Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Battery Replacement

13K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Micdanger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, what is everyone doing for a replacement battery for the HY110? It is over $500 from Honda!

#2 ·
Hey guys, what is everyone doing for a replacement battery for the HY110?
Nothing.. It will (more likely than not) be a very long time, multiple years, until a new battery is required and then.. 'google'.
probably starting with the decent online independents, like Rugged roads. They already have an alternative battery on their site made by Shido Japan,

#4 ·
Hey guys, I have an 18 A.T. manual I picked up new in January 19. I bought the Shorai LFX14L2-BS12, ( 210 CCA ), shortly there after, ( back up plan for out in the Boonies ). That model is the largest Amp. battery that can fit in the 18 and newer, smaller, compartment ATs. ( their website shows all the specs. ). Very small and barely a pound, compared to the HY110 ( 120 CCA and about 3 lbs.) It appears to me the ELIIY Power battery is some sort of Hybrid, with lead reserve plates in there, hence the weight and price $$$! A Shorai rep said they were trying to get the account. I believe Honda probably wanted a battery like this, as Li batteries do not have a reserve capacity, and you have to be mindful of anything left on or plugged in when not fired up. Regardless, I leave the Shorai in for commuting and local fun, but on farther big trips I like the piece of mind with a back up! They could be found on Amazon/Ebay for under $130.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Forum @jongat.

Hopefully one is using a "motorcycle" rated battery charger. Compared to an automobile charger, the maximum supply current is limited which helps prevent battery damage. In addition, the battery will only draw an amount of charging current that it can take. So if your charger is limited to 1 A (e.g. "smart" motorcycle battery charger), then the maximum current the battery can draw is 1 A. If the battery is somewhat healthy already, it might only draw 0.75 A, less than the maximum rated of our theoretical charger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.