Africa Twin Traction control memory module - Page 2 - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

hi there. This is for the manual AT only. Pre 2018. You mentioned gravel button so guessing you have a DCT. If it's a manual, contact Richard via email listed on the video, he can help you out.

An old Polish saying: Nie muj cyrk, nie moje malpy! Not my circus, not my monkeys
Ramblings of a muppet: https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLGeorge View Post
The fact the AT does not "remember" its TC and ABS settings when one switches off is expected and is something that most other bikes with similar systems do as well. But while one needs to switch ABS off only when riding off-road with some pace, the default position for traction control is very conservative and cuts the power too much. I have made a habit of doing two left-hand clicks when switching the bike on to set it to position 1 - the default position 3 is only useful in very slippery conditions. Despite this, I can see somehow the motivation for such a module that remembers the TC position (see below).

Something else worth mentioning regarding TC is the following. When being off road, it is common to stop sometimes to decide where to go, discuss with colleagues how to overcome a difficult obstacle etc. In this situation, if one switches the engine off with the key, all settings are lost i.e. ABS + TC. But if one switches the engine off using the kill switch, the ABS setting does not change while the TC goes back to the default position 3 I forgot to change it at one such stop last summer and got stuck in the middle of a steep ascend with the bike refusing to climb it and me fortunately realizing the situation and changing the setting on the fly before the bike virtually stopped and started going backwards I can personally see the usefulness of such a module for the type of riding I do.
Or, if you know your stop is going to be brief,
stop the engine by putting down your sidestand. It will retain all settings.
XLGeorge likes this.

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
Or, if you know your stop is going to be brief,
stop the engine by putting down your sidestand. It will retain all settings.
Or use the kill switch rather than the key. :-)
MildlyInterested likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Exclamation Retain TC while stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs79 View Post
Or use the kill switch rather than the key. :-)
The trick is to put the side stand down while engine is running at a stop
without touching the kill switch or the key.
When you put stand down, engine will shut off but all the power to the ECU is still on -
thus you retain all settings including TC.
.There just saved 160$

Quote:
2016 CRF1000LD, '15 NC700XD, '14 CTX700ND

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page