D@mn you center stand spring!!!! - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

[email protected] you center stand spring!!!!

Center stand arrived yesterday. I spent all last night trying to latch the springs onto the center stand.

Read and tried all forum suggestions but it just wouldn't work for me. Woke up early this morning to tackle the job again, but the results were the same.

I just about gave up till a friend showed up to lend a hand. We felt the ratchet method was best, so we gave it another try.

We tied a nylon rope from spring to ratchet hook and hooked the other ratchet hook to my truck's hitch but no luck. Bike kept inching back when we were just cm away from hooking the springs. My friend suggested I hold the brakes. I just looked at him and said, "C'mon bro....my arms aren't long enough to brake and guide the springs....wait a minute...OMGosh...of course!"

CLICK (downshift)

And just like that, both springs were hooked in a matter of seconds.

So relieved!!! Totally saved my weekend!!!
Brad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 07:50 AM

Glad you got it on. Its a huge pain. I've seen videos of a couple really strong guys just pull it and get it on. I tried that a few times and there was no way I could do that.

I wish I saw the video of the guy using the rear tire and a broom stick before I finally got mine on using a big screw driver and "leveraging" it on, which wasn't too difficult but wasn't a breeze either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Center stand arrived yesterday. I spent all last night trying to latch the springs onto the center stand.

Read and tried all forum suggestions but it just wouldn't work for me. Woke up early this morning to tackle the job again, but the results were the same.

I just about gave up till a friend showed up to lend a hand. We felt the ratchet method was best, so we gave it another try.

We tied a nylon rope from spring to ratchet hook and hooked the other ratchet hook to my truck's hitch but no luck. Bike kept inching back when we were just cm away from hooking the springs. My friend suggested I hold the brakes. I just looked at him and said, "C'mon bro....my arms aren't long enough to brake and guide the springs....wait a minute...OMGosh...of course!"

CLICK (downshift)

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:21 AM

It took me a few hours of trying various methods, until I tried using a tool completely unrelated to the garage and it worked perfectly. While I was irritated that I didn't figure it out sooner, the learning experience is valuable, right? Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM

I mounted my center stand springs using a long narrow drift pin. you could also use a long round Phillips screw driver. The leverage make mounting the springs easy
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 PM

I used one of these left over from another exhaust installation.

This plus leverage against the center stand using a very long screwdriver made short work of these springs.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:

CLICK (downshift)

You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!
Phil Duley, AdvArt and IndiBiker like this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaladam View Post
I used one of these left over from another exhaust installation.

This plus leverage against the center stand using a very long screwdriver made short work of these springs.

I've never seen that before nor. How does that work? I tried using an exhaust spring puller but that didn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo View Post
You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!
I read your post but even to this day I have no idea what you're doing here. LOL
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I've never seen that before nor. How does that work? I tried using an exhaust spring puller but that didn't work.

I read your post but even to this day I have no idea what you're doing here. LOL
That's weird because many other AT owners managed to follow what I wrote????
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 AM

I'll do my best to explain this without actual installation pics...

Assuming your bike is on the side stand, you attach one end of each spring to the bike side bracket hole.

Then, using the above tool, attach the hook end of the tool to one of the springs (preferably the lower spring) and using leverage against the back of the center stand as shown in this pic, lever the spring rearward and attach it to the hook on the centerstand.

Be VERY CAREFUL not to scratch your wheel. I took a piece of cardboard and taped it to my wheel to around the area I thought might get hit as a precaution.

NOTE: The HIGHER the stand the easier it is to install the springs, to a point.

LINK to factory instructions - http://powersports.honda.com/documen...70-MJP-G50.pdf

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Anything that requires the use of brute strength by any means is beyond my comprehension hence ratchet.

It takes a minimum of two fingers to work the ratchet. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page