Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New AT owner here..

I am getting mixed input from other AT owners.

My question is about integrated rear brakes.

By that I mean: when you step on the rear brake pedal, this also provide a small amount of front wheel braking (1 of the 2 front rotors).

I have had AT owners say yes this is how it works.
And other say NO it does not do this..

I'm just curious about my new machine.

Kenneth

·
Registered
437 Posts
test it. Raise the front wheel off the ground and spin it, then press the rear brake pedal and see what happens.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the AT comes with Honda's DCBS, or Dual control braking system. This just wouldn't be good for all the offroad riders. Don't they just all come with ABS anyways? Not sure about in the US but I think ABS has been compulsory on bikes in Europe since 2016.

I have the DCBS on my 2004 Varadero, and this is a good explanation of what it does:

"Braking the Varadero are large 296mm dual discs up front and a 256mm disc at the back. These are linked by Honda’s ‘Dual Combined Braking System’ (DCBS). Whereby pulling the front brake lever activates 2 of the 3 pistons in the front calipers while also activating pressure on 1 of the 3 pistons in the rear caliper. Likewise depressing the rear brake will activate 2 of the 3 pistons on the rear caliper and also apply pressure to 1 of the 3 pistons of each front caliper. The system works very well, especially on the road. But when things get down and dirty in the gravel this rider would prefer to rely on a conventional system"

It's actually a great system. Feels really safe and I can jump on that back brake and it won't slide at all. Gives good confident braking even if needed in corners but I don't think it's on the AT.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The CRF 1000 does not have DCBS but you can replicate it by using your right hand and right foot at the same time :)
Hahaha good one, and true to an extent. But then again the Vara never suffered from having a plunging rear brake pedal like the GS1200 does.
And that's why I went for a manual AT. I like using my left hand and left foot too :p

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
Hahaha good one, and true to an extent. But then again the Vara never suffered from having a plunging rear brake pedal like the GS1200 does.
And that's why I went for a manual AT. I like using my left hand and left foot too :p
GS riders never use their left hands, to wave anyway!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Whew... good thing I've never owned a GS or I'd get kicked off this forum!
Funny you should say that, as I have owned one, the same one for just under 22 years. and still have it today as a bit of a winter hack. Slowly building up towards selling it. Though I really am in two minds... as with its heavily modified 40" seat height it fits me perfectly.:wink2:

Had it long before 'adventure bikes' was a thing. when there were only 2 other bikes like it. The Africa Twin and the original Triumph Tiger.

I never really 'got' the whole adventure bike craze.. watching it from the sidelines mainly and when it became a trend.. the next BIG THING. I just chuckled to myself and wondered 'what took you so long?'

I like my GS... but i was never a GSer. and I wave at everyone.. though I must admit, 1200GS owners do tend to look down their noses at my old tractor... I couldn't care less.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
New AT owner here..

I am getting mixed input from other AT owners.

My question is about integrated rear brakes.

By that I mean: when you step on the rear brake pedal, this also provide a small amount of front wheel braking (1 of the 2 front rotors).

I have had AT owners say yes this is how it works.
And other say NO it does not do this..

I'm just curious about my new machine.

Kenneth
no dual combine brake system , no C ABS for Africa twin (luckily!)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Intergrated brakes are designed for beginners
And the VFR. I know lots of riders moaned about them but they worked really well. I was kind of surprised when the AT came out that the bike didn't follow in the footsteps of the Varadero. It was a big piece of meat and the ABS and linked brakes worked very well. Don't knock it until you try it. I think you'll see it pop up on Honda's future bikes again - it was a technology just ahead of its time - kinda like the old automatic Honda motorcycles from the 70s and 80s. Funny how that caught on, eh?

Reactions: VaraderoTwin

·
Registered
510 Posts
Linked brakes on this would just be something else for the technology-haters to bitch about. "I'll never have a bike without a clutch". "You can't completely defeat the ABS". "My speedometer is off". "My ambient temp gauge is off". Probably the same guys who don't like tubed tires. And wish it had cruise control.

·
Registered
CRF1100L DCT
295 Posts
Linked brakes on this would just be something else for the technology-haters to bitch about. "I'll never have a bike without a clutch". "You can't completely defeat the ABS". "My speedometer is off". "My ambient temp gauge is off". Probably the same guys who don't like tubed tires. And wish it had cruise control.
And those fangled disc brakes, give me drums and while you're at it a right foot gear change and kick starter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts