2 sets of wheels - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr Bones
  • 3 Post By zippysworld
  • 1 Post By Henery
  • 1 Post By beerbikemike

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

2 sets of wheels

I always run knobby tires so when a second set of wheels came up near me for a decent price I pounced on them. Throw some road tires on and presto, how to make the most versatile bike twice as versatile
paxtonbrimstone1 and MPNM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM

It's not quite so straightforward though, is it. As.. Unless the wheels are fully complete, you either have to swap over or buy new. Sprocket, discs and abs ring.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 PM

I've had two sets of wheels on other bikes and it's a nice to have option. Although, so many 50/50 tires are competent on the road and really good on the dirt/gravel that I find that it's a pretty good compromise to just use the one set. If you're doing a lot of road touring and commuting it would be nice to have a street biased set of tires.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
I've had two sets of wheels on other bikes and it's a nice to have option. Although, so many 50/50 tires are competent on the road and really good on the dirt/gravel that I find that it's a pretty good compromise to just use the one set. If you're doing a lot of road touring and commuting it would be nice to have a street biased set of tires.
Being a one wheel set type of guy, Im trying out the Motoz GPS Tactionators to actually see if you can have the best of both worlds or is there a Massive trade off?

Watch this space....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:57 PM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I had a Michelin Anakee Wild front (50/50) and a Mitas E12 (80/20) set and it was superb in gravel and I pushed them as hard as I thought they'd go on the road (the AT is not a sport tourer) and they performed flawlessly. The only drawback - mileage - they go about 1/2 to 2/3 the distance of a more road-only tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippysworld View Post
Being a one wheel set type of guy, Im trying out the Motoz GPS Tactionators to actually see if you can have the best of both worlds or is there a Massive trade off?

Watch this space....

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Robert Louis Stevenson

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM

I have two sets, managed to get the first set back from the stealer when they were replaced under warranty. Swapped a couple of times by swapping sprockets ABS rings ..... not to be advised. Its a fair job and dealing with some small fixings that are lock tighted.
Managed to get second hand discs and all fixings for front, rear disc used and new ring and fixings.
Not cheap but very nice to have .
Hope they fit the 2020 1100 when it appears.....
MPNM likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
It's not quite so straightforward though, is it. As.. Unless the wheels are fully complete, you either have to swap over or buy new. Sprocket, discs and abs ring.

Correct, apart from the rear wheel sprocket, which one can move to the other wheel together with the sprocket carrier.

One thing I have always found problematic is the performance of (partly worn) pads on new disks, especially for the front wheel. This tends to result in a fairly weak front brake initially, until the pads bed in with the new disks. Ideally, one should also have two different sets of pads and change them as well, but this requires more time every time one swaps wheels.

The trick that I have been doing for years is to keep a 50-50 tyre in the front wheel (typically use Conti TKC80) and just swap the real wheel when I go offroad i.e. I only have a rear spare wheel, for which in the case of CRF1000 I had to buy a disc and ABS ring. Currently I run Conti TKC70 on the "standard" rear wheel and Conti TKC80 on the spare one. Next time I am thinking of trying a more aggressive rear tyre for the rear wheel, e.g. Mitas E09.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
For the one wheel set guys out there, Michelin just released a new tire that looks to be a good answer for both street and offroad use. The Anakee Adventure. It should fall right in between the Anakee III and the Anakee Wild. Comes OE on some 2019 BMW's and is a dual compound to help with mileage and cornering traction.
MPNM likes this.

Shinko Tires - Fly Racing - Scorpion EXO
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:53 AM

I just installed a set of Mitas E-07 (+ on the rear) and so far they perform fine on the road. Slight vibration at low speeds that evens out when you get above 25, and they are slightly louder. I have not tried them on wet roads or off road yet. The expense and hassle to have a 2nd set of wheels have driven me to the 50/50 route. I have heard good things about Tractonator, Con TKC 80 and Shinko 805. My offroad will be limited to jeep trails vs heavy off-road dirt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page