DIY Oil Change - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

DIY Oil Change

The oil change.

I used the owners manual which gives a brief overview of how to check and change the oil. It says to remove the skid plate but doesn't show how. Its easy to figure out but again, just an overview. Here is a write up, pics are included on my blog (link in sig.)...It's late and I'm too lazy to link all the pics atm.

1.Tools.

5mm Allen head socket or wrench
12mm socket
Short extension
Socket wrench
Oil pan
Funnel
Oil. 4.4qt DCT, 4.3qt Manual (I use Honda GN4 10W-30 Sj)
Oil filter (15410-MFJD01)
(2) Sealing washer for 12mm drain bolts.

2. Skid plate removal.

Using the 5mm Allen remove the two bolts at the front of the plate facing the front wheel. The plate will pivot a little and you can now see that there is one rear bolt near the left foot peg and a peg on the frame facing inward which the right rear of the plate slides on to. Remove the foot peg side bolt and slide the plate off the peg.

3. Drain oil.

Remove two 12mm bolts from the crank case. Order of removal does not matter. You will need a bigger oil pan to catch both streams at once so if using a smaller pan only drain one at a time. If you do not have a center stand I suggest holding the bike in a straight up position to drain the most amount of oil out of the case. Once oil is drained from the case replace the sealing washers on the bolts and tighten the 12mm bolts (22 lbs/ft) and move the oil pan under the filter. Remove the filter and let the oil drain, holding the bike straight up again for a little bit.

4. Replace filter.

Lubricate the oil filter gasket by using some fresh oil on the tip of your finger. Honda suggests torquing to 19 lbs/ft but I'm assuming most won't have the special cap tool for the filter so spin on the filter and tighten until it is very snug.

5. Fill with oil.

Remove the oil fill plug and fit funnel into fill hole. For the DCT you will fill 4.4qt and for the Manual you will fill 4.3qt. The qt size bottle of the Honda oil has delineations of 200mL. 1 qt is 946 mL so you can roughly use the mL numbers to get a closer idea of what .4 and .3 of a qt is. 0.4 qt will be roughly 375mL and 0.3 qt will be roughly 285mL, round those off as you see fit. Once you've added the correct amount of oil replace the fill plug.

6. Check the oil level.

While on the side stand star the bike and let it idle for 3-5m. Switch off the engine and wait 2-3 minutes. Move the bike into an upright position (center stand, or second person needed). Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a lint free rag. Insert the dipstick until it seats but don't screw it in. Check that the oil level is between the upper and lower level marks. Replace dipstick and screw it back in tightly.

Go for a ride!

When I'm in a car I can't wait to get there. When I'm on a bike I can't wait to not get there. -RR

My DCT AT blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 01:25 AM

Garage
Oil Filter

Do you happen to have a part # for your oil filter. My dealer was having a hard time looking it up. They couldn't find me a shop manual either.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 AM

Interesting - I thought idling whilst on the centre-stand was better than idling on the side-stand? I'm sure this was the case 10 years or so ago as I was advised to not start my R1 and leave it ticking over on the side-stand - sit on it and hold it level said the mechanic. Presumably this avoids oil migrating to the lower side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 AM

Garage
Dear Superhatch,
I thought that a DCT has 2 oil filters, the one you describe and one for the clutches (the clutch oil filter). This one sits on the right side of the engine and is fixed with two small bolts and a cover. The filter is behind that cover. The filter is rather small.
Best wishes
L Coudert
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Dan View Post
Do you happen to have a part # for your oil filter. My dealer was having a hard time looking it up. They couldn't find me a shop manual either.
It's listed in the tool section. My parts guy referred to it as the "standard" screw on Honda filter.

When I'm in a car I can't wait to get there. When I'm on a bike I can't wait to not get there. -RR

My DCT AT blog
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCoudert View Post
Dear Superhatch,
I thought that a DCT has 2 oil filters, the one you describe and one for the clutches (the clutch oil filter). This one sits on the right side of the engine and is fixed with two small bolts and a cover. The filter is behind that cover. The filter is rather small.
Best wishes
L Coudert
You are 100% correct. They didn't have that part in yet.

Once it arrives I'll update with that section as well.

My DCT AT blog
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yromulus View Post
Interesting - I thought idling whilst on the centre-stand was better than idling on the side-stand? I'm sure this was the case 10 years or so ago as I was advised to not start my R1 and leave it ticking over on the side-stand - sit on it and hold it level said the mechanic. Presumably this avoids oil migrating to the lower side.
Maybe the sump has changed to allow for that with the assumption that most people will be starting their bike while on the side stand? That bit came right out of the manual so I just followed their lead.

My DCT AT blog
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCoudert View Post
Dear Superhatch,
Best wishes
L Coudert
You are correct. We can even buy them at eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-original...gAAOSw~oFXGcYM
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Do you guys care to guess why there is a second filter on the DCT?

JasonWD.com Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your rough location to your stats! We are an international forum.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWD View Post
Do you guys care to guess why there is a second filter on the DCT?
I typed out 4 guesses but they all sounded lame.

Care to clue us in?

My DCT AT blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page