Greetings from Queen Creek, AZ - USA - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beowulf

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Greetings from Queen Creek, AZ - USA

Hello New Found Friends!

Picked up a new, 2017 DCT today at what seemed like a good price, considering ($9,163 before tax and nuisance fees.) Discovered this forum while still trying to wipe the grin off my face from my first ride out into the stix.

I'm an old guy, history of mostly crotch rockets, cruisers, and just plain road bikes that might be called naked bikes, these days.

Last bike was a Honda Valkyrie that I enjoyed quite a bit, but sold when I moved to a non MC friendly state for awhile. Recent relo to AZ got me to thinking about "adventure" riding, so rented an AT on a recent business trip and was sold.

Shopped a bit for used AT's (last new bike I bought was a Honda FT500 Ascot, in 1981, if any of you remember the single cylinder version.) Found the used bikes mostly had the accessories I wanted, but were not priced low-enough to compete with 2-3 year old new stock off the dealer floor with warranty. Figured that they must be wanting to unload them for when the 1100 comes out shortly, maybe.

Pretty stoked about the bike, reading up on stuff you guys have posted about crash bars, skid-plates, throttle locks, panniers, etc. Have watched quite a few youtube videos, as well. Especially enjoy William Gloege, Motorcycle Adventures and Mototrek.

Have been riding about 45 years... still can't seem to find anything I like better!

Cheers,

B

Last edited by Beowulf; 09-10-2019 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:45 AM

Garage
Hi and welcome, quite a few older riders on this forum too..

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Hi and welcome, quite a few older riders on this forum too..
Older? (translator says mature)
Welcome and enjoy the group!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Lots of Arizona riders too. Welcome. By any chance, did you buy your bike at Western Powersports? I picked up a 2018 ATAS there a few weeks ago. Great prices.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMtnRider View Post
Lots of Arizona riders too. Welcome. By any chance, did you buy your bike at Western Powersports? I picked up a 2018 ATAS there a few weeks ago. Great prices.
Almost... Pulled their Craigslist advert up at an opportune moment during the negotiations over at Ride Now in Chandler.

I was not completely sold on the DCT, after renting one for a day in NZ, so was going to go pick up a MT at Western. Ridenow guys matched the MT price, then cut a little more off for good measure on one of the two DCT's they had.

I think I am ok with the DCT, now. Have read quite a bit more about it, and think I can live with it. I think the G button may make it ok. I suppose I could think I got it for "free."

Overall, the experience at Ride Now was pretty decent. Maybe got lucky and got a good sales guy. Their nuisance fees are abusive, but there is some latitude to smooth it out.

I think all of the local shops are ready to clear out their 2017s. They are getting them transferred down here from northern shops, or so I am told.
AZMtnRider likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noivson View Post
Older? (translator says mature)
Welcome and enjoy the group!
Well, I wasn’t implying that we were farting dust. But that picture of me; you got as your avatar speaks volumes as to our age around here, my friend ...

If necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy. A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page