New guy - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Torque Request
  • 1 Post By noivson

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

New guy

Been lurking here and gathering info for a while, figured it was time to introduce myself. Been riding since I was 12, am 50 now. For the last ten years I have been on a KLR, both gen 1 and gen 2. Rode and camped all over AZ and did a trip to Colorado that was great, but showed me I wanted a different bike for long distance rides.

Last week I traded my KLR for a leftover 2018 ATAS manual. Keeping it on pavement until I get a little more protection on it. This bike is just too pretty and I donít want to scratch it if I can help it. So far I am very pleased. It has great road manners.

Thanks to all for the info that helped me pick my new bike, looking forward to being a part of the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD3DA4CA-1198-4FCB-80D9-D738810E3460.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	501.6 KB
ID:	50025  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Welcome to the club, Where do you live?
AZMtnRider likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque Request View Post
Welcome to the club, Where do you live?
Iím down in Sierra Vista, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Garage
Welcome! Now that your here with a good ride.....AZ isn't that big anymore
AZMtnRider likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMtnRider View Post
Been lurking here and gathering info for a while, figured it was time to introduce myself. Been riding since I was 12, am 50 now. For the last ten years I have been on a KLR, both gen 1 and gen 2. Rode and camped all over AZ and did a trip to Colorado that was great, but showed me I wanted a different bike for long distance rides.

Last week I traded my KLR for a leftover 2018 ATAS manual. Keeping it on pavement until I get a little more protection on it. This bike is just too pretty and I donít want to scratch it if I can help it. So far I am very pleased. It has great road manners.

Thanks to all for the info that helped me pick my new bike, looking forward to being a part of the group.
Hi and welcome

Had a KLR too, sturdy dependable and CHEAP..(compared to the KLR the AT loves to see the bottom of your wallet)
I got a 18 AS DCT, and L O V E IT
Two things Iíve noticed coming from the KLR the AT is better balanced and better off road, especially in ruts, but a lot less forgiving when she tips, youíll definitely notice the extra weight.
Also on gravel at around 70/80 and above itís a bit more squirrelly, but then Iíve still got the OEM 99% street tires on it... I donít have to tell you how nice it is to have a bike that you can open up on some back gravel road and easily get to 100+ with out a tail wind from a tornado pushing you...

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Hi and welcome

Had a KLR too, sturdy dependable and CHEAP..(compared to the KLR the AT loves to see the bottom of your wallet)
I got a 18 AS DCT, and L O V E IT
Two things Iíve noticed coming from the KLR the AT is better balanced and better off road, especially in ruts, but a lot less forgiving when she tips, youíll definitely notice the extra weight.
Also on gravel at around 70/80 and above itís a bit more squirrelly, but then Iíve still got the OEM 99% street tires on it... I donít have to tell you how nice it is to have a bike that you can open up on some back gravel road and easily get to 100+ with out a tail wind from a tornado pushing you...
Happy to hear you like the AS in the dirt. I really donít want to give up riding the rougher stuff. Already seeing that the aftermarket stuff costs significantly more for this bike but I expected that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page