Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joining up, intentions are to get an anniversary Adventure Sports in the next month or two. I have a few bikes including a nice XRV750 which I’ll be letting go once I have a new bike.
I really fancy a DCT although I haven’t ridden one yet, I’ll be happy to have everyone’s opinions, and also on the foot change, if it’s worth having. Is it like the paddles in the car, there but forgotten about?

cheers

J

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome
I have a 2017 DCT. I don't have the foot changer and really don't miss changing gear with my left foot. I mix it between the sport mode or manual and left hand changes on the buttons. It is brilliant. I've no intention of changing the bike for many years to come. It does all I need (I came from a 1200 GSA)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome
From same neck of the woods
I’d be keeping that XRV especially if a nice one. I’ve had mines 17 years & never thought of selling once

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Hi and welcome, no worries on the foot pedal, without it it gives your left hand something to do since you no longer have to grab a clutch..

Reactions: Jakethepeg007

·
Registered
500 Posts
Just joining up, intentions are to get an anniversary Adventure Sports in the next month or two. I have a few bikes including a nice XRV750 which I’ll be letting go once I have a new bike.
I really fancy a DCT although I haven’t ridden one yet, I’ll be happy to have everyone’s opinions, and also on the foot change, if it’s worth having. Is it like the paddles in the car, there but forgotten about?

cheers

J
2019 ATAS DCT here. I rode for almost 5 decades with foot shift and hand clutch. Occasionally I still find myself reaching the clutch lever and shift pedal but most of the time don't miss it. For me, the optional foot shift isn't worth it. If you can find a DCT you can ride for 30 minutes or more try it out. Do get someone to go over the switches, riding modes and other features first. There are some different techniques for some situations with the DCT. The DCT might be compared to bagpipes. People seem to love them or hate them. Not a lot of people in the middle. Honda sells a significant number of ATs with the DCT option. It does well most of the time and when it doesn't pick the gear I want, a push of a button does. I don't plan to part with mine anytime soon. There are several threads here on using the DCT. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
270 Posts
I’ve just recently got my 2019 ATAS DCT, after 40 years of riding Manual bikes with a clutch.

I absolutely love the DCT, in fact the whole bike, I can’t see me ever changing it, every ride I take is pure joy.

Go for it you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Dundee Alum here. You must be pretty sick of the cold spring rain and eagerly waiting for the cold summer rain.

On the subject of DCT's I didn't want one, but after two hundred miles I am really warming up to it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Africa Twin DCT
54 Posts
I have a 19 DCT myself. Do you plan on off-roading? If so, I recommend using the manual paddle shifters on singletrack or ATV double track. The foot shifter is pretty cool if you decide to buy one. The foot shifter is expensive though and might not be compatible with some aftermarket lower crash bars if you go that route. If you are going to be touring on the open road, then you don't need to worry too much about it. Just remember that there isn't a clutch to bail you out in case you whiskey throttle. I was taught to use the rear brake pedal in place of the clutch on the DCT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have my deposit down today on a 2019 DCT, hopefully it won’t be too long before I can collect it, and work doesn’t call me back nowo_O

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you see that Two Wheels in Edinburgh had an unregistered ATAS 1000 DCT for sale on their website ? Just spotted it earlier. It’s the grey colour not R/W/B but still a good price for a brand new bike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts