Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one of the cheap service manual copies on ebay , and not sure if it'll have wiring schematics in it when I get the download. When I build my auxiliary lighting setup, I want my high and low beams to trigger my relays. I plan to get the genuine Honda service manual eventually, but not until my first valve check comes around. Since I have a US bike, it appears the factory wiring isn't pre-terminated for fog or driving lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little research, and I discovered the Blue (high beam wire) and the white (low beam wire) have a connector right above the BCU (body control unit) just under the rear fuel tank bolt and stay assembly. They're the only wires in that particular connector, so that's pretty convenient. You can access that connector pretty easy to tap into the wires, and use them to trigger Your lighting relays. If I can find a source for the actual connectors, I could even make it so I could build a plug and play wire tap, so I won't have to cut the wires. Just use the connector as the wire splice point.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,876 Posts
A little research, and I discovered the Blue (high beam wire) and the white (low beam wire) have a connector right above the BCU (body control unit) just under the rear fuel tank bolt and stay assembly. They're the only wires in that particular connector, so that's pretty convenient. You can access that connector pretty easy to tap into the wires, and use them to trigger Your lighting relays. If I can find a source for the actual connectors, I could even make it so I could build a plug and play wire tap, so I won't have to cut the wires. Just use the connector as the wire splice point.
Yep, sorry missed your thread. I did this for my “off-road“ hyper spots, hooked a relay in-line with the high beam to automatically come on with the high beam switch. Only issue was that there was ABSOLUTELY no way I could of flash my high beams at someone in on coming traffic who has theirs on. Those lights will definitely cause serious night blindness… So just a heads up to you depending on what kinda lights you are planning on hooking up. BTW the solution of sorts for that problem; I ended up putting the opaque protector/covers on those lights…

Reactions: JamieMac

·
Registered
319 Posts
i posted the wiring harness templates in some topic.

Reactions: JamieMac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out, the 2 wire connector on top of the BCU is for the rear antilock sensor. After studying the schematic again, they are the exact same colors as the headlight wires, which is unusual and stupid, but I'm glad I discovered it. They will not work to trigger lighting relays, obviously. Oh well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts