Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need a bigger wind screen due to buffeting from the side and top of helmet. I'm 6'2". What do you like if you have this bike?
If a tank bag is used, is a Swegotech shield needed? Looks like the bag might block the air coming up.:nerd:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm 6’-3’’ and 200lbs. 33-34 inseam. I can comfortably but just flat-foot both feet with the seat in the high position.

Wind buffeting with taller riders is a common problem even on the ATAS with its taller OEM screen.

I found the solution for me: The Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen (D1144ST).

I replaced the OEM screen just 4 days after purchasing my ATAS. (I found out real fast, on day two, my first time out on the highway, that I simply could not tolerate the buffeting *and buzzing* caused by the OEM screen).

The Givi screen, for me, is, in a word: Perfect.

The only update I have to my review post on this windscreen (link below) and the many other glowing things I’ve said about it in other posts is that I have now gone for a 260-mile day trip, up and back for a total of 520 miles and 8 hrs. in one day, with a couple hours of off-roading in between, and it was pure bliss. Temp was in the mid-60s on the way down, upper 50s back, but it was sunny, and I was wearing my Bell Custom 500 open-face helmet with the retro snap-on visor. Rode Interstate 81 down to just beyond Blacksburg at speeds between 75 – 80MPH the whole way, with my brother and cousin. We then spent a few hours off-roading on my uncle’s farm and back home in the afternoon (but that’s for another post—This Bike! …This Bike! …This Bike)!

The ride down was so comfortable, relaxing even. With the beautiful mountains on either side, running down the Shenandoah Valley, it was heavenly. The bike was comfortable in every way. The 20mm risers did their job too and my hands and arms had no complaints. Purring along at 75 MPH, the bike seemed in its element—seemed like it was made for the highway; it felt big and capable. But wait! On the dirt, it seemed like it was in its element! It felt lighter and it downright frothed in its dirt DNA. Man, I love this bike.

I hope you get your buffeting issue sorted. For me, it was literally NIGHT and DAY with the Givi. The bike is a joy to ride at speed. But others have had success with other solutions. Your helmet is a factor too… but I figure if it works with an open-faced helmet with a snap on visor, it will work even better with a proper full-faced or modular, unless it’s got one of those large peak visors.

And I have to get my modular helmet soon. Too cold for open-face now. But like everything else when purchasing accessories, the sheer volume of options is so dạmned overwhelming.

Good luck man.

Here’s the review post I did a couple of months ago if you're interested. And if you search the Parts and Accessories sub-forum there are more threads on this subject.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...givi-sport-touring-screen-d1144st-review.html

Ps. Note: The daytrip was done without my Touratech Panniers attached, for what it’s worth. Because I was going to do my first fairly serious off-roading, I didn’t want to chance dinging up my pretty, new panniers(!), so I strapped an old Barbour messenger bag to either side of the Touratech frame with a few items for the day wrapped in old towels (to give the bags some heft and cushioning in a fall or tip-over). Worked like a charm. Here’s a pic of the bike the night before we left.
(And to keep it on subject, you also get a pretty good view of the curvature of the Givi windscreen from this angle too). :wink2:

Correction: My brother informs me I'm exaggerating our avg. speeds. I did plenty of 75 MPH to 80 MPH (and faster) jaunts but slowed a lot to let them catch up--my brother was riding his '86 BMW R80 G/S. He says we avg. probably around 65 MPH, which makes sense. But if you've ever been on I-81 in VA, it's pretty much flat and straight and wide the whole way, 75 MPH is barely keeping up with traffic. But the bike felt pretty much the same to me whether I was doing 65 MPH or 80 MPH. But to be fair, riding at 65 MPH is almost always going to be a bit more relaxed than riding at 75 or 80 MPH for long stretches. But the point is the bike and windscreen preformed wonderfully on that long straight stretch of highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary thanks for your post. That was what I was looking for. I look forward to riding with you one day.
I did a ghetto mod , rolled hand towel zip tied , covering some of the fork opening against the tank. That helped a bit on my trip I posted under 'How many miles in a day' thread. I will try the Givi as it seems to cover the areas of high wind I found with my hands while at speed.
I wear the Scorpion EXO950 without the beak. The buffering caused no problems but I knew it could be better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 6’-3’’ and 200lbs. 33-34 inseam. I can comfortably but just flat-foot both feet with the seat in the high position.

Wind buffeting with taller riders is a common problem even on the ATAS with its taller OEM screen.

I found the solution for me: The Givi Tall Sport Touring Windscreen (D1144ST).

I replaced the OEM screen just 4 days after purchasing my ATAS. (I found out real fast, on day two, my first time out on the highway, that I simply could not tolerate the buffeting *and buzzing* caused by the OEM screen).

The Givi screen, for me, is, in a word: Perfect.

The only update I have to my review post on this windscreen (link below) and the many other glowing things I’ve said about it in other posts is that I have now gone for a 260-mile day trip, up and back for a total of 520 miles and 8 hrs. in one day, with a couple hours of off-roading in between, and it was pure bliss. Temp was in the mid-60s on the way down, upper 50s back, but it was sunny, and I was wearing my Bell Custom 500 open-face helmet with the retro snap-on visor. Rode Interstate 81 down to just beyond Blacksburg at speeds between 75 – 80MPH the whole way, with my brother and cousin. We then spent a few hours off-roading on my uncle’s farm and back home in the afternoon (but that’s for another post—This Bike! …This Bike! …This Bike)!

The ride down was so comfortable, relaxing even. With the beautiful mountains on either side, running down the Shenandoah Valley, it was pure bliss. The bike was comfortable in every way. The 20mm risers did their job too and my hands and arms had no complaints. Purring along at 75 MPH, the bike seemed in its element—seemed like it was made for the highway; it felt big and capable. But wait! On the dirt, it seemed like it was in its element! It felt lighter and it downright frothed in its dirt DNA. Man, I love this bike.

I hope you get your buffeting issue sorted. For me, it was literally NIGHT and DAY with the Givi. The bike is a joy to ride at speed. But others have had success with other solutions. Your helmet is a factor too… but I figure if it works with an open-faced helmet with a snap on visor, it will work even better with a proper full-faced or modular, unless it’s got one of those large peak visors.

And I have to get my modular helmet soon. Too cold for open-face now. But like everything else when purchasing accessories, the sheer volume of options is so dạmned overwhelming.

Good luck man.

Here’s the review post I did a couple of months ago if you're interested. And if you search the Parts and Accessories sub-forum there are more threads on this subject.

https://www.africatwinforum.com/for...givi-sport-touring-screen-d1144st-review.html

Ps. Note: The daytrip was done without my Touratech Panniers attached, for what it’s worth. Because I was going to do my first fairly serious off-roading, I didn’t want to chance dinging up my pretty, new panniers(!), so I strapped an old Barbour messenger bag to either side of the Touratech frame with a few items for the day wrapped in old towels (to give the bags some heft and cushioning in a fall or tip-over). Worked like a charm. Here’s a pic of the bike the night before we left.
(And to keep it on subject, you also get a pretty good view of the curvature of the Givi windscreen from this angle too). :wink2:

Where did you happen purchase your Givi from? Ever since your first post on here about it I've been looking to purchase one and it seems as if everyone is out of stock. Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got mine from RevZilla - I guess I got lucky - last one in stock. I know this for a fact because mine arrived with a tiny little 1 cm scratch under the peel-off sticker, nearly unnoticeable and off to the side. But I'm so anal, I contacted RevZilla for an exchange and was told they had no more and had no idea when they might get another. So they gave me 25% off - store credit - for a grand total of $81, shipped. List price was $108 - which is still a killer deal considering many clamp-on screens cost more. And kudos to RevZilla for not only the discount and customer service but even with free shipping the screen arrived overnight!

But I've noticed too... whenever I go and look now, they're out of stock everywhere.

I can't imagine they've stopped making them. Someone put a *great deal* of thought and effort into its design--bespoke to a tee for the 2018 ATAS: they way it fits so snuggly, perfectly into the fairing, they way it sits on the bike, *the way it manages air flow*. They're probably just behind on manufacturing.

Good luck, man.

Reactions: Motorwerx

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gary,
OOOOOOOPS. I saw the 1144 numbers and made an assumption it was the AirFlow. I have no experience with the ST shield, so my comments may not be so accurate.
Thanks for the heads up. I will pay more attention before commenting in the future!
We all know what assuming and going off half cocked does........... :-((
At least the price on the ST shield is really cheap at motostorm!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I endorse what has been said about the Givi screen, its great. I am 6 foot five, seat in high position ATAS. I found the wind roar / buffeting dreadful at first. I have got it sorted by a combination of things, the biggest effect first
Taking the peak off my helmet.
Fork air dam / Givi screen, about the same
Honda Plastic fairing wings
Honda rubber fairing deflectors

I also tried Batzen screen riser. Well made and did the job but I had to have it on highest setting and was not rigid enough for my liking

·
Registered
154 Posts
BigKev,
I am very curious about the Honda plastic wings and the rubber deflectors.
Do you think they are a pretty good improvement?
I don't have buffeting with the Madstad setup, but I can feel air coming around the fairing where the wings and deflectors go.
Thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think the wings and deflectors have a small effect with the standard screen. If your screen is wider than the standard screen then the effect is likely to be less.

if you look at them its hard to imagine that they can make a big difference to air flow

The Givi screen is taller and wider and dosnt have the square hole that the OEM has - it thus makes a noticeable difference

Its really odd but I am also now riding a CRF250L rally that has a small screen - smoothest air flow ever !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts