Why did I wait so long to get one - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DardyRob View Post
I got mine 6mths ago and 4000km later I still feel the same as you Phydough. I liked the AT when it first came out, but by the time I could seriously look at buying one, the 790 and T7 were coming out. As it turned out the 790 was $$$$, a friend bought one, nice machine, but still prefer mine regardless of price. T7? Iíd still be waiting....
No regrets, AT is a great bike
And the T7 is butt ugly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Too_Tired View Post
I knew about the 850 when I got mine and dealer said it was gonna have a much lower seat height. So at 6-2 when I get up and 6-1 at the end of the day, I went with the ATAS and will make it work for the long haul. Considering the 450 is $10k with little haggle room I'm sure I made a good choice.
I'm noticably taller at 6'3" than anyone else I've met that is 6'3". I don't stand up straight to be measured - it's too depressing. I could have gone a bit taller. I stand flatfooted on my ATAS with the seat in the high position. I don't like the maintenance schedule on the 450 - that and the tiny seat turned me off. For a solo bike it would be great - but I really like how the ATAS carries a passenger. My last one that did that well was my Vstrom. I've had a couple of bikes with 37" seats that I was comfortable with (Adventure 640 and XR650) - so the 850 might have been worth me waiting for. Oh well...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Detjen View Post
I stand flatfooted on my ATAS with the seat in the high position...
Yep sounds about right, I flat-foot in the low position.

'18 ATAS dct leftover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 05:03 AM

As for the actual question, I was thrilled when the first Africa Twin was revealed in 2014 and the one shown was a DCT. But I was too cautious about a brand new and untested model, so I held fire. As the reports came in beginning in 2016, I was put off by the small tank size more than anything. Roll on to 2018 and the 'Sports model was the answer I was waiting for and I finally jumped at the end of the year when the offers were too good to miss. I got a really hefty discount. My DCT Sports was cheaper (including Honda centre stand fitted) than the normal price of a Standard manual, perfect. And that discount allowed me to swap the wheels for tubeless, almost immediately. Only downside being that luggage will have to wait until next year. I've only had one problem and that was water under the outer instrument cover, both inner and outer were replaced under warranty.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page