Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the LED headlights but tired of getting flashed have adjusted them.

The base adjustment from the dealer seems to be a bit off. As I did not find a measure in the manual to use, I bottomed them out and started back up 1 rotation at a time.

What I've settled on is 5 rotations up.

This is much lower than original aim and seems to give a balance between good for me and good for on-coming traffic.

Running tree lined country roads before dawn let me see the demarcation between low and high beam. It seems good for east coast US. Were I out west I'd want a farther throw but that would be with aux lights anyway. (These are coming....)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I extended an afternoon mosey to include some post-sunset time. After some more woodsy two lane, I backed the lights down a bit. So now I'm at up 4 rotations plus 2 tines of the adjusters. I suppose it will also depend on how much load I'm carrying as to how well I have this dialed in. I did not get flashed tonight. So that's good.

These are some of the best OEM lights I've had. The high beam really throws some light. But I also have some Cyclops cannons waiting for a mounting solution and then I plan to have the ability to signal ships in orbit.... :ROFLMAO:

...and just because I think all threads are better with pictures, here's one from a stop tonight at a crossing for a cycling path that uses repurposed rail line.

·
Super Moderator
2,265 Posts
I like the LED headlights but tired of getting flashed have adjusted them.

The base adjustment from the dealer seems to be a bit off. As I did not find a measure in the manual to use, I bottomed them out and started back up 1 rotation at a time.

What I've settled on is 5 rotations up.

This is much lower than original aim and seems to give a balance between good for me and good for on-coming traffic.

Running tree lined country roads before dawn let me see the demarcation between low and high beam. It seems good for east coast US. Were I out west I'd want a farther throw but that would be with aux lights anyway. (These are coming....)
Been waiting for a good foggy night for all my aux. lighting and to double check the main light.
some heavy fog and night gives you the best view of exactly where the main beam of light is going as well as the spread. I’ll usually put a heavy towel over the headlight and one of the two in the set and adjust them one by one. Then check as a set.

Reactions: Dieselboy

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check your suspension sag. Low rear will aim your lights high.
If you weigh more than 150 lb and carry luggage you for sure need to crank the shock preload up - probably to max!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Check your suspension sag. Low rear will aim your lights high.
If you weigh more than 150 lb and carry luggage you for sure need to crank the shock preload up - probably to max!
Agree but I will likely reveal my suspension knowledge short comings with my next thoughts.

What is available on the ES is four rear preloads and I do play with them based on load. The front is adjusted automatically depending on mode. Usually I ride in "Urban" to give a little more compliance. I move to "Tour" for more spirited riding. When I'm in full on thrash it mode, I use "USER 1" which has allowed me to up the preload front and rear beyond the factory settings.

I found the auto settings slightly loose when carving the mountains in full throttle, brake, and lean attacks. But I try to stay in the various auto modes as I move through my rides not involving full commitment.

I do like the ES. It allows me to easily experiment especially as the road surface changes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You have 6 riding modes and 5 suspension modes. The first four suspension modes are linked to the various riding modes, whereas USER riding mode allows custom adjustment of the USER suspension mode.

USER suspension mode: A customize-able mode that allows fine damping adjustments front and rear, along with 24 points of rear-spring preload, to meet rider preference.

Good luck with all that EA stuff. Check your sag - with you geared up on a 1/2 fuelled bike you should use one- third of the 9.1” front and 9.4” rear travel.

This is more understandable - Front and rear suspension on the standard version of the Africa Twin are also fully adjustable including preload, compression damping and rebound damping, with tuning changes accomplished via traditional dials and knobs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You have 6 riding modes and 5 suspension modes. The first four suspension modes are linked to the various riding modes, whereas USER riding mode allows custom adjustment of the USER suspension mode.

USER suspension mode: A customize-able mode that allows fine damping adjustments front and rear, along with 24 points of rear-spring preload, to meet rider preference.

Good luck with all that EA stuff. Check your sag - with you geared up on a 1/2 fuelled bike you should use one- third of the 9.1” front and 9.4” rear travel.

This is more understandable - Front and rear suspension on the standard version of the Africa Twin are also fully adjustable including preload, compression damping and rebound damping, with tuning changes accomplished via traditional dials and knobs.
Keeping in mind the four suspension settings within the present riding modes have 3 'levels' of adjustability for 1up, 2up, +luggage (1 or 2 up). Having ridden the bike extensively under all loading conditions on a wide range of surfaces, aggregates, altitudes (1up [6' 195lbs], 2up[6' 140lbs], both with and without luggage [+/- 150lbs]) I have yet to feel the need to fine tune the user suspension settings. My sag is well within the limits above and the bike has been consistently thrashable under all mentioned conditions using the stock ES and preset riding modes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...the bike has been consistently thrashable under all mentioned conditions using the stock ES and preset riding modes.
I have had similar experience. With the exception of the most extreme canyon carving, I find the modes very accommodating. Even then my tweaks to the user-mode preload are experimentally small in increment and not necessary in south Florida. The hard driving lefts and rights with steep elevation changes are not to be found here. I'm also finding that my beloved Dunlop Trail Max Missions are best when fresh. At 50% life, the suspension ideal is overtaken by my management of the traction patches and wear patterns of the tires. But hey, it's a dirt bike at heart, so the maximum road play is only a diverting exercise in "what can we actually squeeze from this machine". All good fun on a great bike.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Keeping in mind the four suspension settings within the present riding modes have 3 'levels' of adjustability for 1up, 2up, +luggage (1 or 2 up). Having ridden the bike extensively under all loading conditions on a wide range of surfaces, aggregates, altitudes (1up [6' 195lbs], 2up[6' 140lbs], both with and without luggage [+/- 150lbs]) I have yet to feel the need to fine tune the user suspension settings. My sag is well within the limits above and the bike has been consistently thrashable under all mentioned conditions using the stock ES and preset riding modes.
Honda must have made massive suspension changes since 2017. I’m 155lb and even with preload on shock cranked to max I could barely achieve proper sag with no luggage. I also continually bottomed the forks off road and the shock was horrible on corrugated gravel uphill.

Can’t imagine how my 2017 could support 485 lb of rider, passenger and luggage. New springs and re-valve and now perhaps it could.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts