Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is coming in a few weeks so I'm trying to plan out how I should hook up accessories. I'd rather not opt in for a $250 OEM 12V socket option but I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherproo...777477?hash=item461a0d1c05:g:-aQAAOxyVaBS6rv8 which i think should do the trick although I'm not exactly sure what the diameter of the socket hole is 1 1/8" like the one needs in the link.

I really need to hook up my phone (usb micro) and maybe an aux like my UERoll speaker which can be accommodated easily by buying a dual usb car adapter. I would also want to attach my battery tender which has an SAE only connector but I found SAE to male cigarette adapters for pretty cheap so I'm guessing as long as it's not bad to hook up the tender through the accessory socket with a 15amp inline fuse I should be fine.

I may go for Oxford heated grips later in the fall which I assume should be hooked up to a switched power circuit. Fog lights may also be something I'd want but not on the outset.

How do you guys recommend I best hook up my 12V socket adapter? Should I try to find an adapter to the proprietary 4-pin harness and solder it up or can I find an easier switched circuit post somewhere or should I just go straight to the battery? I'm a bit worried about going straight to the battery in case I accidentally leave the car charger in and find I can't start the bike (which I've done!) or even more unlikely but still a possibility - someone could forcibly drain my battery on me (I live in a big city).

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are a couple of good threads on this already here and here.

As for the SAE connector, why not just hook it directly to your battery with an inline fuse? You can get a waterproof cover for it and just tuck it under the frame. That is what I do - works fine.

edit - Just re-read your comment and realized I missed your statement about the SAE connector. Still, you could simply remove the fuse when you needed to if you are really worried about it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am due to collect my AT on Friday. I had originally asked that the dealer fit the Honda accessory socket and main stand. Having had a bit of a google around I note that the official socket has a 7.5 amp fuse holder that ends up buried deep inside the bike behind the instrument binnacle. In my humble opinion this is not fit for purpose and should the fuse blow it would necessitate the complete front end strip down, again, just to change a fuse. Therefore I am going to cancel the socket and look to add my own one taking the feed from the PC-8 that I have on order. I am not so keen on a potentially ham fisted 'technician' fumbling around with so much and perhaps not taking as much care and attention as I would if doing the job and it being hidden away where I cannot check it ou. I am happy to leave the centre stand to them as I don't want to end up fighting with the springs and pulling the bike over on top of me. My wife moans that I can never buy anything that is right. To be honest I know I am a bit anal but having seen the quality of previous accessory fits I would rather trust myself to do jobs that I am capable of.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am due to collect my AT on Friday. I had originally asked that the dealer fit the Honda accessory socket and main stand. Having had a bit of a google around I note that the official socket has a 7.5 amp fuse holder that ends up buried deep inside the bike behind the instrument binnacle. In my humble opinion this is not fit for purpose and should the fuse blow it would necessitate the complete front end strip down, again, just to change a fuse.
I had the same concern. I have Hepco Becker crash bars on my bike that need to be lowered when I remove the cowl, adding even more difficulty to the procedure. I made my own harness and extended the wire for the inline fuse so that I could bring it inside the cowl for easy access.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
My bike is coming in a few weeks so I'm trying to plan out how I should hook up accessories. I'd rather not opt in for a $250 OEM 12V socket option but I found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherproo...777477?hash=item461a0d1c05:g:-aQAAOxyVaBS6rv8 which i think should do the trick although I'm not exactly sure what the diameter of the socket hole is 1 1/8" like the one needs in the link.

I really need to hook up my phone (usb micro) and maybe an aux like my UERoll speaker which can be accommodated easily by buying a dual usb car adapter. I would also want to attach my battery tender which has an SAE only connector but I found SAE to male cigarette adapters for pretty cheap so I'm guessing as long as it's not bad to hook up the tender through the accessory socket with a 15amp inline fuse I should be fine.

I may go for Oxford heated grips later in the fall which I assume should be hooked up to a switched power circuit. Fog lights may also be something I'd want but not on the outset.

How do you guys recommend I best hook up my 12V socket adapter? Should I try to find an adapter to the proprietary 4-pin harness and solder it up or can I find an easier switched circuit post somewhere or should I just go straight to the battery? I'm a bit worried about going straight to the battery in case I accidentally leave the car charger in and find I can't start the bike (which I've done!) or even more unlikely but still a possibility - someone could forcibly drain my battery on me (I live in a big city).

ADV Motorad has the 4 and 6-pin OEM connectors for tying into your OP accessory circuit. I have Oxford Sport grips (love them) and they recommend feeding them directly from the battery. Their controller senses voltage drop when the ignition if off, so no worry about draining the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, sorry I was traveling and just got back. I did read those other threads and what I got from them was that I can find connectors to the accessory proprietary socket in the fairing but I'm worried about leaving my inline fuse inaccessible in case it blows. Given that the Oxford grips can be run off the battery I think I will just wire up a marine 12V marine socket to the battery directly as well. Hopefully the inline fuse will be positioned in a more easily accessible location than in the front fairing should I need to replace the fuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts