited by KiwiMark; 08-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:01 AM

Touratech. I enjoyed my tour in the Grand Alpes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES77330.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	49941  
Cuchulainn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:05 PM

I have the OEM, but I would strongly advice you to choose any of the following systems (or any similar alternative you can have access to):

1. SW-Motech racks with their TRAX panniers
2. SW-Motech racks with GIVI adaptors and the Givi Trekers (the plastic ones, not the Outbacks) or E-41s
3. Touratek panniers.

For solo travels I use the OEMs. For 2-up, I use the Motech racks and e-41 panniers.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros Galiatsis View Post
I have the OEM, but I would strongly advice you to choose any of the following systems (or any similar alternative you can have access to):

1. SW-Motech racks with their TRAX panniers
2. SW-Motech racks with GIVI adaptors and the Givi Trekers (the plastic ones, not the Outbacks) or E-41s
3. Touratek panniers.

For solo travels I use the OEMs. For 2-up, I use the Motech racks and e-41 panniers.

Why not the outbacks? I have outback trekkers from a previous bike I plan to move to th ATAS

Enjoy an Adventure
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Maverick View Post
Why not the outbacks? I have outback trekkers from a previous bike I plan to move to th ATAS
I like the outbacks. despite the peculiar fact that Givi does NOT sell them as full watertight! However, I really hate the fact that the GIVI rear rack system on the ATAS needs literally half the bike to be dismantled for installation. For those reasons I do not recommend the Outbacks, but this is just a personal view.

BTW I used to have the 58lt Outback on my Varadero and it was an absolutely brilliant product.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 PM

I have 52k on my 2016 manual. I have Honda stock panniers & have gone on many adventure rides , pavement & dirt with no complaints.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Hi
I looked at the different setups for a rack and panniers for months before I finally decided that cheap is better.
Yes the Euro panniers look nice until you drop your bike, then there just another set of dented tin cans to put your crap in.
Personally I don't own a crocodile suitcase so why do I need to spend thousands on motorcycle luggage?
One note is that all three of these manufacturers below use a thicker sheet of aluminium than the Euro brands and without any plastics.

1) Tusk
2) Happy Trails
3) Solobox

Last edited by jege41; 08-26-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jege41 View Post
Hi
I looked at the different setups for a rack and panniers for months before I finally decided that cheap is better.
Yes the Euro panniers look nice until you drop your bike, then there just another set of dented tin cans to put your crap in.
Personally I don't own a crocodile suitcase so why do I need to spend thousands on motorcycle luggage?
One note is that all three of these manufacturers below use a thicker sheet of aluminium than the Euro brands and without any plastics.

1) Tusk
2) Happy Trails
3) Solobox
I think you may find the cans are more durable than you think, at least the Touratech ones are. I have had mine for 6 or 7 years now and have moved them between several bikes, just buying new racks. They have been dropped on a Triumph Tiger Explorer, KTM 1190 and an Africa Twin. More than once. Both on and off-road.

A couple of scrapes (almost invisible thanks to Birchwood Casey Alumiblack darkening the scratches) and a couple of rough edges, but no real dents to speak of.

Hard cases are never the best option for off-road, but they are tougher than I would have guessed them to be on.

That said, I have a buddy who has the Tusk on this 1190. They seem surprisingly well made for the money and he swears by them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 AM

Garage
This is the third bike I have had this set of Givi panniers on. Purchased these about in 2010. Just have to purchase new mounting hardware each time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60D5DD51-D8CA-43F0-BF31-C8C06B68B611.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	49975   Click image for larger version

Name:	80AFBDA0-BD65-4102-B511-E288A0FED526.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	49977  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page