6Likes
  • 1 Post By AfricaTwinAdmin
  • 4 Post By AT-Dragon
  • 1 Post By Speedo007

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Cool 2020 Honda Africa Twin Officially Teased

Honda teases new Africa Twin in a teaser video, but doesn't reveal any details about what changes are due on the updated Honda Africa Twin.

Honda has released a teaser video of what is almost certainly the updated Honda Africa Twin and a web link for prospective customers to register their interest in the upcoming 2020 model of Honda's adventure motorcycle. The teaser video doesn't actually show a motorcycle as such, but uses the tagline "True Adventure" along with the distinctive font, both used on only one motorcycle, the Honda Africa Twin. So, Honda certainly will be introducing a 2020 model of the Africa Twin, now the question that remains is what exactly are the changes we will get to see in the 2020 Africa Twin?

There have been rumours from Japan and several other reports indicating an updated Honda Africa Twin which will hit dealerships by 2020, with an official unveil of the new model very soon, maybe even before the year-end European motorcycle shows like Intermot at Cologne, Germany, or the EICMA show in Milan, Italy. Recent reports indicate that the Africa Twin will be launched as a 2020 model with a slightly bigger 1,084 cc engine, with more power and performance. But earlier reports from Japan also rumoured that Honda is working on a 850 cc version of the Africa Twin for 2020.

SOURCE
gvmumbral likes this.

If you need Admin support please post here: https://www.africatwinforum.com/forum...ormation-help/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 09:50 PM

From what research I've done, this is an article saying that the 850L will be coming in 2021. I've also seen from Honda that they're interested in making a beginner Africa Twin for new riders, so maybe something like a 550L or 650L, then 850L and at the top the 1100L

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-twin-for-2021
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Garage
Yea I’ve heard 1100L too, personally I ask why? More weight for what, a few HP gain, honesty can anybody here who has ridden their AT off road say that it didn’t have enough HP. Sure if you were gonna extend the swing arm put a paddle tire on it and enter in some hill climbing events you might need a bit more HP - But for the other 99.99% of us, the AT has plenty of horses to pull you through nature’s finest...
Now a 650 or maybe a 850 yea that would be good for those who do more off road than on and want a bit more nimble bike..

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.

Last edited by AT-Dragon; 08-03-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Leaks have diff headlights, cherry red color and ATAS tank for all 1100s. We'll see about the price, but unless Honda makes a 140+hp motor to compete with KTM and BMW then I doubt there will be much of an increase. Won't be getting it, though once I pay mine off I'll get something else and just keep the ATAS for trail rides. Was looking at MT-10 and CB1000r before getting the DCT so ...

'18 ATAS dct leftover
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Also would prefer the AT losing weight over gaining more power, I think it's plenty capable on and offroad. I'd also be willing to pay for an electronic suspensions option. Go from on to offroad setup in 1 second.
AdvArt likes this.

Last edited by Speedo007; 08-05-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Dragon View Post
Yea Iíve heard 1100L too, personally I ask why? More weight for what, a few HP gain, honesty can anybody here who has ridden their AT off road say that it didnít have enough HP. Sure if you were gonna extend the swing arm put a paddle tire on it and enter in some hill climbing events you might need a bit more HP - But for the other 99.99% of us, the AT has plenty of horses to pull you through natureís finest...
Now a 650 or maybe a 850 yea that would be good for those who do more off road than on and want a bit more nimble bike..
It has more than enough power, the problem is the competition has more. Buddy just bought the big KTM, his exact words is the power is stupid. LOL Im pretty sure he meant that in a good way though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giaka View Post
It has more than enough power, the problem is the competition has more. Buddy just bought the big KTM, his exact words is the power is stupid. LOL Im pretty sure he meant that in a good way though.
Yea unfortunately it’s a numbers game, a status thing - look at me my bike has xxx horsepower - and????? - My ATAS has 94HP and I have to throttle back in first and second to keep the front tire from coming to far up. It is what it is a ADVENTURE bike for trips and off road EXPLORATION - It is NOT a drag bike, GT, motocross, kinda bike. Yes, OK, it can be (and has been) “converted” to a rally bike.
Bottom line is: after the front wheel comes off the ground the rest of the horsepower is useless, unless you wanna do burnouts or constantly wanna overtake and pass people.

ďIf necessity is the mother of inventions, then laziness is the baby daddy.Ē A.A.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yea unfortunately itís a numbers game, a status thing - look at me my bike has xxx horsepower - and?????
Mostly an emissions game to meet the more stringent Euro 5 compliance isn't it? Honda has never seemed particularly interested in the cc/hp numbers games, trailing KTM, BMW, Ducati and Triumph in both.

https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-crf...etails-leaked/

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yea I’ve heard 1100L too, personally I ask why?
Trying to grab more sales from BMW. or if not BMW then the other big makers.

I actually don't consider the R1250GS to be an adventure bike.. what I think is that its a boxer powered sports bike disguised as an Adventure bike. And the supposed 1100 wont be a direct competitor for that

Maybe.. they are trying to steal sales from the F850GS and other similarly sized bikes. Tiger XC, even the KTM 1090, possibly.

30th anniversary DCT 'Sport.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motobiker View Post
Trying to grab more sales from BMW. or if not BMW then the other big makers.

I actually don't consider the R1250GS to be an adventure bike.. what I think is that its a boxer powered sports bike disguised as an Adventure bike. And the supposed 1100 wont be a direct competitor for that

Maybe.. they are trying to steal sales from the F850GS and other similarly sized bikes. Tiger XC, even the KTM 1090, possibly.
Yea, maybe.... But I still say smaller would be better - a more nimble AT would be great for the single tracks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in