Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just lacing it up today. But... I won't be able to test it out until I get my forks and shock back from Cogent Dynamics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey, somebody tried to send me a PM through Tapatalk but I can't respond to it. Tapatalk won't run on my desktop.
If you have a question post it here in the thread.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sticking with the stock rear - at least for now. I don't see any reason to change it yet.

Years ago, I would often change KTM990 rears from 18 to 17 because there were so many more tire choices available. These days there are plenty of wide 18s to choose from.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm sticking with the stock rear - at least for now. I don't see any reason to change it yet.

Years ago, I would often change KTM990 rears from 18 to 17 because there were so many more tire choices available. These days there are plenty of wide 18s to choose from.
You dont think the electronics will have any problem with the different wheel speeds being input into the ECU with a 18/19 combo?
Is the 19 front the same width as the stock rim ?
What tire size (and Brand)are you looking at putting on ?
I was thinking of trying a set of 17/19 rims with street tires but if your config works fine I might stick with the 18 rear.
Will be very interested in the outcome when you have the suspenders back. Currently I swapp between the Motoz Adventure for dirt and the Pirelli Trail2s for street but the 21 front is still a bit loose when you are fully cranked over, would be nice to get a bit more bite there. The pegs scrape a lot now would be interested if the 19 makes that bad or really bad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey SkipD. I think the electronics will still work fine with the diameter difference. The only way to know is to build the wheel and go ride it. If the electronics do have a problem I will make a new front ABS reluctor ring with the appropriate number of slots in it to make up for the diameter difference.

The rim is a Sun 2.75 x 19 laced up with Buchanan's stainless steel spokes. I've mounted up a Motoz Adventure 110/80-19.

Edit: You don't lose any cornering clearance because the 110/80 tire is a lot wider so it holds the bike higher when leaned way over. It might even gain a little bit.
Also, even though the rim diameter is a 2" difference the overall diameter of the 19" tire is only 1" smaller than a 21.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey SkipD. I think the electronics will still work fine with the diameter difference. The only way to know is to build the wheel and go ride it. If the electronics do have a problem I will make a new front ABS reluctor ring with the appropriate number of slots in it to make up for the diameter difference.

The rim is a Sun 2.75 x 19 laced up with Buchanan's stainless steel spokes. I've mounted up a Motoz Adventure 110/80-19.

Edit: You don't lose any cornering clearance because the 110/80 tire is a lot wider so it holds the bike higher when leaned way over. It might even gain a little bit.
Also, even though the rim diameter is a 2" difference the overall diameter of the 19" tire is only 1" smaller than a 21.

OK I like your thinking.
The Motoz is quite wide at the outer knobs have you tried it for clearance on the front guard or have you gone for the high front guard.
I was thinking of a fat street tire for the 19 and keeping the 21 setup for offroad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I like your thinking.
The Motoz is quite wide at the outer knobs have you tried it for clearance on the front guard or have you gone for the high front guard.
I was thinking of a fat street tire for the 19 and keeping the 21 setup for offroad.
I haven't test fit it because my forks are still out to Cogent Dynamics but I did measure before getting started on the wheel project. I should have about 1/4" clearance on either side between the tire and inner surface of the fender.

I'd like to do a high fender set up but haven't done any research in that direction yet. Who has a kit? Is there a DIY setup?
I converted my KTM990 after watching a buddy tear the front fender and ABS sensor off of his in the mud :surprise:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I haven't test fit it because my forks are still out to Cogent Dynamics but I did measure before getting started on the wheel project. I should have about 1/4" clearance on either side between the tire and inner surface of the fender.

I'd like to do a high fender set up but haven't done any research in that direction yet. Who has a kit? Is there a DIY setup?
I converted my KTM990 after watching a buddy tear the front fender and ABS sensor off of his in the mud :surprise:
Camel ADV have tanks plus a high fender kit, they also do a right side peg support kit that I think is a must have.
https://camel-adv.com/

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm still waiting on upgraded suspension stuff - and I'm heading out of town until some time in March.
I won't have the news for a while but I PROMISE I will post a follow up here.

Forks and shock will probably arrive just after I leave... :-(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Dragging pegs has absolutely nothing to do with it. The benefit for me is getting much better feel and feedback from the tire along with more precise turn-in and mid-corner control.

I've done 19" front wheels on several of my past bikes. A couple of DR650s and KTM990 Adventure. In every case it was a vast improvement in my enjoyment of riding those bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Getting my spare wheels done with a 19” front in next few weeks, will report back. I’ve raced bikes for 10 years and done 300+ Trackdays, the AT is my only bike these days but I’ll still go to a few Trackdays to see mates so I’ll drop the 19” then with a slightly wider tyre, still won’t set the world alight but I’m sure it’ll be a good laugh and take a few sportsbike scalps ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey ProCycle. Thanks for blazing a trail! Do you have the spoke lengths you ordered from Buchannans? I'd love to grab a set from them and lace up my own rim. Would they have that data on hand?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have any spoke length info. I'm away from my shop until sometime in March.
Spoke length is dependent on the rim you are using. My spokes for a Sun rim would not be correct for an Excel or DID.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Getting my spare wheels done with a 19” front in next few weeks, will report back. I’ve raced bikes for 10 years and done 300+ Trackdays, the AT is my only bike these days but I’ll still go to a few Trackdays to see mates so I’ll drop the 19” then with a slightly wider tyre, still won’t set the world alight but I’m sure it’ll be a good laugh and take a few sportsbike scalps ?
Couchy have you had a chance to run the 19 yet, any issues with ABS or TC because of the smaller dia (I am thinking not because when they Dino them front wheel is fixed) What tire and rim size are you looking at.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Couchy have you had a chance to run the 19 yet, any issues with ABS or TC because of the smaller dia (I am thinking not because when they Dino them front wheel is fixed) What tire and rim size are you looking at.
Was running so good , than he disapper :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
CRF1000L | Gold Wing DCT
282 Posts
So, now that this thread has movement, it would be interesting to hear how the 19 inch front rim size worked out for the AT. The idea of a wider front tire, from 3.5 inches to 4.3 inches sounds interesting for off pavement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts