Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my sights set on getting the more basic 1100L but the Adventure Sport with Electric suspension is becoming more appealing, are they worth paying the extra for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had the previous Adventure sport and now I have the new 1100L. No regrets. Mine has heated grips which are very handy this time of year.
It has a lot more tech as you know and in my opinion it rides a lot better than the 1000. The suspension is better but I haven't tried the ES version I would imagine it's like a lot of things for me. Once you've found a setting you like that's it. You don't use it again.
The 1100 is a better bike in so many ways I doubt the Adventure sport is worth the extra.
Unless you really need the extra range I think you will be very happy with the standard bike. I am.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I had my sights set on getting the more basic 1100L but the Adventure Sport with Electric suspension is becoming more appealing, are they worth paying the extra for.
Bonehead,
If you've done any research at all, which I suspect you have, there's quite a bit more features on the Adventure Sports model than the basic Twin model. I've forgotten all the add-ons or available options there are but, the big question is, are any of them, one single one, or ALL of them, worth the added cost, to you and your riding style and abilities? In other words, will you utilize all those extra cost features, to warrant the cost? When I bought, one of the prime benefits of my '18 AT/AS/DCT was the larger fuel tank. It just made sence to me to not have to stop more for fuel, if and when I was out on longer play-time runs. The heated grip feature, while not used very much here in the southwest Arizona area, is a blessing when the temps dip during my outings. The wazoo adjustable suspension, NEVER touched any of the adjustments since I bought the bike, about a year ago or so.

But, I don't scrutinize every facet of how the bike operates or rides, on every inch of terrain I cover. I simply ride. The bike works just great, as it was set, when I picked up at the dealer. But, others will use every tiny bit of adjustment they can, to suit their needs. The added suspension ride height, well, that for me, is really here nor there. The higher saddle height is more of a detriment to me due to the whole bike is top heavy, especially with that 6.5 gallons of fuel way up top. But, I knew that going into the deal.

So, like stated, you have to weigh the benefits/options/adjustments and just how much adjustment/use of said benefits YOU'LL use, vs the additional cost. I think if I were to ever do it again, I myself would go down to the basic level and just get the DCT. The engine is the exact same on all levels.
Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
For me my decision to go with the Adventure Sports with ES model was:
I wanted the larger gas tank.
I wanted tubeless tires
I had ES on my previous Triumph and used it all the time, so desired it.
Came with rear rack and luggage mounts which I had to have anyway.
Came with larger hand guards which I would have gotten either OEM or aftermarket anyway.
Came with heated grips which I would have gotten either OEM or aftermarket anyway.

Other stuff which the stock model may have too:
Cruise control> I very much wanted
CarPlay/Android Auto, couldn't care less, but will likely use sometime down the road.

More, but after 10K miles, I would not go back to the 1000 or the standard model, but as in a previous comment, that's based on how I run the bike.
I'd make the move to the 1100 based on the engine alone.

The interface is horrid, stupid really, but I've gotten used to it, I griped more on that in another post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a test ride on the 1100L and liked it. There was buffering from the short screen so I would buy the larger screen and heated grips etc, but I have noticed a couple good deals on adventure sports and wonder if the electric suspension is much better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also do not like the interface but I will have to look beyond that. Road testing the AS and the L back to back is key. Coming from a GS and getting a slightly bike was my plan but extra gadgets are always tempting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wanted everything but the electronic suspension but it's pretty nice to have the easy damping adjustment, especially on a bike that will see varying surfaces and loads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the cheaper one too, dealer had a great deal for the 2020 model, got it for 13k ended up paying 15k dollars out the door, but now I'm kind of regretting not paying extra for the adv touring model, the bigger gas tank and electronic suspension and the tubeless wheels kind of are a big upgrade. Idk, maybe I'll just trade this one in and get the 2022 model when they come out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My rational when choosing was: i need a slimmer bike for my city commuting, basic has all the main extras i need, don't change my suspension set up as is set up for my weight.
i end up with the base model if fitted my needs more than the AS, because in the end the price difference is around 2K, and financing it it's marginal.
if you plan on bigger trips go AS for sure, 15ish litter tank with a more spiritual throttle will go fast =)

sorry for not helping as you wanted, test ride both and see what suits you best!

·
Registered
2020 CRF1100L/DCT
46 Posts
I have seen a few YouTube reviews complaining that the suspension is to soft on the 1100 AT, not sure about the AS.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am just over 6' with the windshield on the lowest setting it is quite and calm, if I move it up a notch or two it creates some buffeting and noise. 2020 ATAS
I am the same height and have noted the same but didn't get a chance to ride with the fork deflector yet to see how much that draft contributes to the bobbling.
I may also look for the shorter OEM screen off a '22 to compare. I'd rather have the shorter screen and be able to raise it if needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am the same height and have noted the same but didn't get a chance to ride with the fork deflector yet to see how much that draft contributes to the bobbling.
I may also look for the shorter OEM screen off a '22 to compare. I'd rather have the shorter screen and be able to raise it if needed.
yah I was thinking to just buy another OEM screen and cut it down and give that a try just for sh%ts and giggles

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am just over 6' with the windshield on the lowest setting it is quite and calm, if I move it up a notch or two it creates some buffeting and noise. 2020 ATAS
Im just over 6' but have long body and shorter legs found the standard screen on the ATAS no matter what position didn't help, swapped out to WRS HO024F screen and made a world of difference, can ride and 70+ MPH with visor full open.

I chose the adventure sport over the base model as there was very small difference in the monthly cost over the two when financing on PCP. I also go out with the wife every now and then so having a button to change the suspension for two up riding was a bonus. Heated grips are a must in the UK too as I like to ride all seasons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im just over 6' but have long body and shorter legs found the standard screen on the ATAS no matter what position didn't help, swapped out to WRS HO024F screen and made a world of difference, can ride and 70+ MPH with visor full open.

I chose the adventure sport over the base model as there was very small difference in the monthly cost over the two when financing on PCP. I also go out with the wife every now and then so having a button to change the suspension for two up riding was a bonus. Heated grips are a must in the UK too as I like to ride all seasons.
What is WRS HO024F screen ???

·
Registered
CRF1100 DCT
201 Posts
I have not managed to get a test ride on an AS but is the taller screen quieter than the shorter.
I just fitted the tall screen option to my standard AT and it has made a big difference to the noise and I can have the visor open at 70+mph. I have not put the peak back on my skid lid yet so not sure if it does away with the peak buffeting yet.

Pic below of standard screen then an Ermax Sport screen and finally the oem tall screen.

Wood Fawn Snout Plastic Plaster

Pic of the difference in height on the bike of standard to tall
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper

And Ermax to tall.

Wood Vehicle Vehicle door Motor vehicle Tints and shades

1 - 20 of 22 Posts