Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped to a 15-tooth front sprocket. The bike is a little more eager in the first few gears, should be great for offroad. One question...when I installed the new sprocket, there was just the slightest bit of play on the countershaft, even with the bolt torqued to spec. I put the OEM sprocket on to doublecheck, and it was the same, so I'm assuming that's normal. Per the shop manual, there's no wave spring or additional washer that would completely eliminate it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case...SC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've changed sprockets on my 2016 AT manual found no up and down movement

The sprocket doesn't move up and down, it's just that the bolt doesn't tighten it up all the way. It will still wiggle slightly fore and aft along the countershaft. With the chain reinstalled and tensioned, it was gone. This was the same with both the JT and OEM sprocket...SC

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sprocket doesn't move up and down, it's just that the bolt doesn't tighten it up all the way. It will still wiggle slightly fore and aft along the countershaft. With the chain reinstalled and tensioned, it was gone. This was the same with both the JT and OEM sprocket...SC

UPDATE... I spoke with the head mechanic at my local dealer and a friend who desert races professionally, and learned that a tiny bit of play in the front sprocket is both normal and desirable. It helps with chain alignment and with preventing any binding in the driveline...SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with changing sprocket sizes on a DCT? I would like to slow first gear down a bit. I'm curious if it would affect shift points, ABS or traction control.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 AT DCT and have found the DCT to struggle a bit with finding the right gear (ie. 6th gear at 30-35mph). Even with playing with the various drive modes. Seems hard to find the right setting. Has anyone else had this same experience? Normal or possible issue? I've also found my range to be significantly less than stated expectations. Supposedly, the bike was just serviced so I would not think the air filter would be need to be cleaned or changed at this point. The bike only had 1885 miles at time of purchase just over a month ago. Now has just over 3,000. Any feedback is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts