Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi All!

I've looked what exactly is mentioned in the Honda shop manual (german version | Part#: 64MJP00).

Translated:

Recommended Engine oil Honda "4-Stroke-Motorcycleoil" OR equal Motoroil.

API Class SG OR higher (BTW, corresponding to what Castrol is stating "SG" is obsolete and not longer valid).

JASO T903-Specification: MA

Viscosity: SAE 10W-30

So IMHO the Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-30 i. e., or equal oil from other brands should fit into the CRF.

As long as I use Hondas original oil filter and keep the bills for oil and filter I'll not be afraid of warranty issues.

ONCE AGAIN, THAT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION!!!

On the other hand, if I would be afraid of warranty issues in conjunction with oil and oil filter I would simply go to a certified Honda dealer for oil- and oilfilter change. This would cost me a few bucks more but, all my worries would be gone by doing so.

Have a great ride, gerhard

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just change my African Twin DCT oil and filters at 600 miles and unfortunately once finished I noticed the Honda shop gave me 10w40 instead of 10w30. Being 4 hours from the store I'm wondering if it is a big deal or not to ride with the 10w40 in Colorado Mountains until the next oil change which will be after riding the UT & Colo BDR's? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just change my African Twin DCT oil and filters at 600 miles and unfortunately once finished I noticed the Honda shop gave me 10w40 instead of 10w30. Being 4 hours from the store I'm wondering if it is a big deal or not to ride with the 10w40 in Colorado Mountains until the next oil change which will be after riding the UT & Colo BDR's? Any thoughts?

The thing to watch on your particular bike is how the DCT performs. are the gear changes as smooth as before both up and down the gears and when you press the button to change from neutral to D mode.

if you notice differences in DCT behaviour that causes you any concern, then change the oil back to the Honda specified 10w30.

That would be my attitude if i was in the same situation as you are.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts