post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Africa Twin Traction control memory module

Yesss....

Set it and forget it!
https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/20...-installation/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 05:28 AM

Cause holding a button in for 2 seconds is such a waste of time!! :-)
Drum Dog and Cuchulainn like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTwin View Post
Cause holding a button in for 2 seconds is such a waste of time!! :-)
you're missing the point. You're out in the bush, on a challenging trail, stop for a picture. turn off the bike...
you may remeber to hold the button again, or might not. Try a river crossing on TC3...
I went back and forth a few times (install, don't install) glad I did. It will stay in my default TC1 setting, or off when off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 AM

That forgetting to turn traction control off drives me crazy too, but at $150USD I was waiting for the part where they tell you what to do with the little pack of lube and where to install the big black dildo...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:29 AM

I ride a DCT and I always remember to push the drive button twice to get to S drive rather than D when I start up, and then setting TC to level 1. Just a matter of getting used to it and making it an automatic habit.
And $150 bucks seems a little high just to do the TC. I'm not saying the design time and fabrication don't warrant the cost, just questioning if the results are worth it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:10 AM

The fact the AT does not "remember" its TC and ABS settings when one switches off is expected and is something that most other bikes with similar systems do as well. But while one needs to switch ABS off only when riding off-road with some pace, the default position for traction control is very conservative and cuts the power too much. I have made a habit of doing two left-hand clicks when switching the bike on to set it to position 1 - the default position 3 is only useful in very slippery conditions. Despite this, I can see somehow the motivation for such a module that remembers the TC position (see below).

Something else worth mentioning regarding TC is the following. When being off road, it is common to stop sometimes to decide where to go, discuss with colleagues how to overcome a difficult obstacle etc. In this situation, if one switches the engine off with the key, all settings are lost i.e. ABS + TC. But if one switches the engine off using the kill switch, the ABS setting does not change while the TC goes back to the default position 3 I forgot to change it at one such stop last summer and got stuck in the middle of a steep ascend with the bike refusing to climb it and me fortunately realizing the situation and changing the setting on the fly before the bike virtually stopped and started going backwards I can personally see the usefulness of such a module for the type of riding I do.
black99S likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

morning all,

first off a known scientific fact: Anything fun costs more than $8.

So, I did try riding the bike as is, and the TC is brilliant. After having to hold my TC button on the actual dash for six years on my tenere, just to turn it off, every single **** time...the AT was a blessing.

This doohickey is not for everyone. For guys that road ride, or gravel ride, it's not an issue, but I saw it first hand when Richard just about took a bath in a river, after he stopped to take a picture of our other riding buddies, fired the bike back up and off he went into a stream with TC3 on. I was on the other side of the stream taking pictures...it was a slow motion disaster about to happen. Luckily he stabbed away at the TC button and got it through the drink.
Below stream in question...v-strom in action
https://flic.kr/p/JzsUia

It might not happen to you, but if you ride the bike off road, it will eventually catch you out.

To the people that gripe and moan about cost. It's not a straight forward inline switch. R&D takes time and money, not to mention mad skills.
Richard simply wanted to build one for himself. And if he can to re-coup his time and money.
I suffer from T-Rex syndrome (aka: KLR syndrome) like many of you here, but I simply cannot put something like that together myself. I know my limitations, and this is well beyond them.

On a side note, he also designed a very decent aluminum rear rack, side tool tube, and he's currently cutting some 22mm and 27mm axle wrenches for me.

BTW..The TC switch is for manual models only..

Last edited by Greg the Pole; 01-16-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
That forgetting to turn traction control off drives me crazy too, but at $150USD I was waiting for the part where they tell you what to do with the little pack of lube and where to install the big black dildo...
don't worry...the kit comes lube free!

Last edited by Greg the Pole; 01-16-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti04 View Post
I ride a DCT and I always remember to push the drive button twice to get to S drive rather than D when I start up, and then setting TC to level 1. Just a matter of getting used to it and making it an automatic habit.
And $150 bucks seems a little high just to do the TC. I'm not saying the design time and fabrication don't warrant the cost, just questioning if the results are worth it.
You DCT guys have a whole sequence to get back to your preferred settings..the TC is just scratching the surface
The switch was designed for slush boxes only.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Any updates on this module? I'd really like to see a module that remembers all the settings that you have made: traction control, Gravel mode, ABS off, also with a button so these settings could all be changed on the fly so you dont have to stop & change settings when you leave the black top & hit the dirt, evn it if it ws $2 or $300 it would be worth it, could save you crashing big time, wrecking your bike or yourself so would be cheap insurance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page