A whole year of owning/mods - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

A whole year of owning/mods

Well that's been a quick 12 months flying by !!!

I don't have the big miles done that some owns have managed, just 6500 so far, but they've been very happy miles all the same. I thought I'd do a summary of the changes I've done over this past year.

First thing I got was a fender extender. I put these on any bike I buy, but never use the dopey screws as I just put extra tape on it plus silicon the edge under the guard. I also removed the stupid reflectors and covered the holes with the small Arai helmet stickers.

The full Arrow Ti exhaust was next. I agonised over which system was going to go on and the Arrow won hands down for its beautiful quality and old school looks. I did have to get a re-map done as it ran terribly lean.

The MRA black tinted short screen is actually my second aftermarket screen. I tried a Powerbronze Sports screen first and although it was high quality with a beautiful smooth edge all the way round it was a bit plain looking, like someone had just cut the upper part of the screen off. The MRA is much nicer looking, but they give you edging rubber to fit round it which I found impossible to get to sit right, so binned it.

Red anodised alloy reservoir covers were bought to add a little splash of colour to both front and rear pots.

Covers for the pillion mounts to tidy those up as I never take a pillion and don't need those bar when I'm going touring as the Honda panniers need those as fixing points.

Shortie levers replaced the oe ones as I only use two fingers for braking and they look much nicer than Hondas ones. They are cheapo Chinese copies, but seem really good quality.

TT GPS handlebar clamp mount with an SW-Motech q/r mount for my 595LM. I did have that mount on the bar of the screen above the clocks, but moved it down to the handlebars after reading quite a few folk were having breakages and Honda not covering a replacement screen frame under warranty.

SW-Motech Alu Rack. I had started off at the beginning with Hondas own topbox to go along with the panniers I bought. But it was just the wrong shape/size for what I need a topbox for and reverted to my Givi box instead. What I like about the Alu Rack is that it takes only a few seconds to fit the adapter plate onto it with the three q/r bolts, plus the rack is handy on its own if I need to bungy anything on when I don't have the topbox fitted.

Stebel horn. Because the oe one is crap.

Fork protectors. Nice clear thick vinyl with the Showa logo printed on them.

Home made rubber flap. Put this on to extend the protection for the bottom rear suspension linkage.

Alpina wheels. Open to serious debate.....but I'm too old to faff about with a puncture in a rubber tube. Yes, I could have gone for an Outex kit, but I decided to splurge out on these things of beauty.

Triumph Tiger 800 screen adjuster bolts. I use these to give easy access to the space below the pillion seat. In there, I carry my Dynoplug puncture repair tool, gas/inflator head and a multitool. Why Honda don't make this easy for owners is beyond me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2496.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	18786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	18794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	18802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	18810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	18818  

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	18826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2505.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	18834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2507.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	18842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	18850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	18858  

PTwin, Shedracer, 28033 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Davy F; 02-23-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

And finally, I had the horrible texture around the Honda badge painted gloss black.

And that's all.....for now. I will consider a Sargent seat when it's released later this year as I had one on my BMW 12GS which was superb. Although, I know they probably won't do their seat in the blue/black cover like the oe one.

Roll on this years miles !!!!

PS....sorry for a couple of duplicate pictures but I obviously got giddy looking at them !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2509.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	18874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	18882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2510.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	18890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	18898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	18906  

Name:	IMG_2502.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	18914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	18922  
PTwin, Concept, Shedracer and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Davy F; 02-23-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
Shortie levers replaced the oem ones as I only use two fingers for braking and they look much nicer than Hondas ones. They are cheapo Chinese copies, but seem really good quality.
I like these; do you have a link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanryn View Post
I like these; do you have a link?
I bought them off a mate who never fitted them to his AT, but look on eBay as that's where I'm sure he got them from.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

The pillion seat bolts are a great idea.

I think Honda put normal bolts there because they thought that people would just leave their alarms there. I keep my puncture kit in there and a handy tool to remove it elsewhere.

JasonWD.com Complete Trans America Trail '16. Check the blog.
Please add your rough location to your stats! We are an international forum.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I guess I should have also said I'm really happy with the AT. Just walking into the garage gives me a lift when my eyes fall upon it. It's also met my expectations and exceeded some of them which is always a good thing. I laid eyes on the new R12GS Rallye today and a very nice bike it is too. But I still prefer my AT, it really does do everything I need right now. Comfort, handling, economy, looks....for me it has it all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2148.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	19042  
Owen Finn, Jimrides and Shedracer like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:24 AM

Are these the Tiger 800 part T2301311? For some reason can't see your images so guessing what you've done!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:02 AM

Great mods Davy, I personally would like to fit the Triumph Tiger bolts for the rear seat and the clear Showa fork protection (where did you get those from please). Once I get my bike I have a few mods Iíd like to do, but Iím going to keep it pretty standard. I definitely want to fit Denali spot lamps with the variable brightness relay and Iím still debating the Tubless wheel conundrum. Iíve actually got the Outex Africa Twin kit at home already, but if I change my mind, that can go on eBay.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

The Showa fork stickers were bought off eBay.....most likely motoX protectors.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Is the horn plug and play?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page