Gone Tubeless. Conti Trail Attack 3s on Kineo Rims. - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Gone Tubeless. Conti Trail Attack 3s on Kineo Rims.

PTwin, dascooter, lee711 and 4 others like this.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Very nice Sir.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Those look awesome! The Kineo spoke arrangement is very unique looking.

__
1984 Honda VF500 Interceptor, 2016 CRF250L, 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
__
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." Ė Robert Louis Stevenson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Is that a wider tire on the rear? It looks seriously beefy!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider78rr View Post
Is that a wider tire on the rear? It looks seriously beefy!
The fitment is identical.. but the tyre itself? its definitely a 150/70 R18

I still have the originals so, I'll compare them tomorrow in daylight.

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 PM

Looks great! Matt Black rim, Matt Black hub, Matt Black spokes and Glass Black spoke ends???
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dascooter View Post
Looks great! Matt Black rim, Matt Black hub, Matt Black spokes and Glass Black spoke ends???
yes.. unfortunately the rear sprocket wasn't black too... not the end of the world.

here are photos of the wheels as they were delivered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010022.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	909.3 KB
ID:	48039   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	956.8 KB
ID:	48041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	803.2 KB
ID:	48043   Click image for larger version

Name:	clean and shiny.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	48045  

Last edited by Motobiker; 04-16-2019 at 12:53 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:49 AM

Those wheels look great. So does the whole bike.I went the Alpina tubeless route with Gold rims, stainless spokes and black nipples. I initially thought gold looked best but maybe black is better. The Kineos cost more than alpinas but they are a better long term option (no rubber seals).
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

"Long term reliability" was the only reason for choosing them. It certainly wasn't due to the price. I was able to justify this to myself by not rushing towards the usual upgrades, like luggage or a more 'eye friendly' exhaust can. both of which are on my wish-list, but have had to be pushed back. What helped most of all was the unexpectedly large 'end of year' discount I got on the bike which meant I had rather more cash left in my savings pot than expected. I was seriously considering the Alpinas, but I read a few. (admittedly only a few) reports of leaking seals and asked myself if I wanted to take that risk? Sods law dictates if ts going to happen, it will probably happen to me.

The other option was BARtubeless who offer a 4yr warranty. But that comes with a risk. The original front wheel doesn't have the 'safety lip' designed to hold the tyre in place in the event of a puncture. and I didn't like that idea one little bit. Same goes for the various DIY options, the wheel is unchanged.

The biggest change for me with this bike is the move back to Chain Drive. Im fairly 'slap-dash' with lube, I use gear oil, rather than these new fangled sprays. (I may at some point fit a Cobrra Nemo) And after owning an 1100GS for the past 22 years I am sick to the back teeth of cleaning spoked wheels. So, "Black everything" was the logical choice, any oil 'fling' from the chain is and will remain virtually invisible. and that suits me perfectly. Cleaning is no more complicated than a quick wipe down with a WD40 soaked rag.

I was hoping to get some money back on the original wheels, But there are so many of them for sale on eBay, They are effectively almost worthless. unless the fact they are 2018s makes a slight difference. I left the original tyres on them as they done have just 1,500 miles.

One point with the Kineos, They werent exactly plain sailing. There was a tiny problem.

The 'air gap' between the rear wheel speed sensor and pulse ring should fall between 0.40 and 1.06mm. Once the new wheels were fitted the gap was found to be 0.20mm. Which resulted in quite unpleasant gear changes at the wrong speeds and the DCT never went above 4th gear. This was fixed by adding a 0.50mm washer to the sensor side wheel spacer. That cured it. Kineo are sending me a revised 'original' spacer to fit and the importer are chasing up a refund for the extra costs all this lead to. Half a mm. and the bike was a mess. whether that was a mistake on Kineos part or a slight shift in tolerances at the Honda factory. who knows? Kineo are now aware of this being a potential issue, which is a good thing. It was quickly sorted (with a bit of ingenuity) and I have no complaints.
MildlyInterested likes this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 AM

And how are the TA3ís working out ?

Love my TA2ís and the 3ís are the next logical replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page