Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Madstad Screen review (and screens generally)

38K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Vasbyt 
#1 ·
First off - it works.
People might remember that I have bought and tried almost everything that's out there, and ended up with a DIY cut down screen.
This was/is OK but having worked through the various screens and fittings I think I have sussed the problem and from what I had read of the Madstad they had too.

For me - and I can't emphasise that caveat enough - the problem has nothing to do with the height of the screen and everything to do with the width. And just as with any adventure bike, the screen is too vertical causing massive turbulence off the edges. It's worse on the Africa Twin because the screen has to have cut-outs at the sides to avoid the handguards colliding with it.

The symptoms are buffeting and peak vibration. Ok I'm using quite a wide helmet in the Nolan N40 but hey it can't be much wider than most other shells.

The Madstad screen solves the problem by taking the screen forwards and away from the plastic fairing which allows them to make it wider (by probably 75mm overall) but just as importantly they can build in an adjustable rake (55 to 65 degrees). And because there's such a gap at the base of the screen they can do without any vacuum prevention slots and cut-outs in the screen itself.

.... and it works for me - it's almost perfect. In fact it's reduced the buffeting so much that at first I found I was riding 10mph faster everywhere. I said almost perfect, because there is still a deep bass rumbling caused by minor vortices tumbling off the edges. And I think they could have gone another half inch wider each side which might have eliminated those, but it's good enough. I did 8 hours in the saddle yesterday and could have carried on for another hour or two.

The screen and brackets are beautifully made particularly the quality of the acrylic or perspex blade. They advised the 20 inch which looked to tall for me as I was fitting it, but they were spot on. In the position I prefer - lowest height, I can see the road 20 metres ahead. In the highest position I'm really looking through it so I don't think I will use that one. The real difference on the road though was being able to rake it back which made for a much smoother ride than with it upright.

I will add some more thoughts later but in the meantime here's a pic - for such a big screen I don't think it looks out of place on the AT at all.
Mike

See less See more
#46 ·
Just put a Madstad screen on my 2018 DCT. I didn't want to spend the money on it, but I'm glad I did. I'm 6'3" and have been getting bounced around pretty good with turbulence. So much that my Sena thinks I'm tapping it to give a command. My ride is so much nicer now with this screen installed. I would definitely recommend one.

#49 ·
I got the 22". I figured it may be easier to lower/tilt than try to raise it higher. Plus, our size is right between the max for 20" and min for 22" according to their size chart. So far, I'm glad I got the taller version. The instructions say that the top of the screen should be even with your chin, which is right about where mine is at the recommended angle from what I can tell.
During install, I mangled one of the supplied well-nuts but it seems to be holding just fine. I'll have to try to find a replacement at some point just for piece of mind. Other than that, I have no complaints. I can actually listen to Audible through my Sena now instead of just hearing the wind.

#48 ·
I am 5'11 and got the 20 and feel it is too short. I can't adjust it up without exposing the top of the dash to wind and causing horrible buffeting. Slide it down and it is gone, but the wind wisps the top of the helmet. Still better than anything else I've tried by a long shot.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#50 ·
Thanks Michael - I will pick up my 2017 AT DCT the last week of January (got a great deal with full warranty - $11,100 including all dealer cost but not tax, licence, etc.). Both windscreen and seat mods happened on multiple previous bikes I have owned, so a Madstad 22" is probably in my future, but first I need to put some miles on the bike to see how OEM performs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.