Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m taking in my 2021 ATAS DCT for its 600 mile shakedown first maintenance check and after spending a weekend on backcountry roads camping fully loaded and going up and down some twisties I LOVE the bike but have one remaining new rider concern.

There’s a very faint sound that’s so hard to isolate either grinding from the rotor (most concerning to me) or it’s an intake or compression sound I’m maybe not used to on a bike with this much displacement. I can’t get it to record on a GoPro, and it’s hard to determine through a helmet.

However here’s how I can always always hear it: 45 mph, dropping downhill, idle on the throttle. Weird faint hissing / grinding not related to the dct shifting at all and it does not sound to me like engine braking.

I do notice there’s squeaking from brake / fork when the bike is in N and I compress the fork with some weight transfer…

Someone tell me this is just noise from a big boy bike please? Can’t believe how much riding just in D mode made me worry about the bike and thanks to you all lost my fear of lugging.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,851 Posts
Yea squeaks are hard to track down. Hopefully when you take it in they can replicate it at the dealer and let you know just what you are hearing..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe I have heard the same noise on my 2021 ATAS manual transmission when Im decelerating with engine braking. I suspected it was related to the chain drive but have so far been unsuccessful in isolating it. Please keep this thread updated if you learn more and I’ll do the same. While the sound is novel and disconcerting, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the bike as though the sound didn’t exist!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe I have heard the same noise on my 2021 ATAS manual transmission when Im decelerating with engine braking. I suspected it was related to the chain drive but have so far been unsuccessful in isolating it. Please keep this thread updated if you learn more and I’ll do the same. While the sound is novel and disconcerting, it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the bike as though the sound didn’t exist!
I passed along my curiosity about it to the dealer mechanics as I handed her over for the first shakedown maintenance, let's see if they come up with anything. For me it really really sounds like rotor abrasion of some kind, but again so hard to tell. And yeah, this weekend alone I did a few hundred with a wife and fully loaded panniers on every kind of road, bike handled everything flawlessly. I just really didn't like hearing it when coming down some twisties with the wife in pillion and all our camping gear. Really hoping it's just some kind of intake / engine braking sound. Will keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts