Dropped windshield screws inside cowling - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Dropped windshield screws inside cowling

Oh Oh - taking my windshield off the rubber covered nuts you screw the hold-down bolts into pushed inside the cowling. Do you have to take the whole front cowling apart to get them out? After that, how do you get the bolts started into the nuts when installing the windshield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Oh Oh - taking my windshield off the rubber covered nuts you screw the hold-down bolts into pushed inside the cowling. Do you have to take the whole front cowling apart to get them out? After that, how do you get the bolts started into the nuts when installing the windshield?
Sorry to hear that mate. There have been a few posts on this. Unfortunately, yes, I think the whole front cowling has to come off. Otherwise, you can buy new ones, from what I understand there is a lot of demand...

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Pretty stupid design - the OEM windshield fastener assembly - hereafter called Piece of **** (POS). The lower two of four windshield POS on the AT (six on the ATAS) won't let you get your finger behind to keep from pushing the POS through when you try to get the bolt to the rubber encased nut at the back of the POS. It is only held in place on the steel windshield brace by a flimsy rubber flange on the rubber POS body with an encased nut at the other end. You have to push the bolt through the flange to engage the nut. The flange is pretty flexible and easy to push through the windshield brace where it tumbles out-of-sight into the tank shroud for the two lowermost fasteners. The upper nuts are exposed and no problem.

There's already two POS now waiting to be removed by a service tech when everything comes apart to service the air filters (another brilliant piece of design). Makes me wonder if Honda has problems these days finding qualified design engineers. I'm sure they would never implement design details like this just to generate revenue for their dealership repair shops. If that were true you would expect their entire OEM tool kit to consist of a single allen wrench! That said, I am in LOVE with the bike and would buy it again.

I got two new POS ($3 each), some Locktite Shoe Glue that remains flexible and says it's rubber/steel joint compatible. I put a small amount on each brace and carefully slid each POS into place so the outside rubber flange will adhere to the brace. Letting it sit for a day to cure. Hopefully this will be a strong enough flexible bond to get the bolts through the first tight spot as you push the bolt through the exterior rubber POS flange without pushing the entire POS into the tank shroud. Will update if results are other than expected.
VaraderoTwin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Pretty stupid design - the OEM windshield fastener assembly - hereafter called Piece of **** (POS). The lower two of four windshield POS on the AT (six on the ATAS) won't let you get your finger behind to keep from pushing the POS through when you try to get the bolt to the rubber encased nut at the back of the POS. It is only held in place on the steel windshield brace by a flimsy rubber flange on the rubber POS body with an encased nut at the other end. You have to push the bolt through the flange to engage the nut. The flange is pretty flexible and easy to push through the windshield brace where it tumbles out-of-sight into the tank shroud for the two lowermost fasteners. The upper nuts are exposed and no problem.

There's already two POS now waiting to be removed by a service tech when everything comes apart to service the air filters (another brilliant piece of design). Makes me wonder if Honda has problems these days finding qualified design engineers. I'm sure they would never implement design details like this just to generate revenue for their dealership repair shops. If that were true you would expect their entire OEM tool kit to consist of a single allen wrench! That said, I am in LOVE with the bike and would buy it again.

I got two new POS ($3 each), some Locktite Shoe Glue that remains flexible and says it's rubber/steel joint compatible. I put a small amount on each brace and carefully slid each POS into place so the outside rubber flange will adhere to the brace. Letting it sit for a day to cure. Hopefully this will be a strong enough flexible bond to get the bolts through the first tight spot as you push the bolt through the exterior rubber POS flange without pushing the entire POS into the tank shroud. Will update if results are other than expected.
Good luck, I hope the locktite keep those POS's in place!
Think there was a guy who said you didn't need to fully remove the lower bolts and you could pull out the whole thing after removing the upper two and just loosening the bottom. Haven't tried yet so can confirm

Kawasaki ER-6N (KIA)
Honda XL1000V Varadero (sold, sadly)
Africa Twin 2018 manual,red (my new baby)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

As you tighten the bolt it pulls the nut forward expanding the rubber behind the windshield bracket. With the fastener attached to the windshield but not tightened it will probably slip into the bracket - duh. Currently committed to the adhesive. If that fails I will give your method a try.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
As you tighten the bolt it pulls the nut forward expanding the rubber behind the windshield bracket. With the fastener attached to the windshield but not tightened it will probably slip into the bracket - duh. Currently committed to the adhesive. If that fails I will give your method a try.
When you fit the screw, don't push it into the wellnut to engage the brass bit.

Just put it in until it touches the rubber and then turn it with your fingers using gentle force. The screw thread will pull the screw into the rubber until it meets the brass nut, then tighten as normal.

I found out the hard way and I've used my new method about five times now with no problems.
Motorwerx and jamnut like this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Spot on JimInOz, no matter how well something is designed there will always be someone who can find a way to break it. There's no rocket science to removing and replacing the screen, did mine a few days ago to give it a decent clean. If the holes are lined up correctly then the screws will start with light finger pressure, no need to push the wellnuts back into the abyss that is the fairing.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 AM

Garage
Ah yes the well nut vanishing trick. I just bought new ones rather than take the fairing apart. I won't make that mistake again. As someone once said "Fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."
relz likes this.

The more you've found, the less you've been around.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 AM

Don’t use loctite on rubber. It won’t work and the rubber will disintegrate. In fact it acts like a lubricant so you will loose the rubber bits faster.
If you really want to glue them then use gloozit or RTV.

I’ve never pushed one out. Just be gentle and screw with fingers until the threads are engaged.

If you are ham-fisted enough to shove the rubber nut into the fairing you will not be having fun disassembling the fairing and will have a harder time snapping it all back together in correct alignment.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch Dugan View Post
Ah yes the well nut vanishing trick. I just bought new ones rather than take the fairing apart. I won't make that mistake again. As someone once said "Fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."
Exactly what I did. The first time I removed those screw one or two fell inside, and I said to myself "bugger it no way I'm taking apart the whole front of the motorcycle for a piece of rubber worth a few cents".
And then I bought a whole bunch of them on Ebay, for almost nothing. Now I'm super calm about taking off my windshield again....

Until I have to take apart my fairing for a good reason, or until it fills to the brim with those rubber well nuts, it's staying on with them inside
Ewen Whelan likes this.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime.", Burt Munro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page