Ordered suspension - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ordered suspension

Ordered a Ohlins rear shock from Cogent Dynamics and got on the Ohlins fork waiting list.

Rear Shock ships tomorrow (friday 12-20), front fork ETA is all over the board, could be next week, early Jan 2019 or early Feb 2019. I'm on the list though and plan to ride this out. Probably won't even install the new rear shock until I get the forks in my hand.

Reason I went with the whole fork verses cartridge upgrade is when I sell this bike on down the road I will sell it stock and pull the ohlins stuff off and sell to an individual. Been burned by that on past bikes.

Looked like a lot of money but I have spent way more in the past on road race bikes for good suspension components. Really like the Honda just know it could be so much better with good suspension under it.
ProCycle likes this.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:17 PM

I did the same thing during the Black Friday sale.
I installed the rear shock though. It has quite a different feel from the stocker.

I figure the forks will arrive at some point in 2019. Hopefully be ready for adventures in the spring.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 PM

I was on the Ohlins fork list with Cogent Dynamics prior to Ohlins having it's supply problem, and even then my forks weren't expected to be delivered until February 2019. After getting the word that there was going to be a delay with delivery and that there wasn't any known date when the forks would be back in production, I ordered the Ohlins cartridge kit which arrived in my hands within a week. Very happy with the Ohlins cartridge and if I ever sell the bike I can easily pull out the Ohlins fork cartridges and install the stock cartridges back inside the forks. Also bought the rear Ohlins shock from Cogent which I'm also very happy with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 AM

Garage
I have been waiting for my Ohlins rear shock since September thru Konflict motorsports. I gave up on Ohlins and went with the Touratech Extreme shock. It will arrive today. Ohlins is having to many issues right now so I gave up. Was gonna go with the front forks also but was told June is when they will be ready. Looks like I will go with Touratech cartridge. According to Konflict Ohlins is having metalargy and tolerance problems. No thanks.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:11 AM

I will wait for Wilbers suspension, front and rear for my bike. No rush.

Had their suspension in the GS for a number of years and it's been fantastic, doesn't have the same level of kudos of Ohlins. But that doesn't matter to me.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

I'll wait a little while on the forks. Not much riding going on right now with winter. If this drags on I'll just send my forks in and have the drop in 30 mil cartridges added and be done with it.

2017 CRF1000 DCT candy apple red
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

The shock came in a day early. I looked at it for a little while and decided to install it. Glad I did, major improvement! Stock rear shock is junk I wouldnít spend a dime on that pos. Now if my forks would show up Iíd be a very happy camper.

Shock pics

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
Now if my forks would show up Iíd be a very happy camper
You and me both.
roy826 likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 PM

roy826 - why did you go with Ohlins and not Touratech? I'm looking at both - that's why I'm asking. Thanks!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
[Reason I went with the whole fork verses cartridge upgrade is when I sell this bike on down the road I will sell it stock and pull the ohlins stuff off and sell to an individual. Been burned by that on past bikes
Don't you mean the other way around? I would think a cartridge would be easier to replace than new forks? I post below seems to confirm what I was thinking, but maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page