Fuel tank true capacity - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide in the land of Oz
Posts: 112
Fuel tank true capacity

Just wondering if anyone has filled the tank from empty to brimming full, and if so, how much fuel did you get in?
The capacity is quoted in the handbook as 18.8 Litres however I suspect its possible to squeeze a bit more in.
Personally, when refuelling I fill mine to the very top, not to the baffle plate as recommended by Honda because by the time I've ridden from the servo to home or work the level has dropped enough not to cause any expansion problems.
By the time I stop for fuel on the way to work today I'll have over 450 kms on the trip meter and I am curious to calculate exactly how much juice there was left, not much granted!
Sundodger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
fuelpincher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 212
I have run my U.S. model dry and it took 4.9gal. (18.55l) to fill. Hope that helps.
fuelpincher is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 465
For a moment there I thought you were referring to the 2018 models.

Any super/mods reading this: Going forward, we may have to create separate sub-forums: 2016/2017 vs 2018-current
Nemesis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide in the land of Oz
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
For a moment there I thought you were referring to the 2018 models.

Any super/mods reading this: Going forward, we may have to create separate sub-forums: 2016/2017 vs 2018-current
As far as I know, the 2018 models haven't been released in the colonies (US/AUS) as yet. No, my question was related to my 2017 DCT.
By the time I get to my usual servo on the way to work today I'll be close to pushing the bike I suspect I may even get to answer my own question if I run dry.
Sundodger is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Posts: 201
I've been thinking about this issue and possible solutions. My Honda ST1300 had a 29L tank and could easily get 450km with normal riding, but the AT only has 18.8L (claimed) capacity). Touratech make 2L & 3L fuel canisters, they also make quick release plates & adaptor plates that attach to a flat surface like the front or rear of panniers. A couple of 3L fuel canisters would add ~100km to the range of the bike. I could add a quick release plate to the rear of each pannier and then for a long trip I could clip in a couple or adaptor plates that hold fuel canisters.

Normally this isn't a problem, not here in New Zealand anyway. There just isn't a huge distance from one fuel stop to the next most of the time. But I'd hate to get caught short with no one around, misjudging the distance to the next fuel stop would be much less of a problem if I had a few litres of petrol that I could pour into the tank.
KiwiMark is online now  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
JohnG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
I've been thinking about this issue and possible solutions. My Honda ST1300 had a 29L tank and could easily get 450km with normal riding, but the AT only has 18.8L (claimed) capacity). Touratech make 2L & 3L fuel canisters, they also make quick release plates & adaptor plates that attach to a flat surface like the front or rear of panniers. A couple of 3L fuel canisters would add ~100km to the range of the bike. I could add a quick release plate to the rear of each pannier and then for a long trip I could clip in a couple or adaptor plates that hold fuel canisters.

Normally this isn't a problem, not here in New Zealand anyway. There just isn't a huge distance from one fuel stop to the next most of the time. But I'd hate to get caught short with no one around, misjudging the distance to the next fuel stop would be much less of a problem if I had a few litres of petrol that I could pour into the tank.
Hi there. I looked at various ways of carrying additional fuel. Although it is the pricier option I eventually settled for the Camel Tank. I like it because it is plumbed into the fuel line, but you don't have to fill it. In fact you can leave it empty. On longer trips I fill it to about the 6.4L mark and if I think I may be a 'bit' short I put in 3L. Its always there!!
transplant likes this.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
JohnG is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Junior Member
 
transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Hi there. I looked at various ways of carrying additional fuel. Although it is the pricier option I eventually settled for the Camel Tank. I like it because it is plumbed into the fuel line, but you don't have to fill it. In fact you can leave it empty. On longer trips I fill it to about the 6.4L mark and if I think I may be a 'bit' short I put in 3L. Its always there!!
My camel tank just arrived in the mail yesterday. it was more expensive, but the hope is that it will be more convenient. I dont want to be able to out ride my fuel capacity. Id rather stop because i want to or im sore than every 160-180 mi for fuel.


what kind of range do you average with the additional 1.5Gal?
transplant is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Hi there. I looked at various ways of carrying additional fuel. Although it is the pricier option I eventually settled for the Camel Tank. I like it because it is plumbed into the fuel line, but you don't have to fill it. In fact you can leave it empty. On longer trips I fill it to about the 6.4L mark and if I think I may be a 'bit' short I put in 3L. Its always there!!
I kinda prefer to not go to the expense and to the hassle of plumbing in a Camel tank. I just don't think there would be a need for the extra range and if I had a 2L or 3L container for a 'just in case' situation then I'd be pretty relaxed. I have not had a single instance of running out of petrol in the last 10 years of riding.

Of course, if you live or ride somewhere with further between fuel stops and regularly need a longer range like 400km or more than it makes sense to spend more on a good long term solution. You could even combine a 6.4L camel tank with 2 x 3L Touratech fuel canisters for over 500km total range.
KiwiMark is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
JohnG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant View Post
My camel tank just arrived in the mail yesterday. it was more expensive, but the hope is that it will be more convenient. I dont want to be able to out ride my fuel capacity. Id rather stop because i want to or im sore than every 160-180 mi for fuel.


what kind of range do you average with the additional 1.5Gal?
Hi. I fill the tank with 6.4L - leave a bit for breathing and expansion. When I need extra fuel it is because I am touring, not racing. I calculate it to give me about 125 kilometers extra, but with luggage etc I bank on about 110 kilometers.

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold
JohnG is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
 
JohnG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
I kinda prefer to not go to the expense and to the hassle of plumbing in a Camel tank. I just don't think there would be a need for the extra range and if I had a 2L or 3L container for a 'just in case' situation then I'd be pretty relaxed. I have not had a single instance of running out of petrol in the last 10 years of riding.

Of course, if you live or ride somewhere with further between fuel stops and regularly need a longer range like 400km or more than it makes sense to spend more on a good long term solution. You could even combine a 6.4L camel tank with 2 x 3L Touratech fuel canisters for over 500km total range.
Hi KiwiMark.
Yes it does largely depend on where and what type of riding you do. When I am riding in SA and its just me and a Mate, we can go into a town and top up. The whole ride is a bit more casual.

When you are with a bigger group, with each having 30L of fuel, its a issue dragging the whole group into a nearby town, unless you have beforehand worked out the 'splits'. The problem with the predefined route is that you cannot change your mind on the route, which for me, is what exploring is all about.

Riding in Countries like Namibia, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania having a long range is essential. Here the 6.4L Camel Tank is not enough. I also carry a Desert Fox 5L bladder that rolls up. I only fill that when I need to and decant into the Camel Tank as soon as I have done about 110 km's. On long sections like these you still need to nurse the bike to make sure you get the best fuel consumption possible. Slower speed and try to cut back on bags sitting too far out into the wind.

Anyway, I do whatever it takes to make the trip as enjoyable as possible. Having enough fuel is only one of the check boxes.

Happy adventouring!!

Africa Twin 2016 - Current
BWM GS1200 Adventure (12) - sold; BWM GS1200 Adventure (07) - sold; BWM GS1200 - sold; BWM GS1150 Adventure - sold; BMW GS1150 - sold; BMW F 650 (why?) - sold; Honda VF1000R - sold; Honda VF750F - sold; Suzuki GS 1000G - sold; Suzuki GT 750 - sold; Suzuki RM250 - sold; Suzuki 550GT - sold; Honda CB360 - sold; Yamaha XT250 - sold; Honda CB175 - sold; Yamaha DT50 - sold

Last edited by JohnG; 03-17-2018 at 01:10 AM.
JohnG is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear ruck loading capacity questions Savas Parts and Accessories 10 08-22-2019 09:30 AM
Fork oil capacity Todd Jackson Smith Wheels, Tires, and Suspension 10 12-06-2018 06:17 PM
Squeeling sound from fuel tank? africano Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 8 11-06-2018 02:07 PM
Help Please! Fuel tank removal. Ray Tuggley Engine and Technical Discussion 2 07-11-2017 10:23 PM
fuel tank removal? davidji Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin General Discussion Forum 6 01-03-2017 06:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome