unable to edit post after certain amount of time ? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

unable to edit post after certain amount of time ?

Hi Forum admins. I would like to keep my original post of thread up to date with information from other users, but it would seem that editing it is no longer possible. Is there a limit on the time a message can be edited ? Why ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm not an administrator and can't answer your questions, but why not just "Quote" or "Reply" to your original post to provide up to date information? The new post will be further down the thread, but at least will be present.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurber3 View Post
Hi Forum admins. I would like to keep my original post of thread up to date with information from other users, but it would seem that editing it is no longer possible. Is there a limit on the time a message can be edited ? Why ?
If you had unlimited time to edit your post, several people could reply and you could go back and completely change the original subject and the replies might seem completely out of context.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurber3 View Post
I'll check with the forum gods.. we mods don't have the power to change stuff like that

JasonWD.com Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your rough location to your stats! We are an international forum.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hey all

XR650RRider mentioned one of the reasons there are limits on how long to edit a post. It does make for a very confusing conversation when this happens.

Another reason is sometimes members get upset and go through a 'rage quit' where they edit all their posts to be a single character. This affects conversation, as above, and helpful how-to's can be lost which hurts the rest of the community as well.

Limiting the time allowance on Edits helps keep these issues from coming up.

That said, it was set a little low for this community. I bumped it up to two days.

Dayle

If you need Admin support please post here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...ormation-help/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricaTwinAdmin View Post
Hey all

XR650RRider mentioned one of the reasons there are limits on how long to edit a post. It does make for a very confusing conversation when this happens.

Another reason is sometimes members get upset and go through a 'rage quit' where they edit all their posts to be a single character. This affects conversation, as above, and helpful how-to's can be lost which hurts the rest of the community as well.

Limiting the time allowance on Edits helps keep these issues from coming up.

That said, it was set a little low for this community. I bumped it up to two days.

Dayle
Thanks for the replies. This limitation makes it impossible for "consolidated" first post in threads that are familiar within technology forums. In such threads all the relevant information is continually added to first post which makes it much, much easier for those trying to find facts. There are threads here and advrider that are so long with relevant information buried so deep I should think only a few will ever find. I have a post here that I, and with the contribution of others, would like to continue to refine. Perhaps there is another way to accomplish ? What about a link in post to document ?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Garage
Depending on the severity of the edit desired, you can PM this account and we can see about editing the thread/post ourselves.

What kind of content are you looking to edit?
If the edits are just minor updates, would it make sense to post within the thread and not that it is an update to the OP?

Provide us with an example thread.

Richard.

If you need Admin support please post here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...ormation-help/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...fications.html

I'd like to continue to have this first post have all the additions, corrections, etc. that have been added since so a person only need read the original post. Would it be easier to maintain my own web-page and just provide a link in thread ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Hey @nurber3 ,

Providing a link to your own site within your thread would be considered as spam so we cannot allow that. However, what we can suggest for you to do is gather all the information from other members input to revise your original post and create a new thread with the updated info (and close the other thread).

Cheers,
Natalie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page