Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I do like the company and they need the publicity but it may shoot them in the @rse if they're going to exploit that it's perfect for the DCT.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just ridden the test bike from Rally Raid. Awesome handling on damp leafy roads. Did take it easy as not my bike.
Ordering the pair tomorrow. Bike is like night and day, rode mine when I got home and it is a mod that I'm desperate to make.

Could you elaborate how the feel changes on road, I don't have issues even pushing in twisties, but I always have this kind of autopilot feel and
don't know if it comes from the 21" or not, I never felt unsafe but I feel that the bike goes more where it wants, even if that's always right where
it should usually, than me being in total control of it

The bike off-road is easy enough to me, so wondering if this rim swap wouldn't be a good thing for on road.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The bike is beautiful on the road, just right for this motor. I have just put the standard wheels back on and it's plain horrible.
We thing we may have found the problem with the clacking of the drive in 5th and 6th. I have informed RR and they will investigate my findings. Very good company, I really like them. Will let you know of the outcome later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rugged roads Wheels

Whats the situation with the Rugged Roads smaller wheels ang DCT gearchange problems, iam still considering this option for lowering the bike and improving the handling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So far, I'm riding the DCT with 19 inch front with the standard rear. It rides nice even with odd tyres but 17 inch is still better.
On the RR rear, I am still waiting for them to get back to me. I can't say anymore just yet until they agree on the findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Waiting to hear how this set-up works on the DCT too. Tried them on the ATAS manual and liked it. But mine's a DCT and will wait to hear how everything comes together on that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Whats the situation with the Rugged Roads smaller wheels ang DCT gearchange problems, iam still considering this option for lowering the bike and improving the handling.
So far, I'm riding the DCT with 19 inch front with the standard rear. It rides nice even with odd tyres but 17 inch is still better.
On the RR rear, I am still waiting for them to get back to me. I can't say anymore just yet until they agree on the findings.
Yeah will be nice to know ....

·
Registered
73 Posts
What is the situation now with the 19/17 wheels on the DCT? Any further developments?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just ordered my RR 19" & 17" in gold today,i had had quite a few front end slides in the dry with the puny mountain bike 21" front and have no confidence in it at all plus they will really help with me being a shortarse and i am having the new conti trail attack 3,loved the 2's on my ktm 1190 so the smaller ,wider wheels and them tyres should give me the stability i am after.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was waiting for an answer , before buy it .
Did buy new standard 21-18 instead.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you change the rear wheel on a DCT bike and then have problems with the way the gear box shifts... this is very likely to be caused by the rear wheel speed sensor gap being incorrect. The tolerances are miniscule.. get it wrong and it upsets everything. The gap should be between 0.40mm and 1.06mm. so.. you are looking at a range of 0.66mm which is absolutely tiny.

How do i know this? I had this exact problem when I changed my wheels to kineo. The spacers that arrived with the wheels were exactly the same.. which was wrong. When the gap was measured it was found to be 0.20mm.

So, as a temporary fix a washer was added that had been ground down to 0.50mm and put on, this widened the gap between the sensor and the ring to 0.70 - within the range and shifting issues vanished.

Im now awaiting a new spacer to arrive and be fitted as well as a cash refund from kineo for the extra expenses of having the fault diagnosed and rectified.

The wrong gap effectively means the data coming from the sensor is garbage and the DCT box then behaves in very strange ways. most notably it 'judders' and also doesn't change gear either smoothly or at the correct speed. it may not go above a certain gear..

The sensor is not adjustable. it has been designed to work with the specific wheels supplied with the bike.. if another wheel is added and the tolerances are only slightly out. Problems ensue.
A 3rd party wheel maker might not realise this and who can blame them? its easily fixed though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Something new from the 19/17 conversion ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 2016 manual inspires confidence now with 19-17 Rally Raid tubeless combo, now on 2nd set of tyres since fitting the wheels, okay for easy laneing, no more white lining or overband problems until the tyres are nearly done, speedo accurate to within 2mph, no leaks and thankfully just the one puncture easily fixed with a plug kit. Can't comment on traction control as I switch it off every time I start the bike, ABS still works but doesn't seem as intrusive as it originally was, suits me to be honest.
Not a cheap option but has made a decent bike much more enjoyable and have to say I'm happy as a sand boy after the 7k miles I've covered with them fitted.
Run the Conti TA 2's at 36lbs front and 41lbs rear.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts