Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st Annual Africa Twin Motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally
About this Event
Xplor-Int LLC and the Oak Barrel Cafe are pleased to announce our 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally being held at 35206 National Pike Northeast Little Orleans, MD 21766 on August 14-16, 2020.
This event provides riders of all skill levels an opportunity to ride with and learn from adventurers from all over the world.
The 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally is designed for Honda ADVENTURE and DUAL SPORT owners but is open to all brands of street legal motorcycles.
Come join us at our 1st Annual Africa Twin motorcycle and Honda East Coast Rally, at The Oak Barrel Cafe, for numerous activities and riding opportunities.
ROUTES
Participants will have the opportunity to ride various tracks and routes throughout the Green Ridge State Forest, MD. There will be options for every level skill as routes will vary in difficulty and distance. Routes will be available onsite at the event and there will be an option for riders to go out on their own with fellow enthusiasts on self-guided GPS rides or just following the provided PDF State Forest map. Some route portions are part of the MABDR.
CAMPOUT
We’ve added two-night overnight camping to the rally at no cost. Friday night dinner, Saturday morning breakfast, Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast will be included at The Oak Barrel Cafe with a free gift card. Limited space available.
RIDER AND BIKE REGULATIONS
Riders must be 18 years or older..
Riders must be the registered owner of their motorcycle.
The motorcycle must be street legal and in good working order with proper street legal, off-road tires.
Riders must supply current, functioning GPS unit
Riders should supply their own personal locator beacon (SPOT, Delorme, Garmin)..
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
  • Three days off-road riding for all skill levels
  • Free primitive camping on site (water, electric, bathrooms available)
  • Campfire and local BandÂ
  • Free Training half day (3-4 hours)
  • Free T-shirt for pre-registered participants
  • 2 each Breakfast, 2 each Dinner, adult beverages not includedÂ
  • All adventure bikes welcome like Honda CB500X · NC750X · NC700X · VFR1200X· CRF450L

Share With Friends

Date And Time
Fri, Aug 14, 2020, 11:30 AM –
Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 4:00 PM EDT
Add to Calendar

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
Looks like a nice remote place to ride. Mostly state and federal forest area small town ( pop. like 44? ). I’m going from S/E Michigan all backroads and making the normal 6hr trip into a 9hr (total) no expressway two day relaxing trip.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Needs a good bump ...
I hope this rally happens as I signed up.
Anyone who wants to register - the linky is "Add to Calendar " in the 1st post.
a bit confusing but it leads to the registration page :)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Needs a good bump ...
I hope this rally happens as I signed up.
Anyone who wants to register - the linky is "Add to Calendar " in the 1st post.
a bit confusing but it leads to the registration page :)
Yea got my ticket the first day, so, hopefully this COVID stuff is past.

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
Betting a lot of rallies will be canceled this year. I just saw the BMW National Rally in June was canceled. Not that I had planned to go, but many in our club are BMW riders and had planned to.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Yea that sux’s
I guess hope for the best and plan for the worst.

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts
Would be nice to make my September rally. Fundamentally, the border needs to be open again. But I also hope all the unsettled folks south of the border are happy again, and with any luck, the Canadian BeaverBack can regain a bit of value. :rolleyes:

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Would be nice to make my September rally. Fundamentally, the border needs to be open again. But I also hope all the unsettled folks south of the border are happy again, and with any luck, the Canadian BeaverBack can regain a bit of value. :rolleyes:
Yea hopefully..
Tho about your cash, just how can ANYONE take seriously money called “looney” we’ll at least you got the queen of Canada on your money...Oh wait !! Never mind it’s the queen of ENGLAND..
Just kidding ! Sorry DT just HAD to poke for of it..
To those reading this ; southeast Michigan ( where I’m from) it kinda like Canada’s weird second cousin that no one wants to admit to, my city is considered to be in the Detroit metropolitan area and I’m actually closer to the Canadian border than I am to the city of Detroit..

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts
Yea hopefully..
Tho about your cash, just how can ANYONE take seriously money called “looney” we’ll at least you got the queen of Canada on your money...Oh wait !! Never mind it’s the queen of ENGLAND..
Just kidding ! Sorry DT just HAD to poke for of it
Hey ya - the Queen - yeah ... we still have that on our coins and a few bills. Gee, um, keep forgettin' that. Thanks for reminding me.

Actually, many of our new bills have faces of significant Canadians now and more to come.

For example: Our latest $10 note is international award-winning ...

... but back to discussions that the AT demands.

(Aside: Today you give me a barrel of crude oil - thank you very much, said in Elvis voice - AND I get to keep the 10.)

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
3,007 Posts
Hey ya - the Queen - yeah ... we still have that on our coins and a few bills. Gee, um, keep forgettin' that. Thanks for reminding me.

Actually, many of our new bills have faces of significant Canadians now and more to come.

For example: Our latest $10 note is international award-winning ...

View attachment 54545

... but back to discussions that the AT demands.

(Aside: Today you give me a barrel of crude oil - thank you very much, said in Elvis voice - AND I get to keep the 10.)
yea gotta say I do really like the new bills, but then you guys have ALWAYS had much, much better looking money then us, even the old stuff.
BTW yea gas is unbelievably cheap, now that no one can go anywhere

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts
Okay, first off I did not know this monument was in some forsaken place near MacDonald Township, Ontario.

Second, it is "loonie", not "looney".

And third, that is a nice lookin' shaft-drive Triumph, I must say.

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
Echo bay :)

Snagged it on the way back for our visit to Ft. St. Joseph National Historic Site at the bottom of St. Joseph Island. That was a nice visit and lunch at La Terraza Franzisi in Richards Island was the icing on the cake. I haven't been there in years, so I don't have any idea if it is still good. But at the time it was a very nice lunch with beautiful views.

There is also a Toonie monument in Campbellford, but I have not been :)

As for the shaft? That is the one that gave me the shaft, as did it's the predecessor 2013 model that gave me the shaft even harder than that one :)

More of the "Green Menace"

And where its predecessor spent 2.5 of it's first 3 months with shaft related problems :)

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts

And where its predecessor spent 2.5 of it's first 3 months with shaft related problems :)

View attachment 54561
Yeah, that must have really been a lunchbox let-down. :cautious:

I've had four shaft drive rides (two Yamaha, two Honda) and other than being a bit of extra weight, I really liked them. I would have never thought well into the 21st century that a shaft configuration would be so problematic. But, I have never had a Triumph shaft.

·
Administrator
3,330 Posts
Yeah, that must have really been a lunchbox let-down. :cautious:

I've had four shaft drive rides (two Yamaha, two Honda) and other than being a bit of extra weight, I really liked them. I would have never thought well into the 21st century that a shaft configuration would be so problematic. But, I have never had a Triumph shaft.
It began where it would lag and then slingshot when the shaft finally caught, and then eventually would not go into 1st anymore while still lagging and slingshotting in the other gears. That was not the only issue with the bike as it turns out, but I will get to that.

After having it in the shop for weeks and working remotely with Triumph, they finally figured out that shaft was misaligned from the factory, basically causing the shaft to cannibalize itself over time. They ordered replacement parts for it, but they were back-ordered and it took a couple of weeks for them to arrive. At this point, we were one month into the shop still having it while it still had temp tags. OK, that was annoying enough, but when the replacement shaft finally arrived, the dealership noted the entire shaft was coated with a thin film of rust and they informed Triumph that they refused to install it in that condition. Rinse and repeat with the backorder and finally getting the new shaft. To Triumphs credit, they expedited it when it finally arrived in the UK, but it was another couple of weeks. Now 6 weeks in they get the bike together....

... but there was also a recall in the meantime that had to do with the valves, so they also had to do a top rebuild of the engine. That required more time for parts, more time for labor. They get it back together and notice it still making an uncomfortable noise and determine it now needs a bottom end rebuild. Now we are about 8 weeks in and me with a bike that still had temp tags, requiring a new shaft drive and a top and bottom end rebuild of the engine. I think it only had maybe 800 miles? Triumph hems and haws about what to do next and due to a NDA I can't say what they do next.

... cut to the green menace. I am assured by Triumph that the issues of the 2013 shaft are behind the Explorer and there is no way that the issue will repeat on the new 2014 Explorer XC! Um yeah, except it did. The exact same problem. Rinse and repeat again, except without the backorder issues or the rusty shaft.

All fixed and good right? Well no. It began to have problems again down the road. Back to the dealership it went. They opened up the transmission and after some back and forth with mother Triumph, admitted that when they rebuilt the tranny, they probably should have also replaced the clutch basket, but didn't because Triumph wouldn't authorize it, but now they will.

Got it fixed, road it to Michigan, sold it when I got back.

That was the last Triumph I purchased. The last one I owned was a 2013 Street Triple that my wife and I rode, but not enough. We sold it a couple of years later.

·
Super Moderator
6,433 Posts
Cuch - that is such a disappointing experience. I haven't personally heard one that bad in probably decades from any manufacturer. This will cast a shadow how I see showroom Triumphs hereon in. Because of this, there is reason why you might feel off in regards to your ATAS fuel tank issue.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts