Ocala FL, Blue Ridge Parkway, MABDR to Toronto (longish) - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By HockleyDS
  • 1 Post By HockleyDS
  • 1 Post By HockleyDS

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Ocala FL, Blue Ridge Parkway, MABDR to Toronto (longish)

So, I've just completed this ride SOLO a couple of days ago. The intent of this trip was to bring my AT home from where I had left it with my parents in Florida. As I had some time, I also planned to make this ride a bit more fun and avoid as much slab as possible. So, I also hit a number of scenic highways, and also included the MABDR (https://ridebdr.com/MABDR) as part of the fun. States/Provinces covered: FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, WV,VA, MD, PA, NY, ONT. I also intended on camping out where possible to reduce cost.

My ride: 2017 Africa Twin - Tri-Colour
Mods used this trip: Barkbusters, Bumot Sidecases, Kaoko throttle lock, Honda heated grips, Honda center-stand, powered accessory plug, MoskoMoto Tank Bag, AltRider Brake extender, Motoz GPS Tractionator tires front and back.
Other Trip accessories: OSMAND+ on phone for GPS routing, Garmin Inreach mini Satellite beacon, and purchased for this trip: Rev'it Sand 3 riding jacket and pants, Alpinestars Apex Drystar Gloves.

Note - there is a mini equipment report at the end.

Day 1- ride from Ocala to Magnolia Springs State Park, GA. Temps hitting 32C (89F). Good test of the new Rev'it Sand 3 Jacket and Pants cooling ability - with everything zipped open, pants venting seemed barely adequate, and chest venting not picking up much air behind the AT screen - the arm venting however is fantastic, carrying air forward and around through the back.
Stopped in Jacksonville, FL in order to buy some rain/winter gloves which I figured I'd need sooner rather than later. I was riding in this direction and only decided on a place to camp at aroud 3pm. I ended up cutting this rather close as I arrived 10 minutes before the office closed. Thankfully, they had a walk-in spot left for me. Surprisingly these walk-in spots had water supplied - which I don't think is that usual in Canadian campgrounds, but then again, I usually do hike through camping/backpacking. Anyways, makes for real easy coffee in the morning. Facilities were also great - clean, hot showers, etc. Loosened up with a short hike on the local 2 km trail after the ride.

Day 2- Blue Ridge Parkway. From the campground, I rode up to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and rode some of that absolutely spectacular road and scenery. Temperatures cooled down significantly from the day before to around 18C to 24C - suit quite comfortable with no liners in at these temperatures. As many folks have ridden this route, I won't say too much about this part of the ride. At 3PM again, looking for places to camp, google pointed me to a couple of places, but they were all not yet open for the season. I ended up staying at the Pixie Motel near Linville, NC after failing to find camping at Grandfather State Park. The owners said that they had just opened for their season - and in fact I was the only person there for the night.

Day 3 - Damascus, TN - start of the MABDR to Pembroke, VA through the Cherokee National Forest. This area is also a spot for a lot of Appalachian Trail hikers, so thankfully, there is a good coffee shop there to start the plan. This is where I started using the OSMAND+ app and following the most excellent GPS trail provided by the ridebdr.com folks - using the app and the GPS trail was a very satisfying experience, as OSMAND+ not only showed me the route, but also described the route like a rally driver - which was great offroad (eg/ "Slight left in 200m", "Sharp right in 100m and then slight left"). The GPS trail provided by the ridebdr guys also includes waypoints with Gas stops, food stops, and potential lodging which is immensely helpful.
The route at this point, is probably 10% paved roads, and the rest mixed gravel with dirt. Lots of switchbacks, climbs, descents, and very few people on the trails/roads that comprise the route. Very glad I brought the Garmin Inreach that I used to ping messages to my wife (no cell service).

Again, by 3pm or so, the skys had darkened considerably and it had cooled off a lot. The closest waypoint on the GPS track was the Mountain Lake Lodge, VA. Pulling in I was surprised by a considerably upscale hotel ( at least compared to my prior digs). I had very little time to absorb this before the sky opened up and started a torrential downpour. So with little additional urging, I booked a room. Great beds, but no in room TV, I ended up eating at the bar, primarily as I had a good coversation with the barman, (who informed me the next day the hotel was fully booked for one of the 3 annual "Dirty Dancing" weekends - which was the movie that had been filmed there).

Day 4 - Mountain Lake Lodge to HOMESTEAD INN MOTEL AN PETERSBURG WV, criss-crossing VA, and WV.
Parks: George Washington National Forest, Jefferson National Forest, Monongahela National Forest.
Conditions: Overcast, Sporadic Rain, Windy.
After the torrential rains the night before, and knowing that there were water crossings, I decided to forgo the water fordings as a solo rider. Fast water + solo rider after thunderstorm is bad juju. So I blew past the water crossing sections on some windy pavement instead, and rejoined once I was past them. There was still some really good riding here, but the conditions just didn't help to make it enjoyable. It was also sporadically raining, so few pics were taken. Towards the end of the day, toward the motel - it got really windy - to the point that I was worried the bike would blow over on the kick stand - I checked on it several times through the night. The motel was nothing special, but reasonable value - huge room, large bed, hot shower and clean.

Day 5 - Petersburg WV through MD to MT HOLLY Springs PA/ Carlisle, PA.
Parks: Green Ridge State Forest, MD, Calendonia State Park, PA, Michaux State Forest, PA.
Conditions: Day started off very windy, but tapered off after mid-day.

Came through the Horn schoolhouse (ca 1880s), and got the tour from the local lady who, along with her husband maintains the place. Lots of cool paraphernalia and each one has a story. Signed the book and left my mark on the blackboard along with the other ADV'ers who have passed through. The book had me as the 2nd person this year, but I'm guessing others have skipped the signing, as I saw a couple of others going the other way on the MABDR.

Lunch at the Belle Grove Wildlife Mgmt Area. Spectacular riding, sunny. Through Caledonia State Park. It is boggling my mind that there is such great riding here, and that adv bikes are allowed to ride it all. As I was bombing along in Michaux State Forest, I came upon three guys on BMW GSs heading the other way. Stopped for a chat, and as it turns out they were scouting for a leg of the MABDR. Anyways, we followed each other for a while, and ended up having dinner and a chat at a place in Carlisle called Redd's Smokehouse (Bar-b-q) which I would recommend.
Stayed the night at a Holiday Inn Express - these are all the same so nothing worth reporting here...

Day 6 - Carlisle, PA to Seven Mountains Campground, Spring Mills, PA.
Parks: Tuscarora State Forest
Conditions: Fog/Mist/Drizzle/Rain

After separating from the BMW trio, I headed off into the Forest following the trail. As it turns out, this day was a day of misadventures. Closed roads, requiring backtracking, GPS malfunctions - more backtracking, and finally a massive downed tree across the road with no way around - MORE backtracking. All this in drizzle and heavy Fog. After looking at the map, I decided to make a bypass by heading for the next fuel stop. After all the backtracking, I was getting worried about fuel. So I was quite dismayed when I came upon a closed sign at the waypoint for fuel. There was a lady sitting outside having a cigarette next door so I asked here where she thought the next closest open gas station was. She called her husband into conference and they concluded Port Royal some 70 miles down the road. They made some calls, and got me a splash of gas from a Jerry can that would let me make the distance to Port Royal. Extremely generous to a fault, they wouldn't accept payment ! Lovely Amazing folk. After todays' debacle, I decided to grab some chow and find someplace to sleep that was close to the trail to continue in the morning. I picked the Seven Mountains Campground...and set up my tent.

Day 7 - Seven Mountains Campground, Spring Mills PA - End of the MABDR in Lwarenceville, NY. Day end in Bath, NY.
Parks: Poe Valley State Park, Poe Pady State Park, Bald Eagle State Forest, White Mountain Wild Area, Little Mountain, Tioga State Forest
Conditions: -2C overnight warming to 9C by mid day.

So, when picking this campground, I should've realized that weather reports in the mountains are quite unreliable - it got a lot colder than I had planned for - along with the noise of the nearby highway, I got very little sleep. In the morning, the tent, the bike - everything was covered with frost.
Again, however, I was warmed by the generosity of strangers when a nearby camper came over and offered me a fresh brewed cup of coffee.
After warming up and packing up, I headed off to another cold, but fantastic day of switchbacks, forest roads, and rocky ascent/descents. Given the lack of a good nights sleep, I was determined to make it to a hotel this night and to finish the MABDR as I was so close. Made it to the end in Lawrenceville, NY, but was disappointed that the actual end was on a highway and I couldn't get a picture. Oh well - rode on to Bath, NY to get a nice hot shower and soft bed.

Day 8 - NY to Orangeville, ON and home.
Conditions: 6C - 11C
Rode the rest of the way on highways to make it home quick.

Equipment report:
Rev'it Sand 3 suit - 5/5. Performed very well - rain, cold, hot, lots of different conditions. Note - I did not use the thermal liner as I used my own thermal layers - rain liner worked just fine.
AdvRider Brake Extender - 5/5. A MUST have for this type of riding. Lots of standing, and the brake extender helps so much when standing.
Bumot Panniers - 5/5 - Waterproof, excellent mountings and stood up to the abuse of the trail.

Kaoko Throttle Lock - 4/5 - Not as good as a proper cruise control, but mostly does the job - a bit fidgety to properly set a speed.

OSMAND+ GPS Map - 4/5 - a bit obtuse UI, but once you figure it out, this app rocks - unbelievable value for money. It even helped me set a custom POI for water fordings!
Garmin Inreach mini - 4/5. There were a couple of times, that it took a while to connect to satellite/GPS properly before I could send a message, but this thing is a lifesaver.
Motoz Tractionator GPS - 4/5 - held up very well, on a heavily loaded bike. Tread life seems excellent, and grip was decent in the wet and loose surfaces - never felt sketchy to me. The rears were quite difficult to mount (gave up on doing it by hand and had to take it to a shop), but that was the only problem I had with these. There is a hum from these tires at speed (as expected).
Bumot Bash Plate - 4/5 - very heavy, but absolutely bombproof - I had all kinds of things clang off this thing, and one real bash against a rock.
Alpinestars Apex Drystar Gloves - 2/5. Waterproof as these things go, but once your hands are wet - very difficult to put back on. Didn't find them warm enough, even with my heated grips.
Honda Heated Grips - 2/5 - These things just don't get hot enough. I'm going to have to replace them..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190430_145016_IMGP.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	48287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190425_135332-EFFECTS_IMGP.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	48289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190426_151439_IMGP.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	48291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190427_163731_IMGP.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	48293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190428_114527_IMGP.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	48295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190428_132027_IMGP.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	48297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_073805_IMGP.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	48299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190429_135705_IMGP.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	48301  
Vapor and MildlyInterested like this.

2017 Tri-Colour Africa Twin, 2005 VFR800. AT Accessories: Bumot SideCases and TopCase, Barkbusters, Kaoko throttle Lock, Honda heated grips, Centre Stand and accessory plug, Eastern Beaver fuse box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Thanks for sharing your trip. If you don't mind, what was your sleeping setup and tent?

e

2018 Black AT
Vancouver, BC
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip. If you don't mind, what was your sleeping setup and tent?

e

The tent is an MSR Elixir 3: https://www.msrgear.com/tents/elixir-3 - Happy with this.

Sleeping Bag is an Down bag off of Amazon:

Note that at -2C it was survivable, but not what I would call comfortable. I would probably trust this bag to 5C for comfort.
Vapor likes this.

2017 Tri-Colour Africa Twin, 2005 VFR800. AT Accessories: Bumot SideCases and TopCase, Barkbusters, Kaoko throttle Lock, Honda heated grips, Centre Stand and accessory plug, Eastern Beaver fuse box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:52 AM

Great write-up, thank you. Might be a case for including a Rotopax with some emergency gas in it on future expeditions.
How do you like the Mosko Moto Nomad (?) I see on the tank there?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyInterested View Post
Great write-up, thank you. Might be a case for including a Rotopax with some emergency gas in it on future expeditions.
How do you like the Mosko Moto Nomad (?) I see on the tank there?

For the fuel, I was considering a Camel ADV Tank solution, but I'm in no rush yet to get one. I also have a fuel bottle for a camp stove that I had in my panniers. It was loaded with white gas from a camping trip already, but if it wasn't I would have put gasoline in there as my stove can also burn gasoline.

I like the Mosko Moto Nomad a lot. It has myriad ways to put things and tons of organization. Lots of smart features (for instance, the beavertail is fantastic for temporary easy to reach storage for things like gloves and passports when doing border crossings), elastics to hold charging wires, (sun) glasses holders, waterproof map cover, molle strapping, and places to hold containers for things like SD cards for the gopro. The fact that it also becomes a backpack, with a hydration pack is also helpful in the right circumstance. I keep things that I need close to hand there - headlamp, knife, earplugs, lens cleaners & microfiber towel, gps beacon, etc.
MildlyInterested likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:48 PM

Enjoyed that, thanks for the report.

I've been looking at that tank bag, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Without having seen one in person, i just can't decide if its big enough for my needs.

Your user name drew me in to read your ride report, wondering if indeed you were from the valley area. I'm an hour east of you, but you've got the good riding and trout fishing over there!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Hi Emway,

Assuming you mean the Hockley Valley in Ontario, yes, I (still) live here. Lots of nice riding around here. If you think you'll be in the neighbourhood - feel free to PM me for a ride! Sadly, my VFR has not been used anywhere near as much since I got the AT, but I have explored most of the gravel and dirt roads in dufferin and grey county.

PS. I'm also on advrider where I have a thread about Orangeville riders and rides - on that forum my handle is Chintrin.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockleyDS View Post
Hi Emway,

Assuming you mean the Hockley Valley in Ontario, yes, I (still) live here. Lots of nice riding around here. If you think you'll be in the neighbourhood - feel free to PM me for a ride! Sadly, my VFR has not been used anywhere near as much since I got the AT, but I have explored most of the gravel and dirt roads in dufferin and grey county.

PS. I'm also on advrider where I have a thread about Orangeville riders and rides - on that forum my handle is Chintrin.
Yessir, Hockley Valley is what I was referring to. Oddly enough, I've only ridden that area once before. Had my wife on the back and we just putzed around without really knowing where we were going. Somewhere near the Forks of the Credit though if I recall. I'm about 40 minutes NE of Markham, so I usually head north to the Haliburton area and east for day rides.

I'll look for your thread on ADV, thanks. (As if I need a reason to kill more time lurking that site!!) Like I tell my wife, it sure beats the heck out of watching tv!

If we get another couple decent days, i just may PM you and pop out that way. Would be nice to meet a fellow AT owner (have only met one so far) and I'd also love to get a peek at that Mosko bag.

Take care,

John
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockleyDS View Post
Hi Emway,

Yessir, Hockley Valley is what I was referring to. Oddly enough, I only recall riding out that way once. Forks of the Credit I believe it was called. I'm N/E of Markham, so when I day ride I most often head to the Haliburton area.
I checked out your thread on ADV, thanks. I'd enjoy hooking up with you guys for a ride one day. I leave mid May, 2020 for a 3.5 month ride out west. Maybe if you fellas are out riding before my blast off date next spring, perhaps I can swing out and join you. Will keep an eye on your thread.
Thanks,
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page