Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Owner's manual tells us to use 10W-30 oil, what would happen if one used 10-40? will this do any harm and why?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Put it this way I woulds put 10w40 synthetic in mine and not worry about it, it stays in grade longer at high temperature, Honda don't thinks its needed and they are probably right but I don't think it will do any harm other than perhaps void your warranty if Honda were being very picky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put it this way I woulds put 10w40 synthetic in mine and not worry about it, it stays in grade longer at high temperature, Honda don't thinks its needed and they are probably right but I don't think it will do any harm other than perhaps void your warranty if Honda were being very picky.
Void warranty, and "not worry about it?" I'm worried. :surprise:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was considering it until you said "... perhaps void your warranty..." My consideration was dependent on knowing more information. Now that I have that warranty info, I am no longer considering 10W-40. Does that make sense to you now?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was told by the Honda importers here that I should use 10/40 and not even full synthetic. 10/30 is not available here.

If the JASO spec of the oil is within that specified by Honda then one should not have much to worry about, unless one is operating in extremely cold temperatures during winter time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was told by the Honda importers here that I should use 10/40 and not even full synthetic. 10/30 is not available here.

If the JASO spec of the oil is within that specified by Honda then one should not have much to worry about, unless one is operating in extremely cold temperatures during winter time.
They are both 10W so should be the same in the cold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I changed out my oil at 400 miles with Honda dyno and then again at 1000 miles switched to 10W30 Amsoil w/Amsoil filter. Hondas recommended interval is 8000 miles and you can double that with Amsoil up to 15,000 miles or 1 year so I am good till next September. I do put over 10,000 miles on a year but that is on multiple bikes. Keep in mind that 10W40 will also affect your gas mileage too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hondas recommended interval is 8000 miles and you can double that with Amsoil up to 15,000 miles
If you're going to try it, better to perform used oil analysis during your intended oil change interval, and make sure it's working like you expect. Barring that, you could see how that oil holds up in similar motorcycle engines in the motorcycle used oil analysis forum on bobistheoilguy (I'd post a link to that forum, but my post count is low, and I'm not allowed to).

I'd be surprised if the Amsoil remained in grade for 4k miles, let alone 8k or 15k.

Shared sump bikes shear oil out of grade quickly. Few oils remain in grade anywhere near the manufacturer's recommended interval, let alone double it. OTOH if one started with 10W40, maybe the shearing down to 30 isn't so bad.

Back to the original question, when I searched this topic, NC700X owners claim that while their owner's manual only recommends 10W30, 10W40 is also listed in the service manual. Anyone check the Africa Twin service manual? Are other oil grades listed there?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is your bike DCT? If so I'd stay with the 10w-30, there really is no advantage to the 40 weight unless you are riding in steady 100+ degree heat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Only 10W-30 in Shop Manual.
Thanks!

Mine is DCT.

My concern was mostly about the gearbox--I wasn't aware 30 was sufficient to protect one. I read tales of people finding galling of gears on teardown from inadequate oil protection. Not related to our bikes or oil, just a concern I had.

The other issue is Jaso 40 is cheaper and more available than Jaso 30. With Shell's revised labeling, Rotella T5 10W30 has a Jaso MA2 on the label, so there is an affordable one--just discovered that today when I went oil shopping. AFAIK T5 didn't used to have Jaso on the label.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Turkey, Honda Dealers are using 10W-40 because they don't have 10W-30 and guarantee is still valid. But I suspect the this might be the one of reasons of false N in the gear box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the Owner's manual tells us to use 10W-30 oil, what would happen if one used 10-40? will this do any harm and why?
GN-4 10W-30 or better. As my local dealer and people whom I know having years more experience have said. Use the brands oil and filters, keep the receipts, go by the recommendations in the manual for changes and they have no reason to deny any warranty claim.

I asked about 10W-40, wondering about operating the bike in higher temps like Death Valley and they said yes, do that. I have now been using the 10W-40 Honda blend (non molly) gold bottle/red cap. I know......over kill.

My dealer thought I was throwing money away. It was a funny exchange when I was there talking this over. He tells me.....why pay that much for oil? I question him......that much?! It's only like $8ish a bottle? He said.....yeah, that's a few more dollars then you need too. I thought.....that's cheap! :confused: He looks at me and says......wait, what kinda bike were you buying oil for? I tell him.....BMW and a Husqvarna. He starts to laugh and says.......Oh, you're one of those guys. (LOL) You just want to pay double for everything......yeah, I get you guys in here every so often, looking to spend more money on everything just because you're used to it! :D I laughed.....and told him he was right. I was used to spending like $12-$18 a bottle for oil so even the Honda blend seemed like super inferior crap. My dealer goes on and says.....I bet you Honda tested the crap out of this motor on basic 10W-30 non synthetic, bottom of the barrel oil, knowing the general public wouldn't pay for better.

Anyway, not to start a crazy oil debate......put what you like in it, it's your bike but you can't go wrong with basic 10W-30 or for highter temps 10W-40.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was considering it until you said "... perhaps void your warranty..." My consideration was dependent on knowing more information. Now that I have that warranty info, I am no longer considering 10W-40. Does that make sense to you now?
If you're concerned about voiding your warranty (I doubt you would be, but I don't know), call Honda customer service and get the definitive answer. Shouldn't take long to settle the matter and put your mind at ease.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you're concerned about voiding your warranty (I doubt you would be, but I don't know), call Honda customer service and get the definitive answer. Shouldn't take long to settle the matter and put your mind at ease.
MCGMB,
Do me a big favor, (please) call Honda customer service, stay on hold for 19 hours, ask the question and then get back to all of us with the answer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I did an oil & filter change recently at 4k miles. My honda dealer recommended and sold me Silkolene fully synth 10-40 which is what they use in the workshop, (same as I use on 690 End R), makes it nice and easy.

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
MCGMB,
Do me a big favor, (please) call Honda customer service, stay on hold for 19 hours, ask the question and then get back to all of us with the answer.
The times I've called various motorcycle manufacturers CS hasn't been that bad.

Maybe I've been lucky?

Call in the off hours (not Monday, not right when they open, not right after work). Put phone on speaker while you do something else.

It's not like you're calling a state's Dept of Motor Vehicles...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts