Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
367 Posts
Looks good!!! How many miles are you getting off of those TKC 80's, the front tread wear looks pretty wonky. Do you like them for your type of riding? I know talking about tires is like talking about oil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good!!! How many miles are you getting off of those TKC 80's, the front tread wear looks pretty wonky. Do you like them for your type of riding? I know talking about tires is like talking about oil.
If I do a lot of highway, I only get 2500, 3000 miles out of a rear TKC 80. It's time for new tires and I'm ready to try something different. I do like how they hook up off road. I'm considering the E07+ we'll see. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
367 Posts
Yeah I have been off the bike since June due to an operational error... 😬. I unfortunately do a lot of highway Km's but I always buy a more dirt orientated tire because for the time I am off-road, I want the tires to hook up well. Thanks for making content, I have subscribed and am looking out for more!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
If I do a lot of highway, I only get 2500, 3000 miles out of a rear TKC 80. It's time for new tires and I'm ready to try something different. I do like how they hook up off road. I'm considering the E07+ we'll see. Thanks for watching.
Well, if you're ready to try something new, If I may, I can suggest the Dunlop Trail Mission Max. Double Thumper and I just mounted a set on our bikes, right after we'd both done the tube to tubeless conversions. I myself have not played off road with the new skins yet but, I'm suspecting that, they're gonna be SERIOUSLY better than the original factory 90/10 stuff that was on my bike from new. There are some pretty extensive reports on these tires as well as at least one video from a factory rep on them. So far, I like'm alot. They're touted as being longer range tread life too. Something to think about.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, if you're ready to try something new, If I may, I can suggest the Dunlop Trail Mission Max. Double Thumper and I just mounted a set on our bikes, right after we'd both done the tube to tubeless conversions. I myself have not played off road with the new skins yet but, I'm suspecting that, they're gonna be SERIOUSLY better than the original factory 90/10 stuff that was on my bike from new. There are some pretty extensive reports on these tires as well as at least one video from a factory rep on them. So far, I like'm alot. They're touted as being longer range tread life too. Something to think about.
Scott
They look nice... may have to give them a try.... do they hold corners well on the road? How about noise?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Hey DansAdv,
Well, I've only had them on there now for about 200+ miles or so. The previous factory tires were 90/10 tires and as such, were for the most part, completely silent as I'd ride on flawless pavement. But these new Dunlops, touted as 50/50 tires, and the insanely deep new tread design, do exhibit a very, very slight noise factor, again, on flawless pavement. Once I hit anything less than glass smooth pavement, for the most part, any noise of those is gone. I haven't hit any dirt yet. All of the mileage is street mileage right now. As for them being Sticky, well, they're brand new and for the most part, soft because of the newness.

A good friend of mine who's been riding as long as I have, (decades and decades) told me about "breaking in" a new tire quite some time ago. I have/had never heard of such a thing. For my whole motorcycling life, I'd simply installed new tires and took off like a banshee. Well, supposedly, there's a time frame for braking in brand new motorcycle tires. It's around 100 miles or so. It supposedly allows the tires to weep out any oils etc. that are used in the manufacturing process. I'm just repeating stuff here. I'm not making it up.

So, with that, I kind-a haven't pushed any cornering limits on them yet. I've ridden like normal but, ho hot rodding in any corners, not that do that anyways. The A/T is not a road racer, not even close. But, with all this crap being said, yes, they handle just great for a 50/50 set of tires.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
... time frame for braking in brand new motorcycle tires. It's around 100 miles or so. It supposedly allows the tires to weep out any oils etc. that are used in the manufacturing process. I'm just repeating stuff here. I'm not making it up. ...
lol - I recently had a tire on another bike that was weeping out oil after 14000 kms!

At least the tire was not cracking anywhere, but the rubber was getting a bit harder.

·
Registered
681 Posts
A good friend of mine who's been riding as long as I have, (decades and decades) told me about "breaking in" a new tire quite some time ago. I have/had never heard of such a thing. For my whole motorcycling life, I'd simply installed new tires and took off like a banshee. Well, supposedly, there's a time frame for braking in brand new motorcycle tires. It's around 100 miles or so.
[/QUOTE/]
When I first started riding about 50 years ago it was a matter of buy the tire, put it on the rim and ride. Almost no one warned new tires were slippery for the first miles. In the 1980s I would be advised to take it easy for the first 100-300 miles depending on the tire and manufacturer. That distance was recommended for scrubbing off the tire release compound still on the tires from the mold used to make the tire. In very recent years the manufacturing process has changed again with two new processes. One eliminates the need for the need for a release compound and reduces the scrub in time. Another introduces a thin surface layer with high traction capabilities to eliminate the need for scrubbing in. Considering all the tire technology changes over the decades, it is surprising we didn't crash more than we did.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I just wonder,
A few years ago, we were traveling around the U.S. in our RV and carrying our '08 Honda Golwing with us at the time. About 1/ 2 through the trip, I noticed I needed a front tire, RIGHT NOW! We were camped at an RV park in Gettysburg at that time. I found a small shop that specialized in Goldwings, about 20 miles from our area. He had tires and, could squeeze me in. The road to his place was quite fun and windy. Upon arrival there, he jumped right on my bike and zoomed it into the shop. He completed a front tire change in about 45 minutes to an hour or so.

He took the bike for a test ride and was back in about 5 minutes. I paid the bill and thanked him and his crew for fast and efficient service. I told him where we were camped and he knew it, and the road well. He gave me no specific warning(s) about any form of breaking in of the new front tire. And as stated, that road has lots of twisties in it. While I didn't Road race on the way back to camp, I was having fun. At that time, I was not aware of any break in of any new tires. Now, what I'm wondering about is, if a tire at a shop is brand new on the shelf, and I buy it today, but, it has a manufacture date of say, 6-8 months earlier than today, would any off gassing or, mold release agents be still present and, therefore, should caution be taken when riding the first 100-200 miles or so?
Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Scott
Hello.

Can you please tell me how you did the tube-to-tubeless conversions and did you do it on the front wheel as well?
Did you have any problems especially riding off-road?
Thank you so much

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Dago04,
I could explain the process but, if you'd like, cruise on over to this thread that I did and the whole process will be explained.

Tubeless conversion, it has begun! | Honda Africa Twin Forum

And, like stated earlier, I've not had a chance to run these new tires or, the tubeless converted wheels, off road yet to see if any issues develop. I personally am quite confident that none will arise. After all, the factories have been using tubeless spoked wheels for quite some time. Yes, they are of a different design but, it's a wheel, with spokes in it. We (many of us on here and Youtube etc.) have done this conversion and, I don't know or have read of any issues as of yet. Every once in a while, someone might report a leak, maybe at a spoke head but, it's not widespread for sure. If it was, I doubt many of us would have proceeded with the change-over. Double Thumper chose to go the Outex kit route and, so far, based on his reports, he's totally happy with that process and the results.

I went with the 3M system and, like DT, I'm also darned happy with mine. It's been around 3+ weeks so far and I've not lost 1 pound of air pressure on either wheel/tire, other than temp changes on the road or in my garage.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,259 Posts
Hello.

Can you please tell me how you did the tube-to-tubeless conversions and did you do it on the front wheel as well?
Did you have any problems especially riding off-road?
Thank you so much
A big welcome to the Forum @Dago04.

What @FIRE UP said. :)

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dago04,
I could explain the process but, if you'd like, cruise on over to this thread that I did and the whole process will be explained.

Tubeless conversion, it has begun! | Honda Africa Twin Forum

And, like stated earlier, I've not had a chance to run these new tires or, the tubeless converted wheels, off road yet to see if any issues develop. I personally am quite confident that none will arise. After all, the factories have been using tubeless spoked wheels for quite some time. Yes, they are of a different design but, it's a wheel, with spokes in it. We (many of us on here and Youtube etc.) have done this conversion and, I don't know or have read of any issues as of yet. Every once in a while, someone might report a leak, maybe at a spoke head but, it's not widespread for sure. If it was, I doubt many of us would have proceeded with the change-over. Double Thumper chose to go the Outex kit route and, so far, based on his reports, he's totally happy with that process and the results.

I went with the 3M system and, like DT, I'm also darned happy with mine. It's been around 3+ weeks so far and I've not lost 1 pound of air pressure on either wheel/tire, other than temp changes on the road or in my garage.
Scott
Thank you so much for the information. Truly appreciate it. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

1 - 15 of 15 Posts