Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that year went quick!

I got my AT manual on 03 Jan 2018. I have covered just over 16k (10k miles). Here are my thoughts!
Got it with free Honda luggage, tall screen & centre stand.
Added Heed upper crash bars, Bumot skid plate & Oxford heated grips.
Changed original tyres to Mitas E07+ rear & E10 front. Currently have 7k kms & will get another 1500kms at most from set.

This is a bike you can ride 12mths of the year in nearly all weathers. Very comfortable for long trips.
Personally, I'd like another 20-40 hp, but I did come from a GSXR 1000.

Good points:

Paint finish seems very good. Only few very small stone chips on mudguard & front fairing.
Lovely lazy torquey engine. Usually ride along at 100-120kmph (60-75mph). Have seen 225kmph on clocks
Fuel comsumption is excellent. 4.7l/100km since new (61mpg)
Looks good....better than alot of the other adventure bikes
Hasn't let me down yet.
Did a France/Spain trip last year & bike was ideally suited.
Looks like it could tackle anything....haven't really taken it off road that much.
Sounds excellent with standard can.

Bad points:

Wheel/Spoke corrosion....waiting on replacements from Honda
Lacking HP
Couple of missed gears (alot more than any other bike I've owned)
Heavy bike to pick up (3 different experiences)
Honda panniers: poor finish on aluminium....oxidisation issue!
Speedo reads 10% high
Outside temp reads 2deg c high.
Bike cut out once in 2nd gear for no reason (this was a once off, may have been rider error??)

Would I recommend? Yes

I'd give this bike 7.5/10

Just my opinions.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sounds like you are enjoying it. I agree with all of your positive and drawbacks. It's been a great bike. I haven't experienced any of the corrosion issues. For the offroad part, you should give it a try. It's way more capable offroad than I'll ever be.

I'd give mine an 8.5 or 9 /10. It's been that good. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a solid season on my 2017 tri color manual, and 13k km.

Base bike gets a 7/10.
Equipped as it should have been from factory (pegs, usb plug in, TC memory setting, proper suspension, and a working fork-OEM replaced with 2018 legs. Will fail. Replaced with Ohlins fork) 9/10

Your bike cutting out could have been the side stand switch

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good little write up.
I agree with parts of it...spoke quality etc
Mine is a DCT, never had it cut out and I don't feel it lacks power. Regularly ride with a mate who has 125hp Adv bike and I have no issues at all (he does if I cane it from standstill)
I'll never ride off road (may do gravel tracks) but I knew it was a 250kg bike and I've no desire to try to pick it up on some muddy lane (Its the UK so we seldom have dry, sandy tracks) The weight doesn't really concern me (if they could shave 30kg off I'd be happy)
Same thoughts on the ally panels on the panniers so I took mine off, wrapped them in £10 worth of black vinyl wrap and put them back on.
For me and my riding, it's a 9/10 all day long. It shouldn't on paper, but in real life it feels way lighter than my 1200 GS

·
Registered
510 Posts
Best bike I've ever had. Fits me perfectly. If you don't try to stretch the throttle cable twice a week, you don't need more power. No engine heat like I've heard about KTMs. Also have heard that BMWs are a little bit unwieldy-feeling. This is not. A little topheavy pushing around the garage, but all goes away once the wheels start to turn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had my AT for approx 3 months now. Before this I had a 2014 Vstrom 1000. The Honda although heavier is so much easier to move around in the garage and feels more balanced and lighter at slower speeds. Both bikes have very similar handling at higher speeds although due to the 21" front wheel the AT does feel a bit vague in fast corners. The engine though is better in every way good low down torque and power that just keeps coming whereas the Vstrom would run out of puff higher in the rev range. I find the seating position all day comfortable on the AT. I have the DCT version and absolutely love it, it provides the best of both worlds with the option of manual changing. Only thing I may change is modifying the wheels to take tubeless tyres as I probably won't be going offroad.

Still have many miles and adventures to have with this bike and I'm really looking forward to that.
Just to say I tried a 1200GS before buying the AT , brilliant bike, but bottom line came down to price and Honda reliability. I've had BMW bikes before and spent far to much time fixing things that went wrong !

:smile2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts