BMW or...? - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By VFMoore
  • 1 Post By Rikki Rockett

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

BMW or...?

Yo guys!

I'm new here. (today as a matter of fact!) I have a BMW GS 1200 Triple Black version with low miles and I am seriously considering the AT with DCT Sport model. I think it's a good choice to move to the AT and I know I'm asking on a forum that is dedicated to this bike. However, has anyone here moved from a GS to AT?

Cheers!

Last edited by Rikki Rockett; 02-04-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Rikki: I did in a back handed manner. I rented a 1200 GS last June for a ride in WV, and absolutely fell in love with it. However, I neither wished to pay the price for the BMW or support it in a town with the closest dealer over an hour a way. An employee of mine had a 2017 AT that I rode for about 40 miles and felt that would meet my needs just as well. Got a line on an Adventure Sport up in Hood River last November, and after working it hard on a test run handed over the cash. It was the right decision for me.
Rikki Rockett likes this.

GL1800A, KLR 650, ATAS, Cessna Skylane
Fly low, fly high, but fly!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:18 AM

I had a 1200 Adventure previously and I would say they are very different beasts. The BMW was a serious mile muncher, rode across Australia, Perth to Philip Island and back with my teenage son as a pillion, a round trip of around 8,000 kms from memory, and it was as comfortable and capable as any tourer IMHO.

I now live in the Adelaide CBD and use an Africa Twin (DCT) for commuting and week-end fun and find it more suitable than the big GSA in this role. Yes, absolutely I could ride the Honda across Australia but horses for courses, it wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable but then riding the GSA in city traffic every day wouldn't exactly be a hoot either!

In terms of quality, I think both manufacturers are up there with the best. I've had faults with both bikes, final drive failure on the BMW and spokes and rubbish heated grips on the AT but I guess nothing is perfect. Just my two bobs worth,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM

I swapped from a 2013 GSA to a 2017 DCT AT and love it. I've done 2000 mile weeks on both bikes...prefer the AT. Day rides? Yup, prefer the AT. I struggle to think of anything I don't like more on the AT than the GSA.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:59 PM

I have just part exchanged a 2014 1200gs for a 2018 AT. totally deferent bikes. in many way but I prefer the AT feels lighter more nimble. engines not as noisy and the build quality is top notch
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the forum @Rikki Rockett .
I bought my At from a guy who went from the AT to the brand new $20k+GS1200 (I'm don't think he is full satisfied with his decision)
All will depends what is you idea to ride or style. I use my motorcycle for city commute (and some long rides on weekend) and the motorcycle is really good and easy to ride in the street in middle of cars and traffic.
Also you will find a TON of accessories for the AT.
Could be good idea to do a test drive on one AT before you take any decision.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I dropped the hammer and got her!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT_Rikki1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	48527   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT_Rikki2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	48529  
MildlyInterested likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page