Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my AT home yesterday and couldn't stop myself from modding it. After looking everywhere for a kit or at least a DIY for a high front fender with no success, I decided to do something anyway. As my first mod on this bike, I had an unused front fender from a previous bike laying around my storage closet and decided to test fit it this morning. I am using 2" pipe U-bolts wrapped around the bottom triple clamp. The brake hose can be safely pulled and set to the left or right of the fender. After 100 miles today, the fender is holding solidly, does not interfere with full motion of steering and I don't notice any difference riding it in highway winds. I liked the look a lot! Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I never liked to see two fenders on a bike it looks stupid sorry , have one or the other but why the H..l both ?
But then again its your bike so do whatever you want with it and be happy .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This was first attempt for testing, with the idea of eventually removing the bottom. After watching some off-road video I feel that the front suspension travel will cause the bottom to slam against the high fender.

·
Registered
384 Posts
This was first attempt for testing, with the idea of eventually removing the bottom. After watching some off-road video I feel that the front suspension travel will cause the bottom to slam against the high fender.
I think thats an absolute certain outcome as the stock guard only just misses the stock Honda crash bar(25mm) there is no show those two are going to run together and you have built a huge amount of instability at speed with that big lever out in the air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have Outback-Motortek crash bars and skid plate on the way and I will not be going off-road until they are on. Instability with this fender is not noticeable for me at any speed, maybe it's the years of training with previous adventure bikes like the klr 650.

Found this video on the high fender subject
https://youtu.be/PgRKRf58m5g

·
Registered
329 Posts
Let me know what you think.
I like it! Personally I am a bit scared that mine is going to depart the bike in Mississippi next week.

Can we have a shot of the mounting?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Better to raise the front fender I think. I find it hard to believe that this kit is $48 US!! I will be making a few and maybe will post for sale.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Better to raise the front fender I think. I find it hard to believe that this kit is $48 US!! I will be making a few and maybe will post for sale.
looks like I could make them in 15 -30 minutes with my drill press and mig welder LOL.
when I was looking at the bike yesterday on the floor it looked like if I put aggressive off road tire on it will hook the rear of the fender for sure.
My dealer has the sw mo-tech stuff coming skid plate, crash guards , got givi pannier rack & set of bark busters.
everything is on back order in the USA :mad:.
the panniers are in stock, but sw mo-tech parts they say 2-3 weeks from twisted throttle. bark busters no dates at all.:mad: .
has anyone seen anything in the states for hand protection that will fit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey frostbitevinnie - Jonathan from Rugged Roads here :grin2:

Just want to make sure people are getting the correct info here - The UK price is £24.95, which includes VAT. For any orders outside of the EU, there is no VAT to pay, which drops the price down to £20.79 - which currently converts into a smidge under $28 US :wink2:

I think they are are are great value (yeah I know I'm biased) - everything is marine grade 316 stainless steel, including the threaded nut-serts, all supplied fixings, and even the welding wire is 316 - and there's a few processes that might not seem obvious to get to the finished item you see....... :laugh:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Jonathan and I appreciate your product and input. I'm a machinists, I run a large 5 axis CNC, and have access to lots of fine materials. I was thinking of making these out of 1 piece 316 or 308 SS, instead of welding threaded bungs on. We have a lot of small drops of this material so why not use it?

I think EVERYONE should buy your product! Out of curiosity what would shipping be to the US, Minnesota in particular?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey frostbitevinnie - Jonathan from Rugged Roads here :grin2:

Just want to make sure people are getting the correct info here - The UK price is £24.95, which includes VAT. For any orders outside of the EU, there is no VAT to pay, which drops the price down to £20.79 - which currently converts into a smidge under $28 US :wink2:

I think they are are are great value (yeah I know I'm biased) - everything is marine grade 316 stainless steel, including the threaded nut-serts, all supplied fixings, and even the welding wire is 316 - and there's a few processes that might not seem obvious to get to the finished item you see....... :laugh:
E-mailed the US distribution 2 weeks a go to enquire about shipping option to Canada and never heard from him. Can you ship to Canada?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Jonathan and I appreciate your product and input. I'm a machinists, I run a large 5 axis CNC, and have access to lots of fine materials. I was thinking of making these out of 1 piece 316 or 308 SS, instead of welding threaded bungs on. We have a lot of small drops of this material so why not use it?

I think EVERYONE should buy your product! Out of curiosity what would shipping be to the US, Minnesota in particular?
Shipping this item to the USA would be around $10.00 :)

E-mailed the US distribution 2 weeks a go to enquire about shipping option to Canada and never heard from him. Can you ship to Canada?
Yes - we ship globally :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Until I figure out what to do about the right side brake hose which goes over the wheel and mounting fork guards, I have a set of brackets incoming from Rugged Roads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I decided I would commit to the high fender conversion and modify the lower fender as fork guards. For good measure, the next step was getting an extended DOT approved rubber brake hose to go over the high fender since the stock over the wheel brake hose could rub on the tire. Next, I will install seal savers and brake hose brackets.

GalferUSA has stainless steel brake hoses developed for the AT and I'm in contact with them to work out custom stainless brake hoses.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Made the order 9/2 for the fender riser through Rugged Roads, ended up being 46.41$ including shipping. After checking with tracking numbers, its in Chicago sitting there for the past 3 days, so if your looking for the fender riser, be prepared for a couple week shipping from UK. Ill post pics when receive/install.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts