Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Tank Range

36K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  DoubleThumper 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been done to death but what sort of tank range am I looking at on a 2018 AT manual at normal road use.

#4 ·
467kms/290 miles is my best yet but that was stretching the friendship for sure. I generally top up once the trip hits 420 - 430 kms. My bike is a 2016 DCT. Over my 12 months of ownership the average consumption (and I anally check it each fill) has been a bees dick under 4.2L/100kms).

#6 ·
2018 manual so far I've got roughly 300km (186miles) before the light. I'm still in the honeymoon period so there's plenty of wide open throttle going on, the AT asks for more! But I expect I'd get around 380km like Superfunkomatic says, less on dirt.

#7 ·
I have a recent meassurment:

two up, 3 cases (sides and top). Speeds 160-170km/h steady (highway), plus some 50km solo, top case only, avg speed 150km/h with two bursts at >200Km/h for a couple of km.

Range 316km with 20.9 liters fuel.

In normal riding (solo, only top case, speeds 120-140 my ATAS do 400 +/- 5 kms until the light comes on.

#9 ·
It also depends how much you fill the tank. I'll top it up when I need the range (and I'll ride off the excess, or maybe park it on the centerstand, rather than park it on the sidestand in the hot sun). Though for the Africa Twin there's less difference between when the pump automatically shuts off and topped up than there is on some bikes.

#10 ·
My AT range estimates 260 miles on a full tank - I'm getting to expect around the 200 miles.

Mine shows one bar left on the fuel gauge with 101 miles still to go - then the light comes on and the bar flashes with an estimated 40 miles left.

Haven't gone any lower than that to find out what the actual limit is - but I've heard rumour that for stop/start urban runs it's just wild conjecture/guesswork at that level.

Attachments

#17 ·
Lol the range on mine says 340 miles (at fill up) but I’ve never actually run the trip odometer to confirm that. And around 50 miles to E my dummy light comes on. Wow! With everyone saying, basically, around 200 miles I really need to confirm what the dash is saying on the DTE & MPG average.. I really can’t recall my average MPG but I’m pretty sure it is not over 50, I’m think last time I looked it was around 47mpg, but then... Here lately I have been running the DCT in “standard drive mode” and that mode short shifts like you wouldn’t believe... Hmmm,
I’ll just have to run the numbers and see what, if any, of the dash info is right..

#18 ·
I can typically get 400 kms to a tank but I'm well in the reserve at that point, but it all depends on my riding. After 11k kms I'm averaging 4.4 L/100km which I'm more than pleased with. After coming from my CB500X which easily got 400 kms to a 17 liter tank with 500 possible, I was fearing that with the AT I'd be filling up way more frequently but its not been the case. Before I bought the AT I figured I'd need to buy a Camel tank but that's now on hold unless I plan to ride where I need a longer range.

#19 ·
For normal riding (80% on-road, 20% Florida off-road) I get around 40 mpg. That means 200 miles (~ 322 km) to a 5 US gallon tank for my 2016 manual. And I actually get better mileage riding off-road than on the tarmac. Go figure that one out.

#20 ·
That is interesting indeed.

Hmmm. For some reason I usually experience U.S.-based fuel more efficient than the ethanol-laced Canadian counterpart (up to 10% in the colder seasons). Could it be the hotter asphalt in FLA? My current average economy is about 51.1 U.S. mpg (same tank size as yours).

#28 · (Edited)
Your memory is accurate DT. Like you, I carried none. Given my age and state of advanced decrepitude today, I think I would just lay down and look dead hoping a LA trooper might stop this time. :giggle:

Reactions: DoubleThumper
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.